Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2018, 01:39 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But to make sense of those recommendations, you will first need to decide whether to shoot in RAW (either DNG or PEF format) or jpg.

Des,
You're so right about RAW. I'm still struggling with getting a program that can process RAW faster--but I've realized that I just MUST go that route. I just updated my computer massively and am still not happy with the way I have to handle RAW, especially with Win10--yuck! Speaking of steep learning curves...!

But Steve, Des is right about RAW and I need to stress that. All the really good photographers use RAW, for a reason.

05-23-2018, 02:31 AM   #17
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barefootdesigns Quote
I'm still struggling with getting a program that can process RAW faster--but I've realized that I just MUST go that route.
Which program are you using Carla? I'm using DxO Optics Pro 11 and PhotoLab and they are actually pretty quick with Windows 10, with a decent amount of processing power. As for the editing itself, I've got my own presets which speed it up a lot too. I can do mostly do say 100 photos, go to whoa, in under an hour.
05-23-2018, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #18

Original Poster
To both: barewfootdesigns and to Des. Thanks for some great tips and suggestions.
barefootdesighns, your explaining about the properties on my computer is going to show me what the settings were when the picture was taken.......priceless!! Thanks for that tip!

Des, mentioning the different "touch-ups' I can do in RAW files vs. jpeg is going to come in handy. I'm sure, in the beginning, I will take JPEG pictures but once I get familiar with this camera and it's many adjustments and uses, I will switch to either RAW or both JPEG & RAW.
The link you posted about the Pentax K-50 Review was a good one and I do remember reading about the starter settings.

I hate to say it but the camera is still sitting on my shelf as I continue to read these reviews, I also downloaded the K-50 eBook by Yvon and am reading through that as I write this reply. I do pick the camera up or the lenses when I see something I don't quite understand in the reading to help me learn better about what is being discussed.

There is a lot to these digital cameras to learn but I vow to succeed!
Thanks for all your support and help in guiding me to a successful learning curve!

Much appreciated,
Steve in Central Vermont

---------- Post added 05-23-18 at 07:17 PM ----------

I forgot to mention that I also own a Canon Powershot SX110 digital camera. I'm not sure how I forgot this one as it takes most all of the pictures and video I have thus far!
Sorry about not mentioning it earlier. The reason I mention it now is because I remembered last year I had two visitors in my back yard at two different times that I was able to capture some video with. The first video is a newborn fawn that is cute but - a warning....there is a lot of butt licking by the mom deer!
The second video is when I video taped a bear in my apple tree! Be patient when you watch it, there are some quite shaky moments as I was trying to find a solid place to anchor my arm to steady the camera (that and I was a bit excited to see this happening!!). It was a fluke that I just happened to look out my back window when the bear climbed up the tree, at first I thought it was a Fischer cat....until I zoomed in on the body in the tree and realized it was a bear. Like I said, be patient watching the bear video and I think you'll enjoy the end result.

I'll be excited to see how a similar situation looks like when I can video the event with my new K-50 camera!!!
Enjoy.... there is some audio in both clips.
Fawn:
Bear in the apple tree:

Last edited by Blackink; 05-23-2018 at 07:19 PM.
05-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #19
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Magic moments you've captured there Steve. Hope you can get the K-50 into action soon.

05-25-2018, 05:51 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Magic moments you've captured there Steve. Hope you can get the K-50 into action soon.
So do I Des....so do I!!!