Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #1

Sekonic Lumi 86 Light Meter

Hi, I recently found my mom's Nikonos 1, which hasn't been used in a couple of decades but still seems to work well. It has a Sekonic Auto-Lumi 86 light meter. I know absolutely nothing about photography but am quite determined to learn. I shot the first role of film (which came back completely blank but I haven't given up hope yet), but halfway through the light meter stopped working. It is still absorbing the light and the red line is moving to show how much light is coming through, but the green round one won't move with it. I have taken it to several shops as well as contacted the company who makes it and no one seems to know anything about it, especially how to fix it. Was thinking about taking it apart, as it is all fairly simply since it does not use a battery, but I am not totally sure of what I am doing, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them! Thank you!

06-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I can't help you with this issue, I'm sure someone who can will be along shortly, but welcome to the forum!
06-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have a Sekonic L-88 meter...same thing I believe. Bought mine new for $ 10 in 1968. Can't find it, so I'm going by memory.

First set the ASA (now known as ISO) dial. There are two dials on the face of the light meter. One dial is on top of the other. I think the top dial is the one you set your film speed with If you have 100 ISO film, set the dial to 100.
You first take a meter reading of the subject by pointing the top of the meter at the subject, if the subject is close by. The red meter moves when exposed to the light, reflecting off the subject. You then move, the second dial with the serrated edge. This is the dial you move when you want to determine shutter speed.F stop.

If memory serves me correct the serrated edged dial moves the green round needle....and when you have moved the green dial round part to where the red 'needle' is in the center of the round part of the green 'needle' that will give you, your shutter speed/F stop settings.

You then read the F stops and shutter speeds that are aligned together on the dial, and choose which you want to manually set your camera . For example...1/500th shutter speed and F 8 lens, etc. The dial gives you a choice of Shutter speeds/ F stops.

I'm going by memory so hope this works for you. These meters used selenium cells to read light and although simple, were generally reliable and fairly accurate. How to fix I do not know.

If you are measuring light with the meter of a subject far away, you then can read the 'approximate' light of the far away subject by measuring the light reflected off a gray card...that is receiving the same light. Then follow the above process.

Last edited by lesmore49; 06-05-2018 at 03:29 PM.
06-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, hope you find a solution soon to your issue.