Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #1

pentax v nikon.

hello guys from England ( but luckily I am half irish from donegaL. and I was doubly lucky to be born in Edinburgh Scotland.

try that for an opener!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

any how I have been employed on newspapaers as a journalist ( and a photographer ) in the UK but the best bit is I have been retired for 18 years, have travelled all over the world and all around Europe most taking pictures for myself.

#Okay you say - but why have I stopped using NIKON and switched over to a Pentax 1ST Ds?
No insurance when the Nikon got smashed and then at the second attempt I acquired the pentax with a Tamron 28-80 lens very very cheaply. and I was trying to see if the Pentax/tamron would be a good alternative? to the 18-70 Nikon lens?

Now we get to the crunch point ---- My Nikons would happily carry 4/8/16/32 GB memory cards but my pentax 1st Ds will only hack a
2 gb card.

Then today I started reading your website/forum and discovered I should try and download the upgrade to be able to accept larger memory cards?? Not yet so that's when I came to the pentax forum?

Like another person I have a number of clear memory cards I wish to use ---- can anybody help me please.

Oh by the way........................I forgot to mention I used many pentax film cameras 40 years ago and loved them so I thought I would try and compare the digital pentax way with the Nikon digital way as I did with tri x pan and kodacolour sitting behind the goal at football matches in the UK.

please try and help A RETIRED PHOTOGRAPHER who is no good at downloading firmware???????????

05-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #2
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome to the clubhouse Jim!

QuoteOriginally posted by jimgilmour Quote
please try and help A RETIRED PHOTOGRAPHER who is no good at downloading firmware???????????

Go here: Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

Follow the instructions, and you can't go wrong.

Be sure to have the batteries fully charged, so the update goes well.

So easy even a caveman could do it.
05-20-2018, 08:34 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was doubly lucky to be born in Edinburgh Scotland.
Welcome to the forum, you can forget all the rest of the roots thing, born in "Auld Reekie" is good enough for me.
05-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Now we get to the crunch point ---- My Nikons would happily carry 4/8/16/32 GB memory cards but my pentax 1st Ds will only hack a
2 gb card.
Your *ist D is apparently older than the Nikons and typically that means it will not support other than the cards common at the time it was made. Older Nikons are the same way. Updating the firmware is not difficult and the only big cautions are that a fully charged battery be in the camera and that the memory card be known good, preferably with a fresh in-camera format applied. With the latest (last) firmware version installed, your camera should support cards with up to 32GB capacity.

Ricoh Japan: *istDS Firmware Download

Basic instructions are on the download page. (Ignore the operating system stuff.) There is also a tutorial here at Pentax Forums:

Pentax DSLR Firmware Update Guide - PentaxForums.com

Steve

05-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Jim. Welcome to the best forum/community in photography land Just had a look at the firmware updates and you will be able to use 8gb sdhc cards once the firmware has been installed. You will also have the option of continuous AF and be able to change your menu language to Swedish, just for fun, but good luck changing it back firmware updates are easy but just to reiterate, make sure your battery is fully charged and follow the instructions.

Also, being an old school photographer, have you considered old manual lenses? There are loads of Pentax-m 50mm units out there, not to mention a host of other primes and zooms at varying degrees of "bargain". (I got a cosina 135mm f2.8 multicoated manual lens for 12 on ebay, and it is a peach) Just make sure you read the reviews before buying (google lens, eg. "Miranda 24mm Pentax review" and you will see a link to the review in this forum). All the reviews are by fellow members and are very reliable.
05-20-2018, 01:12 PM   #6

Original Poster
jim gilmour

hello and good evening - thank you all that returned my plea for help in updating the camera software to run larger memory cards

now running 16gb cards and gone out at 6pm uk time and shot 64 pix. I now know that pentax shots colour wise are warmer than the cold blue of Nikon so I will this year run pentax instead.

I owe all on this forum a big big thank you - so if anybody needs help with either border collies -living walking or generally loving I can do free of charge. get in touch asap - young or old collies are no problem.

as far as photography- UK or eastern Europe Czech a/Slovakia/ Poland/ I a.m here to help. I have travelled extensively across the Czech republic and Slovakia and I have family friends there as well who also speak Polish and Russian fluently.

I have recently finished my portfolio 55 60 a4 prints so now I am thinking about the website I need to build.
bye for now

jim
05-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

hello guys from England ( but luckily I am half irish from donegaL. and I was doubly lucky to be born in Edinburgh Scotland.

try that for an opener!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, my ancestors were Austrian, Bohemian, Hungarian, German, Irish, and maybe even Slovak, but I was lucky enough to be born in Saskatchewan, Canada, where most people have similarly diverse backgrounds. (The two things all of those ancestors had in common was Catholicism and peasantry).

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 05-20-2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: omission