Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2018, 01:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just Joined from Virginia

Hello, I am an amateur photographer with many years of experience with film cameras, including darkroom experience with black and white & infrared. I never got into color work in the darkroom, but I shot a lot of color film. I've had some experience with multiple formats up to 4 x 5 but mostly 35mm using Pentax SLRs. My photography hobby was interrupted by a 26 year career in the U.S. Navy as a steam propulsion plant engineer at both the enlisted and commissioned officer levels. I am now retired. For a long while I was limited to point and shoot digital, my most recent point and shoot was a Fuji HS-10. I just recently got back into using a Pentax K-x DSLR. I am considering a Pentax K-P or K-3 II (I've heard some bad comments about the K-P's grip not being very good.)

It is good to be here. I have a lot to learn - these digital cameras with their multiple menus, uber fast shutter speeds, huge ISO settings and other things are much more complex than the film SLRs I was used to,

I've rambled on enough - it is way late and way past my bed time.

My best regards to everyone in this forum!

Later,

Mike

05-05-2018, 01:09 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia Mike, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you as a member.
05-05-2018, 01:47 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, enjoy all that you find here.
05-05-2018, 02:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum and feel free to ask questions. Generally we are pretty amiable sorts unless you want to know about the future of mirrorless cameras...

05-05-2018, 04:18 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome

Lots of friendly and knowledgeable members eager to offer advice especially on how to spend your money on photography gear
05-05-2018, 09:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from the UK!
05-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax forums. I would recommend the K-3 II. I have one and it is an excellent camera. If you can wait, I would also recommend the successor to the K-3 II, but I do not know when it may be introduced to the market.

05-05-2018, 04:17 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!

You can get a used K-3 series camera here on the forum marketplace and be confident it is in good condition, I rarely buy gear without checking what other Pentaxians are offering for sale here first.

I assume you retired in the Norfolk area. I live in the Shenadoah valley. Now that spring is in full swing, there is no end of great photo opportunities.

Considering checking out some of the groups in my signature.
05-05-2018, 06:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you want compact that you can handle like an older Pentax film camera, get a KP and leave the small grip on it. It isn't light like a point and shoot due to the fact that the body is SOLID< but since I often use heavy and long lenses, I added the battery grip and put the large grip on the body. If you are going to be doing lower light photography, you should lean towards the KP for better noise reduction at higher ISOs.
Welcome!
05-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums sir.
The KP is really good when fitted with the external battery grip.