Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2018, 06:19 AM   #1

why shoot with Pentax?

hello i just joined here.
first of all i like photography as a hobby only, was looking for camera, before i did not have dslr camera or mirroless but i had used it from rent and borrow my friend.
now i'm looking for my first camera and I liked the pentax but from the results of my survey on the internet and information about pentax where I live is very little and rarely. but it makes me more curious and more like, but with the lack of availability of the lens is very difficult and make me think once again, why i should buy pentax. and i want to ask for help on senior pentax maybe can help me, why pentax? ....

Best regards.

05-09-2018, 07:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

Pentax gives a lot of bang for the buck if photography is what you like and video isn't a priority. It has good lenses (IMHO), weather resistant bodies are very affordable and the image quality is very good. It's a very good option for hobbyists. For professionals, it will depend on the specialty of the photographer, for portraits and landscapes Pentax is a very good option. For action and sports, probably not so much. It is a brand that I do not hesitate to buy online without handling first, but if you need to handle something before you buy it, you should probably buy from a brand that is available in your area.
05-09-2018, 07:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For me, good value in terms of price vs features...quirkiness...supporting the underdog...

If you're already thinking Pentax is for you, then you already know why.
05-09-2018, 07:19 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Welcome!

Pentax gives a lot of bang for the buck if photography is what you like and video isn't a priority. It has good lenses (IMHO), weather resistant bodies are very affordable and the image quality is very good. It's a very good option for hobbyists. For professionals, it will depend on the specialty of the photographer, for portraits and landscapes Pentax is a very good option. For action and sports, probably not so much. It is a brand that I do not hesitate to buy online without handling first, but if you need to handle something before you buy it, you should probably buy from a brand that is available in your area.
wow, thanks for your quick respon!
yes, i shoot more landscape and street. that's good reason for me now ...
thanks Chris!

05-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
For me, good value in terms of price vs features...quirkiness...supporting the underdog...

If you're already thinking Pentax is for you, then you already know why.
yes!! pentax always through on my mind, even i always thinking to buy another brands..but pentax always came up, even i still confused to buy my first lens if i buy pentax
05-09-2018, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Unregistered User

In body image stabilization, uniform menu between models (including 645, 01 and Q) Full sized Pentaprisms instead of a pentamirror, they can use any K mount lens since 1975 directly and any other Pentax lens with an adapter. There is a good supply of Pentax products, both new and vintage, from Japanese vendors who are for the most part very reliable. The bodies and older lenses tend to be very durable.

And, of course, The Pentax Forums—probably the best independent forum and database of any photographic manufacturer. You will see all points of view here without an abundance of hype.
05-09-2018, 07:48 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
In body image stabilization, uniform menu between models (including 645, 01 and Q) Full sized Pentaprisms instead of a pentamirror, they can use any K mount lens since 1975 directly and any other Pentax lens with an adapter. There is a good supply of Pentax products, both new and vintage, from Japanese vendors who are for the most part very reliable. The bodies and older lenses tend to be very durable.

And, of course, The Pentax Forums—probably the best independent forum and database of any photographic manufacturer. You will see all points of view here without an abundance of hype.
yes, i think i like this forum. it's like big family in a small house ...and it could be more intimate and fun!

hmmm...does shutterblock always be complaint on pentax ? except k3, k3 ii and k1 ?

05-09-2018, 07:58 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax forums.
05-09-2018, 08:37 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Welcome to Pentax forums.
Thanks!
05-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome

one of the best things about Pentax, IMHO , is the ability to use " experienced " lenses and excellent camera bodies, even if they are not the " latest and brightest " which may save you money

it might be worth your time to look at these charts:

" Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart

Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.
Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."
Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering. "

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

" Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article "

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

and you can look under " Cameras " and " Lenses " above to find link to great reviews
05-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've used the Pentax brand over the years and like others has expressed, their products give many wanted features at lower cost than the competitors. Despite Pentax not being a prolific lens maker, I've never felt "lens-limited" and have most always found a lens I needed or was looking for and some few other makers offered (the 28-200mm for example which isn't the best but is one of the most versatile). Just a few reasons for me.
05-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

For someone just starting out, Pentax brings two big advantages: first and foremost, in-camera shake reduction. This means you get stabilization no matter what lens you put on the camera, which ultimately converts into better pictures, especially when it's dark.

Second, even the lowest model (i.e. the K-70) has almost all of the features found in the flagship line, making it a great value. The image quality is also class-leading.

Third, all current DSLRs are weather-sealed, so shooting in light rain should be worry-free when you pair your camera with a weather-sealed lens and exercise due diligence. The cameras themselves have good ergonomics, large grips, and a friendly and highly customizable user interfaces.

Next, Pentax offers a lot of compact lens options if you want to travel light. This includes current as well as legacy lenses, both of which can be a great value.

Pentax is a company that focuses heavily on still image quality. You'll find features not available on any other camera, such as the AA filter simulator or astrotracer.

By this token, video quality is comparatively poor. Autofocus is good enough for most situations, but far from cutting-edge. Finally, support (outside of the forum of course ) is more limited than other brands, as is local availability and service options.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hary J Adiwinata Quote
why i should buy pentax
Simple put... good glass.

Welcome to the forum.
05-09-2018, 01:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

hmmm...does shutterblock always be complaint on pentax ? except k3, k3 ii and k1 ?
If I'm remembering correctly, that was only a problem on the K-30, K-50, K-500, K-S1, and K-S2. Top models were never affected, and I'm pretty sure older models were not either.
05-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yes, i think i like this forum. it's like big family in a small house ...and it could be more intimate and fun!

The K-30 and K-50 and so forth have had an issue that is unclear how common it is that affects the aperture and sometimes the shutter but more often the aperture. There are several workarounds and surveys indicated that at least with respect to members here the numbers were small. However it is an annoying feature to linger over multiple bodies. I don't recall ever hearing about it on the K-5/K-5ii/K3/K-3ii/K-1 etc. It also seems to have been a non-issue with cameras older than the K-30.