Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hary J Adiwinata Quote
hello i just joined here.
first of all i like photography as a hobby only, was looking for camera, before i did not have dslr camera or mirroless but i had used it from rent and borrow my friend.
now i'm looking for my first camera and I liked the pentax but from the results of my survey on the internet and information about pentax where I live is very little and rarely. but it makes me more curious and more like, but with the lack of availability of the lens is very difficult and make me think once again, why i should buy pentax. and i want to ask for help on senior pentax maybe can help me, why pentax? ....

Best regards.
When I first got into photography I literally knew nothing. Over time I saved my money and read a ton of books (about photography). When I had enough to actually buy a camera and some lenses I started shopping around.

At the time I compared all the brands I could find, even the big names. After a comparison I found Pentax almost by accident. My intention was to find a 'starter camera' and then just work up into something 'better' (or so I thought). After comparing everything I learned that Pentax offered WAY more features and the cost was substantially less, so I bought a K-5 having never seen one in real life.

Now I am on my 3rd camera body.

As for nuts and bolts... I knew before I ever started that I wasn't interested in making videos. Again, that was something down the road (maybe) for me. I was much more interested in fine art photography. Comparing apples to apples at the time my whole kit that I bought was about 60% of the cost of a similar kit from Canon. To me it was a no brainer.

As for what Pentax does good... they have in body stabilization. They have backwards compatibility with all K mount lenses ever made. The image quality is at least as good or better than many other cameras. They have weather sealing that is awesome, which I would venture to say better than all others. The actual functions and menus and stuff to work the camera are 10x easier to use on Pentax. Also FA Limited 3 Amigos glass is at least on par with Canon L Series (I actually compared).

What Pentax does not so good...Video is supposedly lacking. I don't know because I never tried to make a video yet. If video is your prime objective (remember mine was to take stills) then other options are better. Others have a much wider array of modern lens selection. Pentax lens selection is growing but its slow.

At the end of the day it's not really about 'why Pentax' though. Why I have stuck with Pentax is because so far nothing has made me leave, and the controls and functionality of things is far superior in my opinion.

At the end of the day what it is really about is what your goals are. If you are learning to paint somebody could sell you on using camel hair paint brushes, or horse hair, or whatever, but none of that will make YOU better at painting. Hemmingway could write with a cheap typewriter, a pencil, and ink pen or whatever.

If you want to spend serious Nikon money to get new gear then that's cool. Go for it. It's all your budget. But what brand of camera you use won't make you one bit better at seeing light and capturing scenery that you like.

05-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
welcome

one of the best things about Pentax, IMHO , is the ability to use " experienced " lenses and excellent camera bodies, even if they are not the " latest and brightest " which may save you money

it might be worth your time to look at these charts:

" Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart

Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.
Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."
Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering. "

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

" Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article "

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

and you can look under " Cameras " and " Lenses " above to find link to great reviews
Hi! thanks for your guiding here ...i'll take a look.
05-09-2018, 07:08 PM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
. . . Also FA Limited 3 Amigos glass is at least on par with Canon L Series (I actually compared). . . . .
speaking of the " FA Limited 3 Amigos " you should not overlook the other " Limiteds " nor the " star " lenses produced by Pentax as well

here are a couple of threads discussing them:

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 10 - PentaxForums.com

Pentax * lenses do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com
05-09-2018, 07:09 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For someone just starting out, Pentax brings two big advantages: first and foremost, in-camera shake reduction. This means you get stabilization no matter what lens you put on the camera, which ultimately converts into better pictures, especially when it's dark.

Second, even the lowest model (i.e. the K-70) has almost all of the features found in the flagship line, making it a great value. The image quality is also class-leading.

Third, all current DSLRs are weather-sealed, so shooting in light rain should be worry-free when you pair your camera with a weather-sealed lens and exercise due diligence. The cameras themselves have good ergonomics, large grips, and a friendly and highly customizable user interfaces.

Next, Pentax offers a lot of compact lens options if you want to travel light. This includes current as well as legacy lenses, both of which can be a great value.

Pentax is a company that focuses heavily on still image quality. You'll find features not available on any other camera, such as the AA filter simulator or astrotracer.

By this token, video quality is comparatively poor. Autofocus is good enough for most situations, but far from cutting-edge. Finally, support (outside of the forum of course ) is more limited than other brands, as is local availability and service options.
yeah i was thinking about the local availability and service options.it's really rare in my country, but as long the camera in good condition i think it will be ok for me.
Fortunately, i shoot still image than using video.

05-10-2018, 06:21 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
When I first got into photography I literally knew nothing. Over time I saved my money and read a ton of books (about photography). When I had enough to actually buy a camera and some lenses I started shopping around.

At the time I compared all the brands I could find, even the big names. After a comparison I found Pentax almost by accident. My intention was to find a 'starter camera' and then just work up into something 'better' (or so I thought). After comparing everything I learned that Pentax offered WAY more features and the cost was substantially less, so I bought a K-5 having never seen one in real life.

Now I am on my 3rd camera body.

As for nuts and bolts... I knew before I ever started that I wasn't interested in making videos. Again, that was something down the road (maybe) for me. I was much more interested in fine art photography. Comparing apples to apples at the time my whole kit that I bought was about 60% of the cost of a similar kit from Canon. To me it was a no brainer.

As for what Pentax does good... they have in body stabilization. They have backwards compatibility with all K mount lenses ever made. The image quality is at least as good or better than many other cameras. They have weather sealing that is awesome, which I would venture to say better than all others. The actual functions and menus and stuff to work the camera are 10x easier to use on Pentax. Also FA Limited 3 Amigos glass is at least on par with Canon L Series (I actually compared).

What Pentax does not so good...Video is supposedly lacking. I don't know because I never tried to make a video yet. If video is your prime objective (remember mine was to take stills) then other options are better. Others have a much wider array of modern lens selection. Pentax lens selection is growing but its slow.

At the end of the day it's not really about 'why Pentax' though. Why I have stuck with Pentax is because so far nothing has made me leave, and the controls and functionality of things is far superior in my opinion.

At the end of the day what it is really about is what your goals are. If you are learning to paint somebody could sell you on using camel hair paint brushes, or horse hair, or whatever, but none of that will make YOU better at painting. Hemmingway could write with a cheap typewriter, a pencil, and ink pen or whatever.

If you want to spend serious Nikon money to get new gear then that's cool. Go for it. It's all your budget. But what brand of camera you use won't make you one bit better at seeing light and capturing scenery that you like.
thanks for sharing and good suggestions! I really appreciate it.
now for me to decide it according to my budget ...
05-10-2018, 07:20 AM   #21
Pentaxian

For me, Pentax cameras give me the ability reproduce images comparable or better than it's competitors for a fraction the price. It may require a little more skill in getting those images and you may not get as many, if the subject is moving, but for landscape ad most stills, they are unequalled at their price.

Last edited by normhead; 05-11-2018 at 05:40 AM.
05-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I liked the pentax but from the results of my survey on the internet and information about pentax where I live is very little and rarely. but it makes me more curious and more like, but with the lack of availability of the lens is very difficult and make me think once again, why i should buy pentax.
Best regards.
It is good that you are looking at the whole ecosystem, including what is sold at the place where you live. When I got in to photography I was not mature enough to do such an analysis at all. I started with Pentax because I had heard about K1000. Factors like 3rd party support were unknown to me. As of now Pentax seems to address my hobby needs.

With current knowledge I will give highest preference to locally available brand, because that helps in sustainability. Compare the local price against B&H prices, and go with the brand who's price difference is least.

05-10-2018, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #23

As a relatively recent Pentax convert, I can give you my reasons (and why ultimately they were the best option for me, after comparing many possible systems). In no particular order:

1) Pixel-shift. I suspect this is a more 'neat' than truly useful feature for many people, but I wanted to upgrade my film scanner which would have cost me a pretty penny (around the cost of a K1, and it still wouldn't be the model I wanted) - and I've found that the results from pixel-shift can help mitigate the issues with other DSLR scanning set-ups (while producing rather massive files, but no bigger than the full size TIFFs I was dealing with from my flatbed). I also a lot of non-moving product and still life content; I've generally sound single exposure to be more than adequate, but it's nice to have pixel-shift available should the subject demand it.

2) High compatibility between film and digital cameras. I shoot a lot of film and the ability to have full compatibility between a DSLR and SLR system was appealing to me. Similar compatibility can exist in Nikon models, and I had previously strongly considering going that route digitally. I haven't yet invested in a Pentax 35mm set-up, but have an MZ-S and an LX on my shortlist for the future. I travel a lot, and the ability to pack a digital and film body along with a single set of fully compatible lenses is important to me, although again I recognize that this is a feature most users probably don't have need for.

3) In-body SR. If you shoot with a lot of old manual lenses, this is a big boost across the board and shouldn't be underestimated. While there are mirrorless competitors that offer a similar feature, CaNikon does not offer it in any of their DSLRs. Which leads me to:

4) A high quality OVF. I shot for years with my only digital camera as a mirrorless... and I look at computer screens all day when I work... and I am sick of looking at electronic screens. I find it much more pleasant to use a traditional optical viewfinder, and it makes me want to get out and shoot more. I am shocked to see how many people are ready and excited to throw away the OVF for an EVF - while the latter certainly has advantages, pleasure of use is not one of them in my opinion.

5) Availability of the Pentax Limited lenses, which I was very curious to use. I have all three FA lenses now and really enjoy them - they aren't the build quality or manual focus quality of Takumars or Hasselblad Zeiss, but they've fulfilled the need for small, high quality optics than are comfortable to use for both autofocus and manual focus. I find most modern autofocus lenses quite miserable to manually focus, especially the vile focus-by-wire systems that dominate the mirrorless world.

Honestly, there are plenty of disadvantages to the platform as well. There is a much lower user base and a much smaller catalog of lenses - second hand prices can be higher than equivalent CaNikon gear in many instances. Stability of the company is always in question, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax manages to outlast Nikon. Video is subpar to say the least. Autofocus, especially tracking autofocus, is much better in competitors systems. But the system has many unique strengths. I would urge you to think about your longterm needs when selecting a system, and if possible find a way to get your hands on a few different models to play around with to see what feels right.
05-10-2018, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Since my last few lenses have for the most part been bought from and sold to forum members, I'm really not affected that much by local availability. Two of my last three lenses were bought from forum members almost new, but at reduced prices. People buy lenses try them out then decide "it's just not for me."

For those of us who live over 100 Km from any camera store, "local availability" is something that makes us snort and grimace. If I was dependant on local availability and services I wouldn't own any camera gear.

I probably am most drawn to Pentax because it allows me to transfer skill learned shooting film to get top quality images in digital, where I actually save money for knowing good technique. In essence, I get paid for not needing the fastest AF, tracking AF, or video. Those things which other systems are so entangled with that I don't even want, and I certainly don't care to pay the big bucks for them.

Most of the time, I get just as good or better images as "those other guys" for fraction the cost.

Last edited by normhead; 05-11-2018 at 05:41 AM.
05-10-2018, 11:23 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Dan
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For someone just starting out, Pentax brings two big advantages: first and foremost, in-camera shake reduction. This means you get stabilization no matter what lens you put on the camera, which ultimately converts into better pictures, especially when it's dark.

Second, even the lowest model (i.e. the K-70) has almost all of the features found in the flagship line, making it a great value. The image quality is also class-leading.

Third, all current DSLRs are weather-sealed, so shooting in light rain should be worry-free when you pair your camera with a weather-sealed lens and exercise due diligence. The cameras themselves have good ergonomics, large grips, and a friendly and highly customizable user interfaces.

Next, Pentax offers a lot of compact lens options if you want to travel light. This includes current as well as legacy lenses, both of which can be a great value.

Pentax is a company that focuses heavily on still image quality. You'll find features not available on any other camera, such as the AA filter simulator or astrotracer.

By this token, video quality is comparatively poor. Autofocus is good enough for most situations, but far from cutting-edge. Finally, support (outside of the forum of course ) is more limited than other brands, as is local availability and service options.
That's an outstanding summary. You have stated succinctly the many benefits of the Pentax system. You have also noted fairly the drawbacks with regard to video, autofocus, and service. For me, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages, but it really depends on the user's priorities. Your summary should help the OP make an informed decision.

Dan
05-11-2018, 06:05 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hello i just joined here.
first of all i like photography as a hobby only, was looking for camera, before i did not have dslr camera or mirroless but i had used it from rent and borrow my friend.
now i'm looking for my first camera and I liked the pentax but from the results of my survey on the internet and information about pentax where I live is very little and rarely. but it makes me more curious and more like, but with the lack of availability of the lens is very difficult and make me think once again, why i should buy pentax. and i want to ask for help on senior pentax maybe can help me, why pentax? ....

Best regards.
There are a few threads about why we chose our system.

Weatherproofing is a key for me, and I value durability. Systems like Sony do a great job but are notorious for fragile cameras. I go to parks in the winter with the dogs, wade through the prairies in summer, and generally put my gear in somewhat hazardous situations, so weather sealing is a plus. Build quality is a must.

I learned on an all-manual Minolta, and know how to balance the camera parameters. I like having all those controls at my fingertips.

Pentax doesn't have as extensive a lens lineup if you consider third-party options. What it has is good, and with a few exceptions will cover any requirements you'll have.

As mentioned above, when considering value there's little comparison. The other major manufacturers have more models, but most of these are essentially outdated and feature-stripped. That doesn't make me confident. It doesn't make sense for Pentax to do that - though occasionally they do produce an "entry-level" unit. They seem to have abandoned that approach over the past 5 years.
05-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #27

pentax live support is difficult to come by

I too am a hobby photographer who shoots for fun without really knowing much about technical aspects of photography. I've had a few Nikon camera's before my last one needed replacement and decided to go with the with Pentax (the K-70). I couldn't find the camera in any store in my home state of Massachusetts, or surrounding New England states. Nevertheless, I still went ahead with the purchase due to reviews describing more bang for the buck and because I wanted the weather resistance. Since my purchase I've had numerous questions that I wish my local photo stores could answer. Unfortunately, they all say that due to poor Ricoh distribution, they don't carry the line and therefore can't give much advice due to lack of familiarity with the camera. Also, due to fewer Pentax users (generally speaking), this has meant that for hobby photographers like myself, there aren't any video tutorials on the web like there are for say Canon or Nikon. So, I'm still learning the camera, but my takeaway message is that I probably should have stuck with Nikon which would have been simpler all around. This is just food for thought. I hope it's helpful.
05-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bloomie Quote
I too am a hobby photographer who shoots for fun without really knowing much about technical aspects of photography. I've had a few Nikon camera's before my last one needed replacement and decided to go with the with Pentax (the K-70). I couldn't find the camera in any store in my home state of Massachusetts, or surrounding New England states. Nevertheless, I still went ahead with the purchase due to reviews describing more bang for the buck and because I wanted the weather resistance. Since my purchase I've had numerous questions that I wish my local photo stores could answer. Unfortunately, they all say that due to poor Ricoh distribution, they don't carry the line and therefore can't give much advice due to lack of familiarity with the camera. Also, due to fewer Pentax users (generally speaking), this has meant that for hobby photographers like myself, there aren't any video tutorials on the web like there are for say Canon or Nikon. So, I'm still learning the camera, but my takeaway message is that I probably should have stuck with Nikon which would have been simpler all around. This is just food for thought. I hope it's helpful.
Hunt's carries the K-1 and other Pentax gear although most is special order these days. This is important only if you must have new lenses or bodies.

Most of my gear I have bought online without touching it, and Pentax Forums has given me the information needed to make an informed choice. It also made it easy to get some amazing glass cheaper through the forums.
BTW if you had stuck with Nikon you would have to spend a lot more money for similar quality glass and images.
Spend some time here and try out new things and you will find lots of very smart folks who know how to get results from their Pentax and are willing to share that information freely. Video tutorials are really brand agnostic since once you learn all the cool things your K-70 can do like Tav mode you can do anything (and often more!!!!) than a Canon or Nikon youtube shooter can do.
05-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #29
mee
Veteran Member

If you're looking to start with an APS-C camera, and shoot mostly landscape and street then Pentax could be a strong fit.

If you're looking to start with a Full Frame camera, and don't mind the small number of Full Frame K mount lenses in stores, then Pentax could be a strong fit.

If you are outside of these scenarios, I'd probably look elsewhere.

Also keep in mind 3rd party solutions for K mount (Pentax) are smaller than for other brands too. So the used lens market isn't as large here than for other brands and you'll likely find less camera flashes and other 3rd party products than say for Nikon or Canon.

The advantages of an APS-C entry level DSLR from Pentax over competitors is the In-Body Image-Stabilization (IBIS) which means all lenses are stabilized (anti-shake/vibration). In Canon or Nikon you have to ensure the lens comes with stabilization built into it. A lot of the prime (single/fixed focal length) lenses in these brands are not stabilized. If you photograph with zoom lenses it isn't a big deal though as most of those are stabilized.

And Pentax cameras come with large Pentaprism viewfinders. Competitors in their lower to mid tier products offer only Pentamirror viewfinders. Pentaprism results in a brighter view through the viewfinder but are usually heavier than their Pentamirror counterparts. I personally prefer a pentaprism viewfinder and all Pentax cameras on the market come with one.

Canon and Nikon entry level bodies can feel very plasticky. I've handled a number of them. Yet if you spend more money, you generally get a superior product. But it all comes down to how much you want to spend and what are your desires in photography.
05-11-2018, 09:14 PM   #30

Like others have said, Pentax offers excellent quality for very good prices. I purchased three Pentax zooms (two are in the $2,000 dollar range, but they are excellent and would cost much more if they were Canon or Nikon. Pentax cameras are probably the most weather resistant camera out there and the same can be said for their more expensive lenses. If you decide to go for the K-1 it is the most customizable camera that is available, and the control dials allow you to turn on or off various features without having to scroll through a menu. I have not seen such ease of operation with cameras from manufacturers.