Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-12-2018, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #1

Hello from the Pacific North West

I started to write PNW but why confuse people as I see there are many members from around the world! I learned photography from my cousin who had a Pentax Spotmatic, I believe. So a few years later when I was in the military stationed in Germany, the Bitburg Audio-Photo Club was fantastic! The huge number of choices and the factory reps there all the time was overwhelming. But since I was familiar with Pentax, I stuck with it. The ME Super was such a cool camera. I still have it. I then got a Super Program, and when digital became all the rage, I had a few smaller point and shoots. A couple years went by before I took out the cameras, and decided to get a DSLR. Bought the K-50 with the 2 lens kit. It was weird not having to focus! But alas, I had the dreaded aperture solenoid failure. Being the fix it guy, I got out the screwdrivers, and cleaned up the ends of the magnet following a you tube video. It has worked for awhile, but then it stopped again. Nooooooo! but having searched this forum, it was suggested to try the burst mode to fire off some shots to get it going again and to not let the camera sit unused for very long. It wouldn't work with the lens on so I took it off, and it corrected the problem for now. So I now have an alarm in my phone to take the camera out every Sunday for some exercise. Hope to learn some new stuff here! Thanks.

06-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.

Kind regards,
Mark
(New Zealand)
06-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to have another Pentaxian from the PNW on the forum. Welcome.
06-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!
I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself

06-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax forums.
06-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! The ME Super was my first Pentax, bought brand new, which I used exclusively for 6 years, then continued with it as my 2nd compact body, even when I went to a large Pentax AF 35mm film SLR model. I finally gave it away, but it was a very beautiful design, more so even than the advanced Super Program, which I also got.

The closest to the ME Super design today is the silver Pentax KP, which is a far more advanced camera.

I have been lucky so far in not having had the aperture block problem with either my K-S2 or my former K-r. There are numerous postings in these forums on how to repair this problem successfully. So I know it can be done without much cost.

As I am informed, the more pro-style Pentax DSLR designs, including the KP, are built such that this is not an issue. However, it may also have been corrected in the K-70.
06-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome from another from the NW USA! My Pentax career also began with the ME Super and now a K-50 sits beside me.

'Tis true about shorthand, i live in southwest WA which is nowhere near Western Australia .

06-13-2018, 06:54 AM   #8
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hello and welcome to the forums.
06-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by azrojan Quote
I started to write PNW but why confuse people
Welcome to the forum, good catch... that's one less confused Highlander.
06-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am on a BMW forum also and have learned much from reading about other peoples adventures and having someone post a solution that would have taken me much longer to discover is priceless. Funny about the camera body colors. I really wanted a black camera as it indicated a more professional model and now that almost all of the consumer cameras are black, the silver ones are cool. My K-50 is green. I thought if I ever left it somewhere unattended and it walked off, it would be more obvious that it was my camera.
06-14-2018, 10:50 PM   #11
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you as a member.