Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2018, 08:29 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
looking forward to seeing your contributions

haven't been to RA since the 90's, live in Iowa then,

but it is the longest road course in NA 4 miles

Michael Andretti lost a race there once running out of gas trying to make it up hill to the finish line

I saw 2 Cart Races there and photographed Walter Payton the Hall of Fame Chicago Bears Running Back with a Pentax and Series 1 70 - 210mm zoom one year while he raced in the Trans Am ( ?) series, watched him wreck and catch fire in about the same place the next year, gave him a copy of the photo and he signed my copy " Thank You Very Much - Walter Payton # 34
I also saw Payton in a Trans Am car at Mid-Ohio during a CART weekend, didn't get to meet him though. I did get Nigel Mansell's autograph at a Mid-Ohio CART weekend, I'll never forget to intense look in his eyes. That man could drive the wheels off an open wheel car.

03-24-2018, 09:27 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slovell1 Quote
I also saw Payton in a Trans Am car at Mid-Ohio during a CART weekend, didn't get to meet him though. I did get Nigel Mansell's autograph at a Mid-Ohio CART weekend, I'll never forget to intense look in his eyes. That man could drive the wheels off an open wheel car.
Mansell was there, I think the first time I went to RA was the year he won the championship

a couple of the nice things about RA at the time was the low cost of getting in the pits and how close you got to everything in the pit and how close you could get to the track
03-25-2018, 12:25 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Mansell was there, I think the first time I went to RA was the year he won the championship

a couple of the nice things about RA at the time was the low cost of getting in the pits and how close you got to everything in the pit and how close you could get to the track
A three day ticket with a pit pass at Mid-Ohio was $65 for the CART event, still got my stub in my bag.
03-25-2018, 02:51 PM   #19

Original Poster
My K5 will be here tomorrow. I bought it on EBay from a guy in California so he had to have shipped it Priority Mail. The photos looked good and it has a little over 6500 shutter count, couldn't see any scratches and it also has the battery pack. I don't think I have any autofocus lenses but the 28/90 Vivitar Series 1 does have contacts on the mount, the 70/210 Series 1 doesn't.

03-26-2018, 04:37 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might want to read this prior to the body arriving:

Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com
03-26-2018, 04:20 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You might want to read this prior to the body arriving:

Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com
The K5 body came today and it's in like new condition. It's quite a difference from what I was used to, so many modes and adjustments it's intimidating. Makes me wonder if I'll ever learn how to use it. One good thing, my Series 1 28 to 90 is a P/K-A mount so it'll work rather well on the K5. Man I've got a lot of studying to do, first I've got to figure out how to format the SD card. I guess I need to move over to the K5 forum and start asking questions.
03-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slovell1 Quote
. . . Man I've got a lot of studying to do, first I've got to figure out how to format the SD card. I guess I need to move over to the K5 forum and start asking questions.

you might want to consider spending more $

there is always something else to buy isn't there

here is what I mean:

Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, K-70,K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2 and more DSLRs)

Read more at: Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, K-70,K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2 and more DSLRs) - Page 8 - PentaxForums.com

03-26-2018, 05:57 PM   #23

Welcome to the forum. I am in Goose Creek, SC about 20 miles out of Charleston. If you have any questions, you are in the right place. There are some true experts in Pentax equipment and the art of photography here and everyone will help.

I have had 6 Pentax cameras. I have 5 DSLR and over 20 manual lenses and only 3 autofocus. I love the old glass. There are some great things with the K-5. I have one and shoot it with manual and auto lenses. Manual setting will feel like your old friend. The Green button will let you use the on board sensor to get a starting point exposure at your chosen f stop and ISO (ASA) and you can safely use ISO to 5000 or more. You can adjust the shutter speed with a wheel, or program in a +/- exposure compensation.

I got my first SLR in 1977 and had M42 mount. I still have a Fujica AZ-1 and Pentax ESII.

Jump in and have fun.

JB
03-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First, you can do this. Second, take a field trip to Charlotte NC and we can chat.
03-26-2018, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

when you folk hold your proposed get together of Pentax enthusiasts, consider documenting the event by posting photos in the appropriate thread

Are we really THAT rare? - PentaxForums.com

or one of your own creation like these guys:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/346433-there-tea...ml#post4004913

to provide proof that there are signs of intelligent life out there