Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Hello from NC, USA

Hey folks.

Been shooting and loving Pentax lenses (and cameras) for a while. I shoot most of my 35mm lenses on my X-T1 (don't hate) but wanted to shoot a bit different this summer.

I happened to recently picked up a 645N and a couple lenses. Haven't been this excited about shooting film in a while!! Shot my first test roll the other day and can't wait to get it back from the shop.

Chris

05-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome fellow Carolinian and 645N owner! I love using mine: accurate metering, glorious viewfinder, simple to operate, very good ergonomics.
05-03-2018, 12:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in the Charlotte area and while I don't have a 645 I do have my PZ-1 still. I am looking for somewhere to get some color film developed and all I'm finding is online - are you doing your own wet printing?
05-03-2018, 05:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Welcome fellow Carolinian and 645N owner! I love using mine: accurate metering, glorious viewfinder, simple to operate, very good ergonomics.
Thanks! I am loving playing around with the 645N. Has been really easy getting the feel for it. Awaiting my test roll before I load her up with more.

I am in Raleigh, btw.

---------- Post added 05-03-18 at 05:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm in the Charlotte area and while I don't have a 645 I do have my PZ-1 still. I am looking for somewhere to get some color film developed and all I'm finding is online - are you doing your own wet printing?
There is a good lab in Greenville, NC....ASAP Photo. There is also a place near Charlotte, that I thought processed film. Biggs Camera, maybe? I'll check with a buddy who lives/works in the Rock Hill/Charlotte area and see where he gets color done.

I just dropped off a roll with Southeastern Camera here in Raleigh. They have a new machine or 2 so I wanted to see how it goes. I do not process color, but will probably end up doing my BW...just because I am use to the instant gratification of WetPlate Collodion...waiting for film is killing me!!

Chris

05-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use Southeastern (the Carrboro branch) for all my C-41 processing. Quick and reliable. For E-6 as far as I know there's no longer a lab anywhere in the state. Southeastern does take E-6; they wait until they have some number of rolls and then they ship them off to Dwayne's.
05-04-2018, 04:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I use Southeastern (the Carrboro branch) for all my C-41 processing. Quick and reliable. For E-6 as far as I know there's no longer a lab anywhere in the state. Southeastern does take E-6; they wait until they have some number of rolls and then they ship them off to Dwayne's.
Good to know they are getting reliable results. I frequent Southeastern in Raleigh for most of my local gear needs but hadn't used them to for film before. I know Tony makes daily runs between the two shops for film runs. I dropped my roll off yesterday and should have it back Monday.
05-05-2018, 01:46 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, please remember to scan and post some images from your new 645.
05-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome, please remember to scan and post some images from your new 645.

Oh, I plan to..don't worry. Probably nothing worth really looking at as I went through and checked minimum focus distance, infinity focus, aperture priority, shutter priority, and both lenses.

05-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #9
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia Chris, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you aboard.
05-07-2018, 01:57 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome Chris. Bruce at ASAP is a medium and possibly a large format user. I just traded a old MF Mamiya 90mm last week for a Super Program. Biggs frequently has 645 and 67 pieces and lenses. Casanova Foto in Barcelona has the largest display of 645 equipment I’ve ever seen (two weeks ago) but pricing is higher than in the states. Holler if you’re ever near Alleghany County or the Blue Ridge Parkway.
05-07-2018, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Received the test roll back from the lab. Below are straight scans from the lab. No tweaking. I am pretty satisfied with the camera and it's ability to meter effectively. Even when a couple shots look a little hot, there is still a bit of detail.

I tested the camera's ability to get decent exposures in Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and manual in matrix and center weighted. I also used AF and manual focus.

**I think I am going to bring the exposure compensation down a bit and shoot another test roll.

Think I will keep this one and shoot it a while. In fact, I ordered a 80-160mm to play with...

Last edited by wetplates; 05-08-2018 at 08:29 AM.