Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #1

A newbie from New England...

This newbie is from the state of Vermont, that is! Hello to all you photographers, old & new alike.

Me.....I'm an older newbie!
My actual name is Steve, the user name Blackink, I still use that today because when I retired, I was a color and black & white printing press operator. Those days are gone!!! Weeeee........!

So my experience with cameras is with the old Polaroid cameras, some knowledge with basic 35mm film (boy, were those the days, eh?!?), and the camera on my LG Android phone-and I struggle using that sometimes!

I was gifted with an almost, and I mean almost, brand new Pentax K-50 digital camera from a friend of mine (see pics below), who needs my help every now and then, who felt it necessary to offer it to me for the volunteer work I did for him with his small engine repair business. This camera probably had 30 pictures taken on it when he gave it to me.

So talk about jumping right into the digital photography era with both feet, this camera will certainly do that to you! I have a BIG learning curve ahead of me, and that's just trying to learn how to operate it on Auto, forget about all the other settings this camera has. Compared to what I'm use to....this thing's a beast!!!

I've got a feeling I'll be using this Web site for references many, many times and asking for help who knows how many times.
I hope you all can be patient with me!!! Some of my questions may seem foolish at times but I'm going to ask them anyway!

So besides the printed owner's manual and the CD-Rom software and the K-50 body, I got 2 lenses: an 18-55mm lens and a 50-200mm lens. 2 UV filters: a 52mm filter and a 49mm filter.

Wish me luck....I'm going to need it. I'm not sure how the picture of the 2 lenses ended upside down, they're not like that on my PC....sorry about that!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LGL22C  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
LGL22C  Photo   
05-19-2018, 04:32 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, Steve, welcome! I'm from Connecticut, but we have a small farm in Vermont too. I own a K-50; and I'm no pro, so had to go through what you are experiencing, so might be of some help. I would start at the auto setting and take a bunch of pix in all kinds of light, etc. The two lenses you have are the kit lenses that come with the camera. They aren't the highest quality that would cost you thousand$ but they are quite decent lenses which are, incidentally, waterproof, like the camera. This is about the cheapest camera around that is WP, with WP lenses. It's quite a competent kit, actually.

I suggest that you read a group of reviews of the K-50--not just the one here on PentaxForums. Reading the reviews will alert you to many of the strengths and weakness of the kit you have. Reading DIFFERENT ones will give you a better overview.

Good luck! Carla
05-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia Steve, and welcome to the Pentax forums and Pentax equipment. Any help or advice you may need will be happily given by the members here.
Looking forward to your involvement.
05-19-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome from the other side of the world Steve.

A digital SLR does have a learning curve - and that's part of the fun. In fact there's no end to the curve!

Auto modes are good to begin with, but I'd suggest trying out some of the other modes as soon as you can. If you leave the camera in Auto, you won't learn why it's chosen the settings it has, let alone how other settings would have been better. When you break it down, the three variables for exposure are aperture (the f number), shutter speed and ISO (sensitivity). Change one, and the camera will adjust one or both of the others to compensate (unless you are in full manual mode). For example, if you use a narrow aperture (that is, a higher f-stop), such as going from f5.6 to f8 it will let in less light - by one stop in that example. The camera will want to get that one stop back - e.g. by using a slower shutter speed (say, going from 1/125th second to 1/60th second, which is also one stop) or by increasing the ISO (say from 400 to 800, which is also one stop). You need to work out what the best trade off is for the particular situation. Increasing the ISO gives less detail and more noise; slowing the shutter creates more risk of blur (either because the subject moves or the camera does a little); and narrowing the aperture gives shorter depth of field (that is, a smaller area in focus).

A way to ease into this is to use P (Program) mode. The camera will have a guess at the best settings, but with Pentax cameras you can override these settings. You can limit the range of the ISO - with the K-50 I'd suggest keeping it in the range of 100-1600 if possible. You can override the shutter speed by turning the front dial on the camera, and override the aperture by turning the back dial. Try it and see what happens. You can take as many shots as you like at no cost!

There are lots of helpful articles on this site. Try these for starters:
Exposure Basics: A Complete Guide for Beginners - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

Don't hold back from asking questions. People are generally patient and helpful here. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

05-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax forums.
05-19-2018, 11:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from Old England, Steve!
05-20-2018, 05:17 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, there's all sorts of photography interests here.

05-21-2018, 04:29 PM - 2 Likes   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barefootdesigns Quote
So, Steve, welcome! I'm from Connecticut, but we have a small farm in Vermont too. I own a K-50; and I'm no pro, so had to go through what you are experiencing, so might be of some help. I would start at the auto setting and take a bunch of pix in all kinds of light, etc. The two lenses you have are the kit lenses that come with the camera. They aren't the highest quality that would cost you thousand$ but they are quite decent lenses which are, incidentally, waterproof, like the camera. This is about the cheapest camera around that is WP, with WP lenses. It's quite a competent kit, actually.

I suggest that you read a group of reviews of the K-50--not just the one here on PentaxForums. Reading the reviews will alert you to many of the strengths and weakness of the kit you have. Reading DIFFERENT ones will give you a better overview.

Good luck! Carla
Hi Carla, thanks for the support and links. All suggestions will be welcome at this point (as in....point & shoot??!!??....Not !) lolol

A Vermont farm....I love it. Is it organic?!? We grow most of the vegetables that we eat here. maybe some day I'll post some pics with the K-50.

Take care neighbor,
Steve

---------- Post added 05-21-18 at 04:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi from Australia Steve, and welcome to the Pentax forums and Pentax equipment. Any help or advice you may need will be happily given by the members here.
Looking forward to your involvement.
Hi Peter. All the way from Australia....cool! I love how forums like these can bring so many folks closer together.
As far as me getting involved in this thread or forum, it'll mostly be questions.....questions.....and more questions.....

Right now, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the reading I've done and have yet to do. Pretty soon I'll put the camera lens on the body and fire it up and take some pictures just to see how it works.
I'm excited to learn how to use it. I live outside of the city where woods are in my back yard. So are whitetail deer at times, as well as a rabbit or two and occasionally a black bear comes wandering through.
Getting pictures of these animals will be exciting, especially this time of year when the chance of sighting newborns are possible!

Thanks for your kind words,
Steve

---------- Post added 05-21-18 at 04:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Welcome from the other side of the world Steve.

A digital SLR does have a learning curve - and that's part of the fun. In fact there's no end to the curve!

Auto modes are good to begin with, but I'd suggest trying out some of the other modes as soon as you can. If you leave the camera in Auto, you won't learn why it's chosen the settings it has, let alone how other settings would have been better. When you break it down, the three variables for exposure are aperture (the f number), shutter speed and ISO (sensitivity). Change one, and the camera will adjust one or both of the others to compensate (unless you are in full manual mode). For example, if you use a narrow aperture (that is, a higher f-stop), such as going from f5.6 to f8 it will let in less light - by one stop in that example. The camera will want to get that one stop back - e.g. by using a slower shutter speed (say, going from 1/125th second to 1/60th second, which is also one stop) or by increasing the ISO (say from 400 to 800, which is also one stop). You need to work out what the best trade off is for the particular situation. Increasing the ISO gives less detail and more noise; slowing the shutter creates more risk of blur (either because the subject moves or the camera does a little); and narrowing the aperture gives shorter depth of field (that is, a smaller area in focus).

A way to ease into this is to use P (Program) mode. The camera will have a guess at the best settings, but with Pentax cameras you can override these settings. You can limit the range of the ISO - with the K-50 I'd suggest keeping it in the range of 100-1600 if possible. You can override the shutter speed by turning the front dial on the camera, and override the aperture by turning the back dial. Try it and see what happens. You can take as many shots as you like at no cost!

There are lots of helpful articles on this site. Try these for starters:
Exposure Basics: A Complete Guide for Beginners - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

Don't hold back from asking questions. People are generally patient and helpful here. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
Hi Des. No doubt about it, I'm having fun reading about all the features this beast has!
You certainly offer some great tips, especially mentioning the 3 variables for exposure. I've read more times than not, about those three adjustments and how much of a difference they can make.

And.......I can take as many pictures as i want and it doesn't cost me a thing. Glad about that too!!!
I have a Word document that I have been saving pieces of info that I find informative and very likely will be useful while learning/using the camera and I've copied your notes that you posted.

Thanks,
Steve

---------- Post added 05-21-18 at 04:44 PM ----------

Thanks for the kind welcome.

I'll do my best to make you all proud when I've somewhat, mastered this Pentax K-50.
05-22-2018, 01:27 AM   #9
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blackink Quote
Thanks for your kind words,
Most welcome Steve, good to have you aboard.
05-22-2018, 04:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Welcome Steve!
It sounds like you have the opportunity to do some wildlife photography in your area. The 55-200 will be a good start for this but more reach is always good - it can become an expensive hobby!
BTW, just be aware that your camera and lenses are not waterproof, only 'weather resistant' which basically means light rain only.
05-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, there's all sorts of photography interests here.
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Welcome to Pentax forums.
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Welcome from Old England, Steve!

Thanks for the kind and friendly Welcomes...
05-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blackink Quote
I live outside of the city where woods are in my back yard. So are whitetail deer at times, as well as a rabbit or two and occasionally a black bear comes wandering through. Getting pictures of these animals will be exciting, especially this time of year when the chance of sighting newborns are possible!
QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote
It sounds like you have the opportunity to do some wildlife photography in your area. The 55-200 will be a good start for this but more reach is always good - it can become an expensive hobby! BTW, just be aware that your camera and lenses are not waterproof, only 'weather resistant' which basically means light rain only.
I was going to say the same thing as @Dieseler. There are several affordable zoom lenses that extend to 300mm - that extra 100mm will make a big difference for wildlife photos. I'd suggest looking for one of the Pentax DA 55-300mm lenses. Two of them are weather-resistant (WR):
1. HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database This one is recently discontinued but is still available new at excellent prices if you look around, and used ones are even cheaper.
2. HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database This one is known as the PLM, which refers to its fast and silent Pulse Lens Motor autofocus system. It will work with the K-50 once you install the free firmware upgrade on the camera.

Optically, there's not a lot between these models at 300mm, which makes the older model outstanding value at present, if you don't mind the rather noisy and much slower autofocus.

Last edited by Des; 05-22-2018 at 10:52 PM.
05-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #13
smf
Pentaxian

Welcome and best wishes! (I sent a Private Message to you a few minutes ago.)
05-22-2018, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #14

[quote=Blackink;4286089]Hi Carla, thanks for the support and links. All suggestions will be welcome at this point (as in....point & shoot??!!??....Not !) lolol

A Vermont farm....I love it. Is it organic?!? We grow most of the vegetables that we eat here. maybe some day I'll post some pics with the K-50.

Take care neighbor,
Steve[COLOR="Silver"]

Hi Steve,
I'm glad you have a "cheat sheet" for your notes. That will help a lot. The reason I suggested using the auto setting is so you wouldn't be overwhelmed with all the variables coming out the door. It helps to have some success right at first and the auto setting more or less guarantees that. One thing I didn't say and should have, is to watch the numbers that the camera picks in varying light, etc. Push the camera to do difficult things--low light (where the subject might be dark enough to hinder focusing, or the picture come out too dark), shooting into the sun (look for "flair" where the sun can dilute the colors and even blot out part of the picture--showing you perhaps that you need a hood on that lens), trying to catch something moving (look for blur, where a slower lens or low light will create more blur, and a faster lens or better light will have less blur and better focusing), try using the camera's macro setting (to see how close you can get, which is a lot of fun), etc. Then look closely at the pictures; now you will have something to download, and that's important to get a handle on right away. When you are looking at the pictures on your computer, right click the picture and there will be an option for "Properties". Left click that. Inside there, go up and left click on "Details" and you should have a listing of the settings that the camera used to take the picture. It's good experience to try and figure out how and why those settings were used against the results you got.

After that, start messing around with individual settings, like the f-stop that determines how much of the subject will be in focus. The wonderful thing about digital is that it costs nothing to screw around. Sure, it will be confusing, and don't bite off too much at once and get discouraged. The reason I suggested reading a lot of reviews is that it will familiarize you with the components of the camera and you will develop a lexicon of camera terms which will help you understand what all those buttons are for. I had been shooting pictures for years before I really tackled a lot of that language, because my old Spotmatic F was a pretty simple camera, unlike modern DSLRs.

Of course we're always here to make fun of you. I'm joking, of course, but we will try to help if you ask. One day before too long you will begin to understand how things work and then it will be more fun to shoot pix and show them off. We're pulling for you. As Des said, there are really no dumb questions.

In answer to your query, we have a garden in VT that's about 20' X 40', which we expand each year. It's about six years old now and yesterday we ate the first asparagus! Yes, it's organic--a square-foot garden if you know the term. We've always had an organic mindset, but never used the square-foot technique till recently and the results are astounding. We can't get over how much that little plot produces! Much fun and we're not afraid to eat our vegetables. Maybe you could give us some tips on how to raise spinach. That seems to be susceptible to varmints and bolting and every manner of misbehaving. It's my favorite vege but we never seem to get enough of it. Hey, take some pix of your garden. I'd love to see it.
Best,
c:

Last edited by barefootdesigns; 05-22-2018 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Corrections
05-22-2018, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barefootdesigns Quote
The reason I suggested reading a lot of reviews is that it will familiarize you with the components of the camera and you will develop a lexicon of camera terms which will help you understand what all those buttons are for.
Absolutely - and a good place to start is the Pentax Forums review (Pentax K-50 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews). One handy feature of that review is a page of recommendations for settings to start with.

But to make sense of those recommendations, you will first need to decide whether to shoot in RAW (either DNG or PEF format) or jpg.

Most experienced users shoot in RAW (mostly DNG although it doesn't really matter that much), which creates bigger files but gives you way more scope to manipulate the images on your computer. Image underexposed? No problem - fix it in processing. Purple fringing? Fix it in processing. Some parts too dark and some too bright? Lots of scope for fixing. Wide angle distortion? Easily fixed. Colours too far down the blue (cool) scale or too far down the yellow (warm) scale? Can be completely revised in post processing. Prefer the image in black and white? Post-processing. Dust spot? A touch and they are gone. This is just very basic editing, before you get to more elaborate tricks.

If you shoot jpgs, the camera does some processing. You can specify a number of variables (e.g. how bright you would like the colours to be). And you can set the camera to make automatic corrections for some things, like distortion and sharpness. To a very limited extent, you can also process a jpg image later on your computer (for example to increase the exposure). But the in-camera corrections, and post-processing of a jpg image, are far more limited in scope and effectiveness than those available by post-processing of a RAW file.

If you find the idea of processing RAW files daunting, when you are trying to learn many other things, the best solution is set the camera to create both RAW and jpg files at the same time. You can show and share the jpgs right away, and process RAW files (at least for those worth doing) later.

My greatest photographic regret is not having RAW images from my first 6 years of digital photography. I look at the jpg files and think what vastly better results I could get if only I had the RAW files. (RAW + jpg wasn't an option then.) I've got photos of people who have now died, places I will never revisit, magic moments I can never re-create. I wish, I wish, I had those photos in RAW. Don't make the same mistake.

Storage media are now so cheap you can keep vast numbers of photos on affordable external hard-drives and/or in the cloud. (Always back them up.) It helps to think about a way to store them and index them that will make them easy to find them later. There are programs that will help you do this. There was a thread here a while back in which people shared their experiences of their own photo management systems. May be worth tracking down.

Last edited by Des; 05-22-2018 at 11:51 PM.