Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2018, 12:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums!
The K-3III is only a rumor at the moment, and there's no guarantee about when or if it will come.
If you need a camera now, then choose between all the fine alternatives the market gives you: compared to the Canon you had before they will certainly be a huge step up.

06-20-2018, 01:11 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kennygee Quote
Long time Pentax user . . . have been looking at the Pentax line up . . . . I shoot mostly candid Family and landscape and wildlife/birds, little to no video.. . . The K-3ii looks nice but might wait for the upgrade model if it might come in the $1000.00-$1200.00 range. . . . Any thoughts and recommendations appreciated!

welcome

I have a standard response to such questions for members who are from the US

consider using one of the photography rental companies

I have had good success with lensrentals.com but there are others

LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more

spend a little $ and do your own " testing " and if you find a favorite, then look for that equipment, new or " experienced "

if interested in " experienced " be sure to check out the Forum's market place

I have found these charts to be helpful [ although you may already know the info contained in them ]

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.

http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensesExplained.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-20-2018 at 01:21 AM.
06-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #18

Original Poster
New K-3ii owner!! well UPS still has it

Well I did it today. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on K-3ii from Adaroma with the battery grip. I was swayed by all the features that I could not get from Canon for anywhere near the price of the K-3ii. I am going to hold on to the Canon glass for a while and see what happens down the road. Technology is changing so fast in the last few years I didn't see the sense in waiting any longer and I am not getting any Younger. Thanks to all for Your advice and hope to be posting pics in the K-3 forum by this weekend?
06-21-2018, 12:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Who-ho! three cheers for your new acquisition!

06-21-2018, 02:07 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I did it today. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on K-3ii from Adaroma with the battery grip. . . . Thanks to all for Your advice and hope to be posting pics in the K-3 forum by this weekend?
we will be eagerly waiting you to do so
06-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #21

Original Poster
Not Yet

Well it has shipped , But wont be here to 6/25/18 Monday, guess I will go to the local Goodwill and see what kind of lenses they might have and read the owners manual, Again
06-24-2018, 04:55 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
G'day mate and welcome to the forum

06-28-2018, 03:15 AM   #23

welcome to the forum!
06-28-2018, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

a suggestion on how the OP might consider spending $

Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, K-70,K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2 and more DSLRs) - PentaxForums.com

looks like a nice selection of lenses currently available in the forum's market place [ Buy/Sell ] above

I have had very good luck using the Market Place to find " experienced " equipment
06-28-2018, 04:40 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
a suggestion on how the OP might consider spending $

Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, K-70,K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2 and more DSLRs) - PentaxForums.com

looks like a nice selection of lenses currently available in the forum's market place [ Buy/Sell ] above

I have had very good luck using the Market Place to find " experienced " equipment
+1, those ebooks are very good.
06-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #26
smf
Pentaxian

Welcome and best wishes. I hope you enjoy your new camera.

I have been very pleased with purchases made through the Marketplace here at Pentaxforums. If I recall correctly, all were made from sellers with 100 percent approval ratings.
06-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't help wondering

does the OP still play the sax

kenny g youtube - Bing video

06-28-2018, 12:38 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, fellow Texan! And congrats on the new camera!
06-28-2018, 05:29 PM   #29

Original Poster
Aslyfox , No never did play the sax, but I wish I had some of his money and Talent especially! My grandson is now playing 1st trumpet in High School if that means anything!
I am considering the Da 55-300 on the marketplace right now. I did post a couple of pics in the Picture forum that were taken with the M-42 Super Takumars I have but not super pics by any stretch of the imagination!
I guess I will have to sell some if not all of my Canon glass to buy new ,or used Pentax glass. Thanks all!! Kenny
06-29-2018, 01:04 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Aslyfox , No never did play the sax, but I wish I had some of his money and Talent especially! My grandson is now playing 1st trumpet in High School if that means anything!
I am considering the Da 55-300 on the marketplace right now. I did post a couple of pics in the Picture forum that were taken with the M-42 Super Takumars I have but not super pics by any stretch of the imagination!
I guess I will have to sell some if not all of my Canon glass to buy new ,or used Pentax glass. Thanks all!! Kenny
The 55-300 is a very good lens to start with, very versatile and IQ is good