Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #1

Hello from South Carolina USA

I finally made the jump to a DSLR with a used K5 body. I'd been using an MX with Vivitar Series 1 lenses and, of course, a K-1000. I read an article that said I could still use my lenses on the K5 so I decided to get back in. Hopefully this forum can educate me on how to use my, very new to me, camera and I'll finally start enjoying photography again now that I'm retired and have the time. I used to do a lot of road racing photography in the 70's, 80's, and 90's (sports cars, Indy cars, F1) then life got in the way. I've missed it.
Kind Regards, Sam

03-23-2018, 10:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slovell1 Quote
I finally made the jump to a DSLR with a used K5 body. I'd been using an MX with Vivitar Series 1 lenses and, of course, a K-1000. I read an article that said I could still use my lenses on the K5 so I decided to get back in. Hopefully this forum can educate me on how to use my, very new to me, camera and I'll finally start enjoying photography again now that I'm retired and have the time. I used to do a lot of road racing photography in the 70's, 80's, and 90's (sports cars, Indy cars, F1) then life got in the way. I've missed it.
Kind Regards, Sam
Hey Sam! I'm up in the Charlotte NC area not too far from SC. Do you ever get to Camden? They host a rocket launch there every month that might be interesting to see you take pictures of.
03-23-2018, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Hey Sam! I'm up in the Charlotte NC area not too far from SC. Do you ever get to Camden? They host a rocket launch there every month that might be interesting to see you take pictures of.
A rocket launch? Haven't been to Camden in years. Went down to Road Atlanta last week to watch the Ferrari Clienti meet. They had around a dozen F1 cars and at least that many FXX cars. It was a lot of fun to watch the rich boys and their toys. I hadn't been to a track in years. Going down for that is what planted the seed for a DSLR. The bug has bitten!
03-23-2018, 11:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A rocket launch? Haven't been to Camden in years. Went down to Road Atlanta last week to watch the Ferrari Clienti meet. They had around a dozen F1 cars and at least that many FXX cars. It was a lot of fun to watch the rich boys and their toys. I hadn't been to a track in years. Going down for that is what planted the seed for a DSLR. The bug has bitten!
They fly everything from small Estes rockets the size of a dime in diameter to monsters that are 8-12" in diameter and hundreds of pounds.
The high g force lift offs can be startling - some can leave the pad at 30g's. Others are more leisurely and leave at 3-5g's. Make no mistake this stuff is spectacular if you like rockets - just scaled down a bit from the professional stuff. All solid propellant no liquid - some liquid stuff is practiced out west but none on the east coast that I know of.

EDIT: There are some who fly hybrids - solid fuel nitrous oxide liquid oxidizer but these are rarer these days.

03-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
They fly everything from small Estes rockets the size of a dime in diameter to monsters that are 8-12" in diameter and hundreds of pounds.
The high g force lift offs can be startling - some can leave the pad at 30g's. Others are more leisurely and leave at 3-5g's. Make no mistake this stuff is spectacular if you like rockets - just scaled down a bit from the professional stuff. All solid propellant no liquid - some liquid stuff is practiced out west but none on the east coast that I know of.

EDIT: There are some who fly hybrids - solid fuel nitrous oxide liquid oxidizer but these are rarer these days.
I used to order rockets from Estes back in the late 50's and into the 60's, nothing advanced. Man, I just realized I'm older than dirt. I had a cool uncle that worked for Von Braun at NASA/Huntsville during the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs. He did engineering on the boosters and died from a stroke during the Saturn V tests. He used to take me where the tours couldn't go, amazing stuff for a kid's eyes and mind. I'd love to see the model rockets and you're right that they're a lot faster than most realize.
03-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome Sam,
Hope to see some images from your K-5 here soon. Lots of folks with knowledge who can answer any questions you have. I suspect that with your experience your only questions may be on digital processing and not the actual shooting of images.
03-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello from South Carolina USA
Welcome from the Highlands of Scotland, enjoy all the forum has to offer.
03-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Welcome Sam,
Hope to see some images from your K-5 here soon. Lots of folks with knowledge who can answer any questions you have. I suspect that with your experience your only questions may be on digital processing and not the actual shooting of images.
It shipped today so I should have it next week.

---------- Post added 03-23-18 at 04:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome from the Highlands of Scotland, enjoy all the forum has to offer.
Thanks, I'm sure I will.

03-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome

I have found this information to be very helpful to me

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

have you ever travelled to Wisconsin on your trips regarding auto racing

If you want to make that trip, Road America with its 4 mile road track is worth the trip

Welcome to Road America Elkhart Lake's Road America, Inc.
03-23-2018, 05:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums. The K-5 performs very well. I had two of them.
03-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Welcome

I have found this information to be very helpful to me

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

have you ever travelled to Wisconsin on your trips regarding auto racing

If you want to make that trip, Road America with its 4 mile road track is worth the trip

Welcome to Road America Elkhart Lake's Road America, Inc.
Been to Mid-Ohio many times but haven't made it to Road America yet. I went to all the Meadowlands and Nazareth CART races and several at Mid-Ohio.Thanks for the info, I look forward to reading it. I've certainly got a lot of catching up to do.

---------- Post added 03-23-18 at 05:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Welcome Sam,
That's correct in that I shot everything with manual cameras. I always enjoyed having to figure everything in my head on the fly. This is going to be a whole new way of doing things for me. The biggest thing I'm going to enjoy is not having to wait for processing to see what I shot. It's amazing how photography has changed over the last decade or so. I'll still miss Kodachrome and Ektachrome though.
03-23-2018, 06:01 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Been to Mid-Ohio many times but haven't made it to Road America yet. I went to all the Meadowlands and Nazareth CART races and several at Mid-Ohio.Thanks for the info, I look forward to reading it. I've certainly got a lot of catching up to do.

---------- Post added 03-23-18 at 05:56 PM ----------

That's correct in that I shot everything with manual cameras. I always enjoyed having to figure everything in my head on the fly. This is going to be a whole new way of doing things for me. The biggest thing I'm going to enjoy is not having to wait for processing to see what I shot. It's amazing how photography has changed over the last decade or so. I'll still miss Kodachrome and Ektachrome though.
looking forward to seeing your contributions

haven't been to RA since the 90's, live in Iowa then,

but it is the longest road course in NA 4 miles

Michael Andretti lost a race there once running out of gas trying to make it up hill to the finish line

I saw 2 Cart Races there and photographed Walter Payton the Hall of Fame Chicago Bears Running Back with a Pentax and Series 1 70 - 210mm zoom one year while he raced in the Trans Am ( ?) series, watched him wreck and catch fire in about the same place the next year, gave him a copy of the photo and he signed my copy " Thank You Very Much - Walter Payton # 34
03-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #13
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia Sam, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you as a member.
03-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Hi Sam, welcome to the forum
03-24-2018, 05:55 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sam if you shot in manual mode before give some thought to what automation you want if any. Manual mode is still an option. However some of the automations are useful. Exposure compensation allows rapid alteration from the calculated exposure to your desired effect if you want, or fully manual makes that moot.