Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #1

Hello from New York!

Hello everyone!

I'm an international student currently in New York, and started my hobby in photography from a lucky find in a goodwill several months ago. I'm pretty fond of thrift shopping, and got lucky one day and found a Pentax k1000 SE in fairly good condition for $10 along with a 125mm lens for $7. The focus on the extra lens have since gotten stuck, but the camera is luckily fully functional. I've chatted and learned some basics of aperture, f stop, etc through a friend and some research, but unfortunately I found the camera a bit late, as it was my final semester in school, and now I no longer have the opportunity to take a proper photography course to learn more about composition, film developing and such. I've used this site quite extensively since to research lenses that I find through thrift shopping and have since accumulated quite a few lenses (perhaps a few too many), and finally made the decision to become more active (hopefully) in the community. I'm still not very confident in my photos so you probably won't see a lot of photos from me for now .

I've always thought that I would be getting into photography through digital, but I'm pleasantly surprised. There's the suspense of not knowing how it came out until you eventually develop it, and the cost of $2-3 per photo really slows down and gets me thinking about my photos. Progressing from ruining about 25% of my photos per roll to mostly decent ones have been very rewarding, and I hope to get better as my focus and lighting is still rather poor. Regardless, I'm glad I found the opportunity to delve into photography. It's definitely one of the few things keeping me sane as I stay in the now empty college town studying for the boards. I hope to one day progress to a digital camera (no clue which one is best on a student budget) but I doubt I'll ever drop analog entirely, it's really grown on me.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my introduction, and hi!

06-13-2018, 12:55 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fobbo Quote
Hello everyone!

I'm an international student currently in New York, and started my hobby in photography from a lucky find in a goodwill several months ago. I'm pretty fond of thrift shopping, and got lucky one day and found a Pentax k1000 SE in fairly good condition for $10 along with a 125mm lens for $7. The focus on the extra lens have since gotten stuck, but the camera is luckily fully functional. I've chatted and learned some basics of aperture, f stop, etc through a friend and some research, but unfortunately I found the camera a bit late, as it was my final semester in school, and now I no longer have the opportunity to take a proper photography course to learn more about composition, film developing and such. I've used this site quite extensively since to research lenses that I find through thrift shopping and have since accumulated quite a few lenses (perhaps a few too many), and finally made the decision to become more active (hopefully) in the community. I'm still not very confident in my photos so you probably won't see a lot of photos from me for now .

I've always thought that I would be getting into photography through digital, but I'm pleasantly surprised. There's the suspense of not knowing how it came out until you eventually develop it, and the cost of $2-3 per photo really slows down and gets me thinking about my photos. Progressing from ruining about 25% of my photos per roll to mostly decent ones have been very rewarding, and I hope to get better as my focus and lighting is still rather poor. Regardless, I'm glad I found the opportunity to delve into photography. It's definitely one of the few things keeping me sane as I stay in the now empty college town studying for the boards. I hope to one day progress to a digital camera (no clue which one is best on a student budget) but I doubt I'll ever drop analog entirely, it's really grown on me.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my introduction, and hi!
with your thrift shop interests these might be helpful

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
06-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome.
Did you mean 135mm lens. 125mm is pretty rare could it be a voitlander?Voigtlander Macro APO-Lanthar 125mm f2.5 Lens Reviews - Voigtlander Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
06-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #4

Hello from AZ!
Welcome to the forums

06-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
with your thrift shop interests these might be helpful

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
Thanks a lot!
I've been looking for the K-mount on any lenses I do end up purchasing, although I wasn't aware there's so many different forms. I'm fairly certain I haven't ended up with anything that isn't compatible as they're all manual focus and have an aperture ring (There's probably something wrong with that statement, but that's how I've been judging the lenses), but I haven't stumbled on any recent looking lenses anyhow.
I understand many lenses can be used with the appropriate adaptor, are there any lenses/brands that are worth getting an adaptor to use? I've pretty much been immediately passing on anything that doesn't have the K-mount

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Welcome.
Did you mean 135mm lens. 125mm is pretty rare could it be a voitlander?Voigtlander Macro APO-Lanthar 125mm f2.5 Lens Reviews - Voigtlander Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Yeah, I meant 135mm, sorry. It's a sears lens (1:2.8), and I've since asked some people about repairing it and pretty much everyone tell me it's pretty cheap and not worth getting it repaired.
06-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
" there an article or two for that "

The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount
Technical Information and a Little Bit of History
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Dec 29, 2014

The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

"So you've found a lens and you don't know what camera it fits? Scroll down this set of photos until you find the one that it looks like. I don't have everything here, but I have most of the more common ones for manual-focus, focal plane shutter 35mm SLRs. "

SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide
06-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!
I look forward to seeing some results

06-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to New York and welcome to Pentax Forums!

Chris in Rockaway Beach
06-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome and hello from CA!
06-15-2018, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, many of us older film guys know where your coming from.
06-15-2018, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #11
Closed Account

Welcome from Australia.
06-24-2018, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum
06-27-2018, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #13

welcome to the forum. congrats on your goodwill find!
06-27-2018, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Your camera find is a nice way to get started.
06-27-2018, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #15
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hello and welcome.