Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2018, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #1

Sony a7 user here

Hello, I'm Keyser from the Netherlands.
I am interested in adapting Pentax glass on my Sony A7

03-20-2018, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You probably should ask in a Sony Forum. Plus there's such a vast selection of Sony Glass at reasonable prices, I don't understand why you would want these old Pentax lens
03-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome Keyser. I am a new Sony user, pre-ordered a a7iii.
03-20-2018, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by keysersoze Quote
Hello, Keyser!

I'm a Pentax and Sony user, with a Sony A7 MkII. Some folks here get a little funny about the brand thing, but not many

There's some wonderful Pentax glass that I'm sure you'll enjoy with the A7,

Welcome aboard!

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
You probably should ask in a Sony Forum
My experience of various Sony forums is that PF is much better... and we have plenty of non-Pentax and dual-system folks here who can help

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-20-2018 at 05:17 PM.
03-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Any of the Sony users try the E-Mount prime lenses? Those lenses are tailored made for the Alpha series.

There are also the older Minolta manual lenses to choose from.
03-20-2018, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! You're not alone- we have lots of A7 users here, and plenty of lens reviews from A7 users. Next thing you know we'll create a dedicated lens forum for adapted use. Pentax lenses seem to be quite popular given their excellent value.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Any of the Sony users try the E-Mount prime lenses? Those lenses are tailored made for the Alpha series.

I don't use *any* E-mount lenses with my A7 MkII... I adapt my Sony A and Minolta AF mount glass for AF work, and for manual focus I adapt M42, M39SLR, M39RF, K-mount and F-mount. No Canon lenses yet, but I'm sure I'll get round to it eventually

There's a *lot* of choice... including all the older and excellent Pentax glass

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-20-2018 at 05:10 PM.
03-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I don't use *any* E-mount lenses with my A7 MkII... I adapt my Sony A and Minolta AF mount glass for AF work, and for manual focus I adapt M42, M39SLR, M39RF, K-mount and F-mount. No Canon lenses yet, but I'm sure I'll get round to it eventually

Interesting BigMackCam.

If I had a Sony Alpha I think I would be tempted to get the FE 28mm ƒ2. It's dust & moisture protected. Thankfully I don't have a Sony Alpha because the 28 would lead to the 55mm ƒ1.8 then the 85mm etc...You know how that goes.
03-20-2018, 05:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome, I think there are quite a few A7 users here, I'm not one but do I do have a Sony a6000 along with my Pentax cameras. This is a great place to find out about different lenses, if you see specific lenses, just start a thread and ask, you'll get good information.

You probably should ask in a Sony Forum. Plus there's such a vast selection of Sony Glass at reasonable prices, I don't understand why you would want these old Pentax lens
Most of the Sony e glass is pretty expensive. If you are going to use manual adapters old Pentax glass can be very high quality and can be found at nice prices.

I have a couple of e mount primes, I really like the 20/2.8, I also have the 16/2.8 which is nothing special, at least that's my impression, but it was bought used and cheap.
03-20-2018, 07:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I sold what I had including the FE55/1.8, keeping only a cheap Sigma E 35/2.8 (apsc lens) in the case I need AF for laziness reasons.

Reasons :
1. AF is very "CDAF like" for my A7 (ie. not fast despite what they tell me on the advertisement year after year for these MILC cameras )
2. The FE lenses have the shortest flange distance and are electronic, meaning that if Sony changes mount or gives up the business, thats the end of the lenses; So I have chosen to use RF/SLR lenses with adapters instead.
3. Most of the FE lenses are not that small, esp compared to RF or Pentax lenses (even with adapter).
4. I found that I prefer MF
5. I like the character of older MF lenses
6. The "sharper at the edges from wide open" for the modern FE lenses are an oxymoron to me; If I want all sharp, I usually need the DOF too. If I want shallow DOF, I what a good de-emphasis on the other parts so no need for "all sharp", sharp enough will do where if counts.

---------- Post added 03-21-2018 at 10:31 AM ----------

Welcome...

I have an A7K (Kolari modified) and use manual lenses on it.

Started a thread here for all Pentax lenses on FF here too...
Pentax Lenses on FF Club - PentaxForums.com
03-20-2018, 10:40 PM   #11
Closed Account

Welcome to the Pentax forums.
03-21-2018, 06:43 AM   #12

Original Poster
There are enough lenses to choose from. I use/used some native Sony FE glass, but using manual focus glass with a nice damped helicoid is more enjoyable for me.

---------- Post added 03-21-18 at 07:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Welcome Keyser. I am a new Sony user, pre-ordered a a7iii.
Thank you!
I hope you will like it!

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Welcome to the Pentax forums.
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I sold what I had including the FE55/1.8, keeping only a cheap Sigma E 35/2.8 (apsc lens) in the case I need AF for laziness reasons.

Reasons :
1. AF is very "CDAF like" for my A7 (ie. not fast despite what they tell me on the advertisement year after year for these MILC cameras )
2. The FE lenses have the shortest flange distance and are electronic, meaning that if Sony changes mount or gives up the business, thats the end of the lenses; So I have chosen to use RF/SLR lenses with adapters instead.
3. Most of the FE lenses are not that small, esp compared to RF or Pentax lenses (even with adapter).
4. I found that I prefer MF
5. I like the character of older MF lenses
6. The "sharper at the edges from wide open" for the modern FE lenses are an oxymoron to me; If I want all sharp, I usually need the DOF too. If I want shallow DOF, I what a good de-emphasis on the other parts so no need for "all sharp", sharp enough will do where if counts.

---------- Post added 03-21-2018 at 10:31 AM ----------

Welcome...

I have an A7K (Kolari modified) and use manual lenses on it.

Started a thread here for all Pentax lenses on FF here too...
Pentax Lenses on FF Club - PentaxForums.com
These reasons are also relevant for my decision to use my a7 with (classic) manual glass. The Kolari mod will give you a lot more options to use some great RF glass and mall wide angle lenses.
Thank you, I will take a look!

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Welcome, I think there are quite a few A7 users here, I'm not one but do I do have a Sony a6000 along with my Pentax cameras. This is a great place to find out about different lenses, if you see specific lenses, just start a thread and ask, you'll get good information.
Thank you for the warm welcome!

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

Thank you! I am not a Sony fanboy, but the a7 is for me the best way for digital full frame photography.

The FE 28mm F2 is a nice lens. It is not perfect, but the best bang for the buck. It is small. It has nice soft bokeh for environmental portraits. Stopped down it is sharp across the frame. Wide open it is great for astrophotography, because it has a very good coma correction.
Distortion and wide open corner softness are the drawbacks of the lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Welcome aboard! You're not alone- we have lots of A7 users here, and plenty of lens reviews from A7 users. Next thing you know we'll create a dedicated lens forum for adapted use. Pentax lenses seem to be quite popular given their excellent value.
Thank you for the warm welcome! I used the K55/2, M40/2.8 and SMC Macro-Tak 100mm! I hope to use more Pentax glass soon!

If I had a Sony Alpha I think I would be tempted to get the FE 28mm ƒ2. It's dust & moisture protected. Thankfully I don't have a Sony Alpha because the 28 would lead to the 55mm ƒ1.8 then the 85mm etc...You know how that goes.
I can really recommend the FE 28mm F2. It is an excellent multipurpose walkabout lens. But I sold it because I like the colours and rendition more of my Konica Hexanon AR 28/3.5 (7 elements version) more. Sure, the FE 28mm is a better lens in almost everything. But the Konica gives me more pleasing results for regular photography.
03-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome aboard, Sony isn't a brand I'm familiar with, but see you've already had some good responses.
03-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome aboard, Sony isn't a brand I'm familiar with, but see you've already had some good responses.
Thank you!
03-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

What Sony lens is reasonably priced?