Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #1

Greetings from eastern Ohio (Tuscarawas Co)

I recently bought a K-70 and it is very different from the Canon EOS I recently had. Are there any Pentax owners in eastern Ohio who would want to collaborate, or can you point me to classes? I would also like to buy a zoom and macro lens, but am having a hard time figuring out which lenses will work best for the least amount of money.

06-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Had I known. We were at Salt Fork for four days trying to learn things about my K-70. Leaving for West Virginia on Monday so cannot collaborate in terms of meet for awhile. i am learning, a newbie, so i do not know if i would be much help. I do recommend Yvon Bourques' book on the K-70 if you are overwhelmed with the features. The book is available through this Forum. As to lenses, as i said i am a newbie and may not have an educated eye, but I have had good success with the 55-300 plm both for flowers and far away. I saw today that Amazon has it for about $340 which seems a low price.
06-04-2018, 04:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
I did buy Mr. Bourques' book. It's been very helpful, but I think being able to ask someone questions will help more. I just got done ordering the 55-300 lens from Amazon (got a $70 discount for applying for their credit card. Woohoo!) It had really good reviews. Maybe we can organize some kind of camera get together in the future. Have fun in West by God Virginia!
06-04-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lulublick Quote
I recently bought a K-70 and it is very different from the Canon EOS I recently had. Are there any Pentax owners in eastern Ohio who would want to collaborate, or can you point me to classes? I would also like to buy a zoom and macro lens, but am having a hard time figuring out which lenses will work best for the least amount of money.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the K-70, I'm also in Ohio but not close to your area. Lenses are wide open with many older lenses that work well with your camera. If you want to do macro for the least amount of money, try to find an older manual focus macro lens with an A setting. The A setting means you can control exposure through the camera, it's just easier. Plus macro shooting is sometimes better with manual focus anyway in my opinion. Use the lens reviews on Pentax Forums to check out the lenses. As far as zooms there are plenty with different specs. You might start another thread in the lens section asking for lens advice, you'll find out that lots of people would like to help you spend your money, but you'll get some good advice too. Just include some clues like the macro, and what you would like to shoot with the zoom. Good Luck and have fun!

06-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the K-70, I'm also in Ohio but not close to your area. Lenses are wide open with many older lenses that work well with your camera. If you want to do macro for the least amount of money, try to find an older manual focus macro lens with an A setting. The A setting means you can control exposure through the camera, it's just easier. Plus macro shooting is sometimes better with manual focus anyway in my opinion. Use the lens reviews on Pentax Forums to check out the lenses. As far as zooms there are plenty with different specs. You might start another thread in the lens section asking for lens advice, you'll find out that lots of people would like to help you spend your money, but you'll get some good advice too. Just include some clues like the macro, and what you would like to shoot with the zoom. Good Luck and have fun!
Thank you! Sounds like good advice!
06-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #6
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, you will find lots of invaluable information here!
In the K-70 review here, there are many tips, especially in the Recommended Settings page:
Pentax K-70 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
06-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #7
SJM
Pentaxian

Greetings. I live in the Akron area.
06-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, it does become easier in time, enjoy the journey.