Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2018, 08:35 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Long-Time Lurker finally joins

Good evening. I have used Pentax Forums for a long time as a rich source of information, but my time for posting on photo forums is so limited that I have never registered. My time won't be any less limited now, but it was time for me to finally become at least visible.

I have been a Pentax user for a very long time, but not exclusively so. After my Mamiya/Sekor 1000DTL was stolen (that is an age test that I just failed), I bought a Pentax KX--the first one--with the little adapter rings to convert my M42 screw-mount lenses to the brand-new K mount. After a fall from a tripod, the body cracked diagonally across the frame opening. So, I bought another one--this time with teh oh-so-sexy black body. But I started doing professional work, partly with a Mamiya TLR, and (thought I) needed a 35mm camera with interchangeable finders. This was before the LX, so I bought a Canon F1 and my small format cameras have been Canons ever since (F1, T90, Elan, 10D and most recently--but still over a decade back--a 5D).

And I also pursued large-format photography, which is still a passion for when I can devote time to it. I used a Linhof in college, then bought a (truly terrible) Newton New-Vue, followed by a Calumet, a Cambo, and now a Sinar. There's probably a Speed Graphic in there somewhere, too, and a couple of Travelwides. I still help moderate (mostly invisibly) the Large Format Photography Forum, and I have been receiving PDML digests for a number of years.

But medium format has always been my sweet spot. I used Mamiya TLR's commercially (for their flexibility) and a Rolleiflex for fun. The Lust Camera in that format for me was the Pentax 6x7, which was expensive and I could never justify it for commercial work that I did. And that work diminished to a dribble, still in the late 70's or early 80's, as my engineering career became more demanding. In the 90's, out of a sense of goofy curiosity, I became a "collector" of junque: Kiev 60, Pentacon Six, Exakta 66, Kiev 88 and a wide range of lenses, sublime and ridiculous. But none of those were ever dependable enough for commercial work, despite that the Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 lens in the Pentacon Six mount is the best portrait lens in all of medium format in my humble view. I still pay the fee every month to host the nearly-but-not-quite defunct Kiev Report forum.

My wife (alas, a confirmed Nikon user) and I started doing some commercial work again in the early 2000's, but digital stuff was not up to that standard, and we bought a new 645NII rig, including the 45-85 zoom. It had the automation she needed if she was going to use a medium-format camera. I added a 645N body with a 75mm leaf shutter lens for working with studio lights (I still have a full Speedotron D1600 kit--now fit for a museum but still quite effective on those rare occasions when I need studio lights). And then, when prices came down enough, I finally filled out a Pentax 6x7 kit, the first one of which I bought in Alaska in 2007. I've attached a recent photo made using the 67 (and 45mm lens) on a snowy day at Craters of the Moon NM in Idaho.

And now I have a 645z on the way. It costs about what I spent for the N, NII, 45-85, Pentax flash, two 120 inserts, two 220 inserts... But I have been building up to this purchase ever since it came out. The price has finally gotten low enough with the recent rebate. And my wife is spending her money because this is a big birthday year for me (the only good beer is FreeBeer, right?) This forum has never struck me as being very active with medium-format film Pentaxes (which may just be my ignorance), but the 645z shares a lot of technology with small-format digital Pentaxes.

Pentax was always a company that hit above its weight, and Ricoh has, near as I can tell, done right by the old marque. I'm happy to be increasing my investment in it.

The lenses I have for the 645z (even before the body is in my hands): FA 35, FA 45-85, 75LS, 120 A Macro, FA 400/5.6 ED(IF). And I can adapt my 67 lenses to it (35 fisheye, 45, 55, 105, 135, 200, 300), plus all the Pentacon Six-mount lenses (mostly limited to the 30 fisheye, 55 PCS, and 180/2.8 Sonnar--the others are redundant or aren't up to it). I have bought a lottery ticket with "28-45" written on it.

Anyway, that's my pitch.

Rick "Greetings" Denney

Attached Images

02-22-2018, 10:23 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia Rick, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Great introduction, I know more about you now than some of the more established members here !! Good to have you aboard.

PS. Excellent 1st image.
02-22-2018, 10:34 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums! I lurked here for better part of a year before joining, I hope you enjoy it here. I look forward to seeing more of your images and we have a few members that do a lot of work in medium format (something I hope to start again soon).
02-23-2018, 04:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Rick, welcome to the forum

02-24-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, as you say it's good to know your there.
03-10-2018, 08:16 AM   #6
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
Good evening. I have used Pentax Forums for a long time as a rich source of information, but my time for posting on photo forums is so limited that I have never registered. My time won't be any less limited now, but it was time for me to finally become at least visible.

I have been a Pentax user for a very long time, . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Anyway, that's my pitch.

Rick "Greetings" Denney

Somehow I missed your intro Rick. I know you from the Large Format Photography Forum.

Welcome to the Pentax Clubhouse.

Cheers,
Racer
05-30-2018, 10:23 AM   #7
Forum Member

I have been a Pentax user for a very long time, but not exclusively so. After my Mamiya/Sekor 1000DTL was stolen (that is an age test that I just failed), I bought a Pentax KX--the first one--with the little adapter rings to convert my M42 screw-mount lenses to the brand-new K mount. After a fall from a tripod, the body cracked diagonally across the frame opening. So, I bought another one--this time with teh oh-so-sexy black body. But I started doing professional work, partly with a Mamiya TLR, and (thought I) needed a 35mm camera with interchangeable finders. This was before the LX, so I bought a Canon F1 and my small format cameras have been Canons ever since (F1, T90, Elan, 10D and most recently--but still over a decade back--a 5D).

And I also pursued large-format photography, which is still a passion for when I can devote time to it. I used a Linhof in college, then bought a (truly terrible) Newton New-Vue, followed by a Calumet, a Cambo, and now a Sinar. There's probably a Speed Graphic in there somewhere, too, and a couple of Travelwides. I still help moderate (mostly invisibly) the Large Format Photography Forum, and I have been receiving PDML digests for a number of years.

But medium format has always been my sweet spot. I used Mamiya TLR's commercially (for their flexibility) and a Rolleiflex for fun. The Lust Camera in that format for me was the Pentax 6x7, which was expensive and I could never justify it for commercial work that I did. And that work diminished to a dribble, still in the late 70's or early 80's, as my engineering career became more demanding. In the 90's, out of a sense of goofy curiosity, I became a "collector" of junque: Kiev 60, Pentacon Six, Exakta 66, Kiev 88 and a wide range of lenses, sublime and ridiculous. But none of those were ever dependable enough for commercial work, despite that the Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 lens in the Pentacon Six mount is the best portrait lens in all of medium format in my humble view. I still pay the fee every month to host the nearly-but-not-quite defunct Kiev Report forum.

My wife (alas, a confirmed Nikon user) and I started doing some commercial work again in the early 2000's, but digital stuff was not up to that standard, and we bought a new 645NII rig, including the 45-85 zoom. It had the automation she needed if she was going to use a medium-format camera. I added a 645N body with a 75mm leaf shutter lens for working with studio lights (I still have a full Speedotron D1600 kit--now fit for a museum but still quite effective on those rare occasions when I need studio lights). And then, when prices came down enough, I finally filled out a Pentax 6x7 kit, the first one of which I bought in Alaska in 2007. I've attached a recent photo made using the 67 (and 45mm lens) on a snowy day at Craters of the Moon NM in Idaho.

And now I have a 645z on the way. It costs about what I spent for the N, NII, 45-85, Pentax flash, two 120 inserts, two 220 inserts... But I have been building up to this purchase ever since it came out. The price has finally gotten low enough with the recent rebate. And my wife is spending her money because this is a big birthday year for me (the only good beer is FreeBeer, right?) This forum has never struck me as being very active with medium-format film Pentaxes (which may just be my ignorance), but the 645z shares a lot of technology with small-format digital Pentaxes.

Pentax was always a company that hit above its weight, and Ricoh has, near as I can tell, done right by the old marque. I'm happy to be increasing my investment in it.

The lenses I have for the 645z (even before the body is in my hands): FA 35, FA 45-85, 75LS, 120 A Macro, FA 400/5.6 ED(IF). And I can adapt my 67 lenses to it (35 fisheye, 45, 55, 105, 135, 200, 300), plus all the Pentacon Six-mount lenses (mostly limited to the 30 fisheye, 55 PCS, and 180/2.8 Sonnar--the others are redundant or aren't up to it). I have bought a lottery ticket with "28-45" written on it.

Anyway, that's my pitch.

Rick "Greetings" Denney
Greetings Rick "former lurker now formal colleague and eloquent contributor to our Forum" Denney !
I have been more consistently perusing the Medium Format section the past few weeks, and I have been struck by your thoughtful posts. I did not realize till today that it was only recently that you formally joined our ranks.
Your erudite and well written contributions are really helpful to me personally as i plan what i hope will be an entry into Pentax medium format. Your 'lens reviews' and other entries are already a significant resource and add to our 'data base'.
A belated welcome !

05-30-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Great introduction, I know more about you now than some of the more established members here !!
Yes - I must get round to introducing myself sometime - thanks for the reminder - ah, my 2,500th post - yes, maybe a tad overdue

Welcome from sunny Dorset, UK, rdenney!
05-12-2021, 03:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi, welcome.
05-12-2021, 08:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to this forum. quite a history you have with photography. Look forward to seeing more of your work.
05-13-2021, 04:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ShutterPro Quote
Hi, welcome.
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Welcome to this forum. quite a history you have with photography. Look forward to seeing more of your work.
It's a 3 year old thread and the OP now has 600 posts
05-13-2021, 04:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello, old friend! We do seem to travel in the same circles! Happy to see that you're still active and hoped to find some time to catch up after all these years!!!

73 Joe W3BC
05-31-2021, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shupienis Quote
Hello, old friend! We do seem to travel in the same circles! Happy to see that you're still active and hoped to find some time to catch up after all these years!!!

73 Joe W3BC

Joe, it’s been a long time. Still have the Kievs? I do, but I confess I don’t use the cameras any longer.

Rick “still paying to keep the Kiev Report alive, though” Denney
06-21-2021, 10:09 PM   #14
Forum Member

Welcome to the forum!
06-22-2021, 06:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Joe, it’s been a long time. Still have the Kievs? I do, but I confess I don’t use the cameras any longer.

Rick “still paying to keep the Kiev Report alive, though” Denney
Rick --

I still have 'em, and still have film in the fridge, but haven't used them in years. I will, while it's still possible to develop them! I still have all the lenses (thanks to your fine info over the years) and the ARE being put to good use on my K1-ii and K3-iii! Here's one example using the Schneider-Kreuznach 60/3.5 Curtagon on the K3-iii, cropped and resampled to HD wallpaper size.

In other news, I'm much more involved in amateur radio than ever, and serving my third term as ARRL Western Pennsylvania Section Manager. I'll be at the Firecracker Hamfest in Harrisburg on July 3 and at the Chambersburg Hamfest on July 31, if you should feel up to a drive from Virginia.

Great to run into you again, and thanks for your support of an odd but interesting family of cameras.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo