Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2018, 11:21 AM - 4 Likes   #1

New to the Q

Hello all,

My name is Perry Wilson. I'm 28yo and work full time as a police officer. I began as a cinematographer for indie films when I was 16. Sicne then I've shot many films and have won a few festivals locally.

Back in my college years I travelled doing portraiture and product photography. I started my career with a 7D and a bunch of Alien Bee Strobes. I then moved on to the GH2 during its hacking days and shot two feature length indie films using the GH2 with old Konvas glass. When I had my first child at 22 I sold all of my gear to pay for hospital bills and gave up photography for a bit. As my child grew I began tinkering with cameras again. But I wanted something small and fun. I bought a GoPro 4 black and quickly modified it with the Ribcage and began using D-Mount glass I had collected over the years. The camera was great for video but sucked for photos. So I sold it and bought an A6000 and some old Minolta glass and Sony lenses. I was back.

Here is a link to some of my old work: Perry Wilson | Flickr

Only problem was, even though the A6000 was "small" I never wanted to carry it with me anywhere. So I sold it and began using my Galaxy S8+ using RAW and lightroom mobile. Why not right? I always have my phone. I bought a DJI Gimbal(which is now the only way Ill shoot video), and got to it. I was cranking out as good of photos as I've ever shot you know minus DOF of course because of the small sensor.

Here are some samples of phone photos BTW 2 kids and a wife now now:

So shooting with the phone was going well until my daughters graduation. I found the limitations. As she walked across the stage I pushed that "shutter button" and BLUR BLUR BLUR. the electronic shutter just couldn't hang. Plus electronic shutters combo'd with a touchscreen shutter button suck.

So I looked for something tiny that would be awesome, with a real shutter, shutter button, and I could carry everywhere. I then remembered the Little Pentax Q. A camera that since its release I have lusted for but never wanted to spend the money on. I did my research and popped on a Q-S1 on Keh. Black with Burgandy grip(only black one they had) So far I love it.

I wanted to see how I could push the camera, and being an ex strobist I started reading about the oddities of the Q in regards to off camera flash. So I set out to see if I could get around the whole 1/125 sync problem because I want HSS, impossible you say? Well Pentax gave us a treat with this camera. Because of the great leaf shutters the onboard flash can sync to 1/2000 which is amazing. So why not use a slave? I grabbed my Yongnuo 560IV and tried it since it has built in slave mode.

BOOM it works. I give you my first shot, of "HSS" on the Pentax Q. Shot at ISO100 SS 1/2000 2.8 with flash set to 1/2 power (will not work on 1/1 power, dont know why must be too slow or something, ive tried down to 5" and still doesn't capture on 1/1) Flash set to top right 2 ft off subject with mini softbox.

Well Im excited to be here. I hope to bring some fun, knowledge, and hopefully more good pics to the forum. I also look forward to seeing all of your work and learning about this amazing little camera from all of you. Till next time...

06-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool. The Q is a disguised talent that is appreciated by many of us here. Glad it's doing what you want
06-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, what a great intro... I feel I've known you for years.

But as others will no doubt tell you, knowing the old Kerrowdown for years is probably not a good thing.
06-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great background! Welcome - we need more fun and Q-ness around here.

06-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome!
06-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #6
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. You gave a great intro. I was a late Q convert. Got the original Q first for $200 with the 01 03 and 06 lenses. Followed that up with a Q10 just because I could get it for the price of the 02 lens that was attached to it. Then a couple of weeks ago I grabbed a Q7 for a bargain price after waiting some time for one to turn up. I wanted the larger sensor. I love the D-mount and C-mount opportunities that they open up. But why so many Q bodies? Well, I really only need 2 but I find them convenient to carry when out in the bush and other gear takes priority. I carry 2 bodies - the Q7 gives me nice IQ with the 06 attached, and I can also carry the Q10 with the 01 for closer work, with a couple of extra manual lenses squeezed in just for fun and variety. They don't take up much space. I still have the K-3 for when I want to get serious.

You first pic struck a chord with me. I have a similar shot of wife in large sunglasses with our two girls - taken in B&W years before you were born. Talk about photography being preserved memories!

I look forward to seeing what you do with that Q-S1.
06-19-2018, 07:02 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums, from another Q fan - and my compliments on your excellent work with HSS... That's a very nice contribution to kick off with!

The Q-series cameras are capable of very impressive results, especially with a little post-processing. I frequently take my Q7 on trips in preference to my larger DSLR and mirrorless gear, and I'm rarely disappointed.

Good to have you with us!
06-19-2018, 07:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome.

I shot my daughter's graduation with a Q-7. Having zoom is very useful

06-19-2018, 07:11 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Perry! There is a strong Q support group here who will be eager to offer help when you need it. Although it looks like you will have a lot to offer also!
06-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you all for the warm welcomes. Like many I too chose the camera for travel. I wont destroy that 56k but hope you all will bear with me on a few family pics. Just excited to share in the future.
06-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #11
Resident Nerd
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum, I look forward to seeing more photos
06-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #12

Original Poster
Played in the Sprinklers today to escape the summer heat. This camera continues to impress. ISO 100, SS 1600, Aputure 3.5. Single Yongnuo 560IV on Slave triggered with onboard Q flash. Subject up/left through micro softbox. Backlit with sun.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
06-25-2018, 06:51 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You captured the look of summer very well, Perry.
06-26-2018, 04:34 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
G'day mate and welcome to the forum