Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #31

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bloomie Quote
I too am a hobby photographer who shoots for fun without really knowing much about technical aspects of photography. I've had a few Nikon camera's before my last one needed replacement and decided to go with the with Pentax (the K-70). I couldn't find the camera in any store in my home state of Massachusetts, or surrounding New England states. Nevertheless, I still went ahead with the purchase due to reviews describing more bang for the buck and because I wanted the weather resistance. Since my purchase I've had numerous questions that I wish my local photo stores could answer. Unfortunately, they all say that due to poor Ricoh distribution, they don't carry the line and therefore can't give much advice due to lack of familiarity with the camera. Also, due to fewer Pentax users (generally speaking), this has meant that for hobby photographers like myself, there aren't any video tutorials on the web like there are for say Canon or Nikon. So, I'm still learning the camera, but my takeaway message is that I probably should have stuck with Nikon which would have been simpler all around. This is just food for thought. I hope it's helpful.
Thanks for sharing your story, at first I started to choose mirrorless, and then after I did my research I read about pentax more (used to always skip pentax articles ) and then I like the specs, looks good and compact for the type of DSLR. but, once again it's about service centre and supporting product that's very rare on my country.

05-12-2018, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hary J Adiwinata Quote
Thanks for sharing your story, at first I started to choose mirrorless, and then after I did my research I read about pentax more (used to always skip pentax articles ) and then I like the specs, looks good and compact for the type of DSLR. but, once again it's about service centre and supporting product that's very rare on my country.
Pentax is a great value because they are the way they are. If you don't like the way they are, don't buy Pentax. The things you don't like aren't going to change. The last thing we need is more complainers on the forum. The forum is a better resource than you'll find on the web in videos. And I mail my gear in for service, there's only one service centre in my country, but that's all I need. I'd be mailing no matter which camera I bought.

But if this is really a concern for you, even though I've listed the reasons why it shouldn't be) don't buy Pentax. It's an issue for you. IMHO it shouldn't have to be but, it's not up to me is it? It's what makes you happy. If you really think you need a dealer or service centre nearby, nothing anyone here says is going to miracoulsy change that, even for most of us here, it's not an issue. It's more like an excuse people have for choosing other brands. Relevant or not.

But those who spend too much time looking over the fence at what other brands have, are usually not happy Pentax shooters. It's not about the camera specs. it's about whether or not you feel comfortable with the camera. "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence." and all that.

Those of us who just go out and shoot as often as possible, take the time to learn our cameras and just go shoot, the issue you're raising is pretty much irrelevant. We've had 2 camera bodies and 3 lenses repaired, one twice, the mean repair time is about 2 weeks, one was as long as 6 months waiting for parts from Japan. We've had 7 camera bodies during that time and 23 lenses. All service centre visits were caused by dropped equipment. Pentax equipment is quite rugged. So really, having retail support int these days of internet shopping is vastly over-rated. It's all about your own comfort level. If it's worth paying an extra $1000 or whatever to get what you perceive to be more support, then go for it. Myself, I want the most value for my money I can get. I've been shooting digital for over 10 years now and needed service 5 times, or once every 2 years on average. I'm not paying thousands of extra dollars for that.

You are going to pay thousands more for features that you rarely use, and your're going to do without all the features Pentax puts in even it's lower end models that most companies leave out of their entry level models. All you need to do here is admit you want the security blanket of better service (even though the guy who services my camera also is a service agent for Canon and Nikon, so exactly the same service I'd get with those two brands) and move on. If that's enough to get Pentax crossed off your list, it really doesn't affect anyone but you.

Last edited by normhead; 05-12-2018 at 08:39 AM.
05-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GMounk Quote
Like others have said, Pentax offers excellent quality for very good prices. I purchased three Pentax zooms (two are in the $2,000 dollar range, but they are excellent and would cost much more if they were Canon or Nikon. Pentax cameras are probably the most weather resistant camera out there and the same can be said for their more expensive lenses. If you decide to go for the K-1 it is the most customizable camera that is available, and the control dials allow you to turn on or off various features without having to scroll through a menu. I have not seen such ease of operation with cameras from manufacturers.
yes, i read about K-1 it's great full frame pentax camera. unfortunately i just can decide between k3 or k3ii ...

---------- Post added 05-12-18 at 08:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Pentax is a great value because they are the way they are. If you don't like the way they are, don't buy Pentax. The things you don't like aren't going to change. The last thing we need is more complainers on the forum. The forum is a better resource than you'll find on the web in videos. And I mail my gear in for service, there's only one service centre in my country, but that's all I need. I'd be mailing no matter which camera I bought.

But if this is really a concern for you, even though I've listed the reasons why it shouldn't be) don't buy Pentax. It's an issue for you. IMHO it shouldn't have to be but, it's not up to me is it? It's what makes you happy. If you really think you need a dealer or service centre nearby, nothing anyone here says is going to miracoulsy change that, even for most of us here, it's not an issue. It's more like an excuse people have for choosing other brands. Relevant or not.

But those who spend too much time looking over the fence at what other brands have, are usually not happy Pentax shooters. It's not about the camera specs. it's about whether or not you feel comfortable with the camera. "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence." and all that.

Those of us who just go out and shoot as often as possible, take the time to learn our cameras and just go shoot, the issue you're raising is pretty much irrelevant. We've had 2 camera bodies and 3 lenses repaired, one twice, the mean repair time is about 2 weeks, one was as long as 6 months waiting for parts from Japan. We've had 7 camera bodies during that time and 23 lenses. All service centre visits were caused by dropped equipment. Pentax equipment is quite rugged. So really, having retail support int these days of internet shopping is vastly over-rated. It's all about your own comfort level. If it's worth paying an extra $1000 or whatever to get what you perceive to be more support, then go for it. Myself, I want the most value for my money I can get. I've been shooting digital for over 10 years now and needed service 5 times, or once every 2 years on average. I'm not paying thousands of extra dollars for that.

You are going to pay thousands more for features that you rarely use, and your're going to do without all the features Pentax puts in even it's lower end models that most companies leave out of their entry level models. All you need to do here is admit you want the security blanket of better service (even though the guy who services my camera also is a service agent for Canon and Nikon, so exactly the same service I'd get with those two brands) and move on. If that's enough to get Pentax crossed off your list, it really doesn't affect anyone but you.
You are right about that, and that's why I decided to join this forum to know more about pentax. and I am really surprised that this forum always provides updates and is helpful in sharing articles from members, even though pentax is slow in development
i am looking for information about ricoh company, what they will bring in the future and i got little information. but this website give complete information about pentax article while i googling ...
05-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
both the K 3 and K 3 II are excellent camera bodies with very little difference

check the in depth reviews of each and use the comparison tool

I have both ( I upgraded from a K 5 II because B H was selling the K 3 II and the battery grip for $7 dollars over the cost of a K 3 II alone )

they are still offering the deal

Pentax K-3 II DSLR Camera with Battery Grip Kit B&H Photo Video

how much shipping would be involved in buying from them I have no idea

I have found that they are very good at advising you if you contact them in person or by email

remember the deal offered by the forum if you order through here to buy from them

FREE Marketplace Access if you shop at B&H, Adorama, or Topaz Labs - PentaxForums.com