Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwomersley Quote
Hi All,

I have been enthusiastic about photography for a long time and until very recently have only been using Fuji bridge cameras. Over the last year or so I have inherited quite a lot of photography equipment from my Grandad, most of which is Pentax or K-Mount based; in addition to a few 35mm film SLRs I now have a Pentax K100D, a modest selection of vintage lenses and a couple of autofocus lenses.

Having played around with the K100D I've realised how much more creative I can get than with my Fuji bridge camera. Although the K100D is 15 years old it can still snap some really nice photos, but there is a temperamental fault whereby the camera turns off because it thinks the batteries are depleted (even with brand new batteries), yet once it's turned back on it will say the batteries are full and might last another 15 minutes or so if I'm lucky... Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade to a more up-to-date Pentax DSLR and currently weighing up the K-S2 or K-70, any recommendations or advice either way would be greatly appreciated!

Sam
I would opt for the K-70 because of much improved image quality and newer technology even over the K-3II. The K-70 was the first Pentax with their accelerator chip which has found its way into the KP and now into the K-1II. The K-70's price looks to be around 200 USD less than a new K-3II and also has Pixel Shift Resolution like the K-3II as well.

04-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
I wanted the smallest cheapest one I could find to replace the pop-up I had grown used to on my K-7....so that relatively cheap flash did the trick. I almost never use the viewfinder...except when I am using a neutral density filter and the eyepiece is virtually black
Not sure if you can advise on this but... The camera I am mainly using at the moment is a Fuji S1 bridge camera and I'm very happy with it; I am considering buying these Pentax lenses:

Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR
Pentax HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3ED PLM WR RE

I have seen mixed reviews about these but do you think they would be an improvement over the built-in lens in my Fuji?

TIA!
04-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not sure if you can advise on this but... The camera I am mainly using at the moment is a Fuji S1 bridge camera and I'm very happy with it; I am considering buying these Pentax lenses:

Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR
Pentax HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3ED PLM WR RE

I have seen mixed reviews about these but do you think they would be an improvement over the built-in lens in my Fuji?

TIA!
Hmmm, not sure. I just replaced my DA18-55...see

DA 18-55 WR replacement on K-3 II - PentaxForums.com

With the DA 16-85mm....I _just_ was wandering around taking some shorts with this so watch out for my views and images on this thread...

DA 16-85 WR,show us what it can do. - PentaxForums.com

Long lens-wise, the DA60-250mm looks impressive and might be my next purchase but I do not own one and cannot comment.

---------- Post added 2018-04-20 at 13:57 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I would opt for the K-70 because of much improved image quality and newer technology even over the K-3II. The K-70 was the first Pentax with their accelerator chip which has found its way into the KP and now into the K-1II. The K-70's price looks to be around 200 USD less than a new K-3II and also has Pixel Shift Resolution like the K-3II as well.
Just from my own personal ruminations; I almost went with a K-70 and/or a K-P but in the end, choose the K3 II for its better construction and potential longer life. I cannot in any way, shape, or form complain about the image quality on this camera.
04-20-2018, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #19
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not sure if you can advise on this but... The camera I am mainly using at the moment is a Fuji S1 bridge camera and I'm very happy with it; I am considering buying these Pentax lenses: Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR Pentax HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3ED PLM WR RE I have seen mixed reviews about these but do you think they would be an improvement over the built-in lens in my Fuji?
Welcome to PF Sam.

I can't compare with the Fuji, but you should be able to get better images from a DSLR with any reasonable lenses, particularly if you shoot in RAW and do some post-processing. I have both the lenses you are considering, and each is a good lens. There is a long thread devoted to images taken with the DA 18-135, so you can get an idea of what can be done with it: DA 18-135 WR, Show us what it can do - PentaxForums.com As for the 55-300 PLM, it is also very versatile, relatively light weight, has fast and silent autofocus and is capable of producing very good images. You need to spend considerably more money, and cope with more weight and bulk, to get better performance at 300mm.

As for the camera bodies, I have a K-3 and a K-S2. Each is a very good camera and each has its place. I tend to use the K-S2 as my "grab and go" camera, usually with the 18-135 and 55-300 zooms. I generally use the K-3 with bigger lenses like the FA*300 f4.5 or the Sigma 400mm f5.6. Image quality from the K-S2 is very good, it may be slightly better in low light, and the flippy screen is really handy. But the K-3 has far superior autofocus and metering, better battery life, a very quiet shutter and a number of advanced features that make it a pleasure to use.

I agree with @BigMackCam that if the price is comparable, the K-70 is probably an even better choice than the K-S2. The K-70 will give you all the benefits of the K-S2 (compact size, flippy screen, Wifi, no AA filter, etc) with some worthwhile improvements, like a better processor and Pixel Shift. Here's a detailed feature comparison between them: Comparison: Pentax K-70 vs Pentax K-S2 - Which one to get

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the risk of aperture block failure in either of these cameras. If it happens within warranty, you are covered. If not, there's a cheap fix, involving replacing a solenoid, if you are handy. And it only affects a small minority of cameras.

As between the K-3/K-3ii and the K-70, that's a different question. They are different styles of camera. The flagship models have more robust construction, better AF, better metering, a bigger battery, capacity to take a grip, and many small features not found in the entry-level models; the entry-level models are lighter weight but still very well-featured. Here's a detailed comparison between the K-3ii and K-70 to give you an idea: Pentax K-70 vs Pentax K-3 II - A Detailed Feature Comparison

To put this in perspective, any of these models will be a massive improvement from the K100D. I used to have a K100D Super and while I did love it, all the modern models are way ahead. The feature set on the K-70 or K-S2 would keep you going for some time.

Unless you are going to use the camera with big heavy lenses, I'd say go with the K-70. It will be ideal to grow with and it's likely to meet all your needs for some years to come. Just make sure to get at least one spare battery.

BTW, as you may know, you can usually get a very good deal on a DA 18-135 bundled with a new camera.

Down the track you can add more specialty lenses to suit your preferred style of photography. The K-70 will perform well with any of the premium or vintage K-mount lenses. To be honest, I don't hesitate to use the best of my compact lenses (e.g. DFA 100 Macro, FA 43 Ltd, FA 77 Ltd, DA 20-40 Ltd) on the K-S2 - it's quite worthy of them.

Last edited by Des; 04-20-2018 at 03:42 PM.
04-20-2018, 08:48 PM   #20
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Sam, good to have you here.
04-21-2018, 09:13 AM   #21

Original Poster
I've just been testing my Sigma reflex 600m f/8 lens on my K100D and it's too much hassle for me to bother with so I will probably sell it and hopefully get a decent amount to go towards new lenses