Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2018, 02:51 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Might have failed to do this.

I think when I found PentaxForums, I simply jumped right into the fray without any sort of introduction. So here goes...

My first name is John.

I've been a photographer of sorts-mostly amateur since the early 1970's. Shot for the school newspaper and yearbook. Worked in the school darkroom and scrounged equipment to set one up in a spare room in my parents' house. Bought a series of Pentax Cameras that are now in storage. Went away to school and shot for that newspaper and yearbook. Came back home and continued college locally while working as a stringer for a local newspaper. Worked in their darkroom. Took time to start and raise a family. Acquired a ZX10 about the time my oldest started middle school. Shot a lot of flowers and bugs. Bought one of the first *ists'. Shot school events and sports as an overactive parent. Bought two K10 to continue that silliness up to the last kid (have three) graduated.

Dabbled in both wedding and product photography for a few years; shot more life event type stuff. Got paid sometimes. Got credit in the store for shooting their seeds and seedlings. And rakes and shovels.

Built and expanded a home darkroom developing and printing B&W, Color and Color slides along the way. All that stuff is now in storage. All digital now. All the usual stuff to do it mostly right. What gets printed is sent out to a local outfit. Counted boxes and albums and old hard drives and estimated there is 750,000 to a million images in my collection (unpleasant mess). Someday I may actually figure out and understand what photography is all about.

I was 'active' early in the history of this site-like I said I just jumped right in. Contributed in mostly positive ways back then. (Leaving out some parts to avoid ...) Then I drifted away. Didn't stop snapping the shutter but found a number of other interests besides forums (of all types). I stopped in a couple times but didn't get re-infected with the need to post.

I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I'm a chemical engineer formally trained in a university. I'm an avid, some would say obnoxious firearms enthusiast; former hunter, former competition shooter, current licensed concealed carrier. I read voraciously, mostly science fiction and apocalyptic nonsense but also some history and science. I hold an amateur extra radio license and am a volunteer examiner. I'm a pretty good short order cook but a lousy homemaker. I'm a very talented destroyer of leather-an ongoing home business adventure. I travel with my wife when possible; we also geocache now and then. No significant vices but I do enjoy a bit of single malt scotch (the expensive stuff) now and then. I collect slide rules, interesting tools, modern fountain pens and on occasion some moss if I sit too long.

I try to play nice but I still don't suffer the purposefully obtuse personality well. I have learned to walk away most of the time, but direct challenges can be sticky.

I'm working to put up a new website, a blog of sorts. I'll announce when it's ready. The old ones (websites) went down a couple months ago.

I'm glad to be back. I might be wiser but I am certainly older. I hope we can be friends or friends again.

06-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome

looking forward to the contributions
06-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi John, and welcome back

Forums can be great places, but it takes a joint effort from everyone to be nice, yet also not too sensitive. Without the former, people can get offended, and without the latter... well, people can get offended

We certainly share a common interest in photography. As for shooting (firearms), it's something I did many years ago but haven't kept up the hobby. I do hold a UK Class A amateur radio license gained in '99 when CW was a requirement, and I'm active (on and off) on HF (SSB, a little CW and some PSK31), D-STAR and recently "network radio" (via IRN and Zello). Maybe we'll get the chance to chat sometime

Good to have you back with us.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-21-2018 at 03:34 PM.
06-21-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome back, looking for some contribution

06-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome back to the forum. Feel free to jump right in again!
06-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #6
Closed Account

Welcome ( back ) from Australia.
06-22-2018, 12:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi John, welcome from the UK. I’ve been to Albuquerque a few times, including being stuck at the top of Sandia Peak when the cable car failed during a thunderstorm, probably in the late 90s. So I spent longer in the bar and checking out the humming bird feeders than I’d anticipated.

06-22-2018, 12:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome back John!
06-23-2018, 01:22 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, great intro, feel like I’ve known you for years.
06-24-2018, 04:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum