Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #1

New in Texas, K-5 1st DSLR!

First Forum Post. I liked an old 35mm Pentax auto/programmable compact from 25 years ago, and I'm glad I went the Pentax route with my new purchase (last August). Immediately had a few lenses + lens adapter ring from same seller, plus a shoulder bag. Took camera plus three lenses to NW U.S. and Alaska last summer, the motivation for the purchase and had a blast! Thar she blows, burst speed humpback! Burst speed puffin! Going to take me more time and lots of shots to really learn how to get even more out of it, speed up the settings maneuvering. I like to work in Manual when I have the time. This summer, excited by the fun of some wedding party shots with a Fuji Instax 300 wide. Still in the mail, will see how they turn out.

06-12-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, feel free to share your results!
06-12-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, good to hear your enjoy your photography the Pentax way.
06-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! I live up the road in Cedar Park - maybe we can get together sometime and do some shooting around the area.

06-12-2018, 03:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!
I look forward to seeing some pictures
06-12-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome and where are those whale pictures you are teasing us about?
06-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with your K5!
06-12-2018, 07:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome, and you certainly have a fine start with the K-5. It can deliver very fine images, even JPEGs right from the camera. I have mine set up in the Custom Image menus with the camera set to "P" mode for the sake of making adjustments for all modes: Sharpening In the "Bright" image palette is by default up by 1 notch, which I increased to yet one more. Then I added an F by the S for "Fine Sharpening", using the thumb dial. Next I tabbed over to the next category- "Natural" and adjusted sharpening to be the same, which means I increased level by 2 notches before adding "Fine Sharpening". Then finally switched back to the"Bright" setting for most general shooting needs, and hit the ok button.

"Natural" might be better for people shots where more accurate skin tones are important, unless they are looking rather pale. It is also often better for high-contrast situations. But most often, "Bright" brings more colorful results- stärkere Farben um sich zu vergnügen!

06-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the clubhouse!
The K5 is a capable and durable camera, I'm sure you'll have a great time with it.
06-13-2018, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

BTW, you will find the unique Pentax Hyper System is most fast and efficient for both the "P" and "M" modes for making quick changes on the fly, and for setting instant metered exposure in the "M" mode using the green button, which is especially fast for taking spot meter readings around a scene- if you'd rather have a different aperture or shutter speed than the camera has set, hit the AE-L button, then as you change to your preferred aperture or shutter speed, the other will follow along to preserve your metered exposure. Also, if you'd rather only the aperture or the shutter speed to be set by the green button, you can set that up in menu.

In "P" mode, if you'd rather have a different aperture or shutter speed, just use the front or rear dial to go right ahead and change it- very simple! The camera is instantly shifted to Av or Tv operation without having to first change the mode dial before making your preferred change. It will remain so until you hit the green button to restore full "P" operation, or shut the camera off.