Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-04-2018, 05:03 AM   #1

G'Day from Australia

Just joined the forum as I have finally upgraded from my istDS to a K70 and have valued the info posted here on this site.
I will be looking for info on setting tweaks from the default K70 settings to get the best jpegs possible.

06-04-2018, 06:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. I'd help with the jpegs, but it's just not something I do. But there are lots here who do use jpegs so it won't be long before someone gets here to post some info.
06-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

In the K-70 review I believe there are some hints for using jpegs in the recommended setting tab:
Pentax K-70 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Welcome to the forum!
06-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, enjoy the camera.

06-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
G'day mate and welcome to the forum
06-17-2018, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! I shoot JPEGs most of the time and find them to be very satisfactory with the models I have chosen. One recommendation I can offer, rather than turn down sharpening, leave it at default- which is up by +1 in the "Bright" setting- and at mid-point in "Natural" or increase it to match the "Bright" setting. Then be sure to add "Fine sharpening in both cases! I have found implementing "Fine sharpening" will counteract the negative over-sharpening effects found in tests for JPEGs in some Pentax bodies, and will provide excellent imaging. The "Bright" setting is best for most images, but "Natural" may be better for skin tones and for high-contrast scenes.

I have two posts in the "New in Texas K-5..." thread in which I also explain the unique Pentax Hyper System.
06-17-2018, 07:45 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Welcome! I shoot JPEGs most of the time and find them to be very satisfactory with the models I have chosen. One recommendation I can offer, rather than turn down sharpening, leave it at default- which is up by +1 in the "Bright" setting- and at mid-point in "Natural" or increase it to match the "Bright" setting. Then be sure to add "Fine sharpening in both cases! I have found implementing "Fine sharpening" will counteract the negative over-sharpening effects found in tests for JPEGs in some Pentax bodies, and will provide excellent imaging. The "Bright" setting is best for most images, but "Natural" may be better for skin tones and for high-contrast scenes.

I have two posts in the "New in Texas K-5..." thread in which I also explain the unique Pentax Hyper System.
Thanks for the info.

06-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day mate! That was a big jump, from the *istD to the K70. I'm sure you're thrilled.

---------- Post added 06-20-18 at 12:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote

I second this, that is what I do also.