Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2018, 06:41 AM   #1

Hello new friends

Hi guys,

I am a professional portrait/wedding photographer. I currently have an Olympus E3 and E5. The E3 is a fabulous camera and I use it almost daily. However, my passion lies in long exposure photography. Not star trails or anything, just landscape-ish kind of stuff. I am looking into getting a Pentax to replace the E5. The E3 will stay with me because it is a wonderful camera to use and the pictures, for portraiture, are hard to beat.

I have quite a few M42 Takumar lenses that I treasure. Some of the best legacy glass ever made as far as I'm concerned and would use those in conjunction with a Pentax body with the aid of an adapter of course. I do most of my work with manual focus lenses. I guess I'm just old school like that.I do have a couple digital lenses that I use with the E3 when I shoot some weddings.

I guess my question is, what Pentax would be the best for me. I don't want to go Nikon or Canon. Pentax has been in my sights now for a while, so i hope for some help from actual users of the camera.

Thank you in advance!

05-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattyb Quote
Hi guys,

I am a professional portrait/wedding photographer. I currently have an Olympus E3 and E5. The E3 is a fabulous camera and I use it almost daily. However, my passion lies in long exposure photography. Not star trails or anything, just landscape-ish kind of stuff. I am looking into getting a Pentax to replace the E5. The E3 will stay with me because it is a wonderful camera to use and the pictures, for portraiture, are hard to beat.

I have quite a few M42 Takumar lenses that I treasure. Some of the best legacy glass ever made as far as I'm concerned and would use those in conjunction with a Pentax body with the aid of an adapter of course. I do most of my work with manual focus lenses. I guess I'm just old school like that.I do have a couple digital lenses that I use with the E3 when I shoot some weddings.

I guess my question is, what Pentax would be the best for me. I don't want to go Nikon or Canon. Pentax has been in my sights now for a while, so i hope for some help from actual users of the camera.

Thank you in advance!
Welcome to Pentax forums.

I have used my Pentax K-3II (24 mp) very successfully for long exposure landscape (on tripod). I also used my Pentax K-5IIS (16 mp) before I got my K-3II, which performed very well also. I would recommend the K-3II or the next Pentax flagship aps-c model to become available (newer model). If you are planning on full frame shooting, I would recommend either the Pentax K-1 (36 mp) or the Pentax K-1 II (36 mp), the K-1 II being the more advanced model.
05-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi, welcome
What is your budget? Are you buying new or used? Do you want full frame or are you happy with apsc? The K1 ii is your full frame, pro model and there are used versions of this and its fore runner the K1. I use a K3 which I got hardly used for 275. That is a serious, metal bodied aps-c with decent battery life, 24mp and it is fantastic. (I also use a K30 with my M42 lenses, but you don't want one of those, they are great but have an issue). If you are wanting a semi pro aps-c the current model which is quite compact and far better than the reviews would suggest, is the KP. The latest in the enthusiasts range (where my K30 sits) is the K70. This is a brilliant camera with a host of features you only normally find on more expensive kit. It also doesn't have the aforementioned issues that blighted the K30 & K50. Any of these will do a stellar job when shooting landscapes. They are also wonderful with manual M lenses and M42s. One thing I would suggest is getting the official magnified eyepiece. I have one on my K30 and it makes focusing that little bit easier.
05-16-2018, 10:02 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Welcome to Pentax forums.

I have used my Pentax K-3II (24 mp) very successfully for long exposure landscape (on tripod). I also used my Pentax K-5IIS (16 mp) before I got my K-3II, which performed very well also. I would recommend the K-3II or the next Pentax flagship aps-c model to become available (newer model). If you are planning on full frame shooting, I would recommend either the Pentax K-1 (36 mp) or the Pentax K-1 II (36 mp), the K-1 II being the more advanced model.
Thank you!

I think the K3 will be a good fit. I really love the Olympus' that I have and truth be told, have used that brand since I got into photography with the OM1. But, in my opinion, they really dropped the ball going to M4/3 instead of going to a FF or expanding on their 4/3 E series (single digit Es). The E3 is a fabulous camera and I hope the Pentax K3 will be just as good and elevate long exposures to a printable level. Do you find any difference in the K3 vs the K3ii? I really don't care about the GPS and fankly I never use a flash for anything. So I guess either would be alright.

Thank you again, your input is very much appreciated.

05-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Hi, welcome
What is your budget? Are you buying new or used? Do you want full frame or are you happy with apsc? The K1 ii is your full frame, pro model and there are used versions of this and its fore runner the K1. I use a K3 which I got hardly used for 275. That is a serious, metal bodied aps-c with decent battery life, 24mp and it is fantastic. (I also use a K30 with my M42 lenses, but you don't want one of those, they are great but have an issue). If you are wanting a semi pro aps-c the current model which is quite compact and far better than the reviews would suggest, is the KP. The latest in the enthusiasts range (where my K30 sits) is the K70. This is a brilliant camera with a host of features you only normally find on more expensive kit. It also doesn't have the aforementioned issues that blighted the K30 & K50. Any of these will do a stellar job when shooting landscapes. They are also wonderful with manual M lenses and M42s. One thing I would suggest is getting the official magnified eyepiece. I have one on my K30 and it makes focusing that little bit easier.
I really like the idea of the K3. As I mentioned in a previous reply, I really have no use for the GPS or flash. Sadly, I can't afford a K1. The only "full frame" camera I have had is the OM1(n) and other OM's but never digital. I think the APSC will be good and deliver printable long exposure images. If I could afford a K1 though, that would be my dream camera. However I have read that the K3 somehow does a better job at certain things. It wasn't on this board, so I don't know how trustworthy that statement is.
05-16-2018, 11:31 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi guys,

Thank you in advance!
Definitely the K-1 (or K-1 II). Those legacy lenses deserve the best IQ, and a also a full-frame sensor.

With its enhanced noise processing, the K-1 II might be the way to go in your case. Welcome aboard!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

landscape-ish kind of stuff
Welcome to the forum, I would certainly suggest maybe you have look at the either of the K1s.
05-16-2018, 12:00 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you for the welcome

Sadly, I can't afford a K1. Unless someone has one that is close to what you can get a K3ii for which isn't going to happen

05-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am assuming you have a fixed budget, if so you are in the right place. Takumars work beautifully on Pentax, as do 50 year old Carl Zeiss M42s, Helios 44s (fantastic colour rendition) etc. etc. I got a tremendous chinon 135mm f2.8 for 12. Pentax autofocus lenses are excellent quality and you get weather resistance out of the box (if you are using a wr lens). Pentax M manual lenses are 50% cheaper than their Nikon counterparts and the primes are decent. My most expensive lens is a 10-17mm fish eye which at 17mm is a nice wide angle with manageable aberrations which you can get for 250, the highly regarded 18-135mm and 55-300mm can both be acquired for less than 200 so it is possible to get good walk around glass for a decent price (these two are also wr). 50 & 35mm primes come in around 75 each. The K3 is a fantastic piece of kit and the range and variety of vintage glass means you never run out of things to try
05-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Thank you!

I think the K3 will be a good fit. I really love the Olympus' that I have and truth be told, have used that brand since I got into photography with the OM1. But, in my opinion, they really dropped the ball going to M4/3 instead of going to a FF or expanding on their 4/3 E series (single digit Es). The E3 is a fabulous camera and I hope the Pentax K3 will be just as good and elevate long exposures to a printable level. Do you find any difference in the K3 vs the K3ii? I really don't care about the GPS and fankly I never use a flash for anything. So I guess either would be alright.

Thank you again, your input is very much appreciated.
I have the K-3II and I like that it has its own GPS for use with the Astrotracer feature for astrophotography. That way I do not need the separately sold GPS unit that the K-3 requires to do astrophotography (Pentax unit O-GPS1). I also can do without a built in flash, which the K-3II does not have.

You mentioned that you are interested in landscape shooting. The K-3 and K-3II both have a 24 mp sensor, so they are alike in that way, but the K-3II has something called pixel shift resolution mode, which provides a higher resolution type image by combining several shots (4) into one. This is how it is defined: "Pentax K-3 II's Pixel Shift Resolution System captures four images with slightly different sensor positions, and combines them into a single shot with full color information at every pixel location." It is a feature that the K-3 does not have. It is only really effective for still subject types though, due to it not being able to handle movement very well.

The K-3 may handle what you need to do, but I would still recommend the K-3II if you would want the more advanced model. If you have time to wait, you may want to wait for the next aps-c model that will follow the K-3II in the future.

Not ever using the K-3 model, I really do not want to say how it actually performs, but if you do not get a K-3II, I may want to mention the Pentax KP, that is if you can get along without a top of body LCD screen that displays settings (ISO, aperture, shutter speed etc.) It does display that info on the rear LCD of the camera though, and that screen can be flipped out for viewing. Still, the K-3 I doubt would disappoint you for most landscape activities, and it does have a top LCD for reading settings conveniently.

I think that you are on the right track in considering the K-3 for your choice. In case you need more advancement I would recommend the K-3II. Printable images are easily produced by my K-3II, even in large sizes, and the K-3 uses the same size sensor, so you would not be left without that ability. The detail in my K-3 II images is excellent.

Last edited by C_Jones; 05-16-2018 at 05:07 PM.
05-18-2018, 01:57 AM   #11

Hi,
just wanted to say hi.
I had Minolta MD lenses but after buying Tak 50 1.4 (8el) I fell in love in the quality...