Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2018, 07:42 AM   #1

Hello, I am from the UK, I am a student, here is my introduction

I started getting interested in photography a couple of years ago. I'm studying art and mostly I paint. Whilst I haven't tended to use photos as references for painting taking photographs has been teaching me a lot about ways of seeing: composition, contrast etc.

I've been taking film photographs, I tend not to use computers, I have had very little use for digital images other than the occasional e-mail, so I have stuck with film. Although perhaps one day I will venture into digital as there are obviously many advantages.

My first camera (around 20 years ago) was a slim cuboid which took a 110 cartridge (I didn't use it very much, I was an impatient child). My second camera was a point and shoot digital camera with which I took many terrible holiday photos (lots of headless portraits). My third camera was my dad's old Minolta x-300, which I lost last year. My current camera, which I like very much, is a Chinon CA-4.

I don't own any Pentax cameras, I have a handful of first and third party Pentax K mount lenses which I use on the Chinon. I am looking for an all manual camera (tired of changing ASA and forgetting), I have heard nice things about the MX. I ordered an ME Super (for its lens) with a 'sealed' battery compartment from ebay recently, if I can get that to work I'll see if I can get used to the buttons, but if not I'll resume my hunt for a reasonably priced MX.

I've been lurking here for a while looking at the lens reviews. I'll write some reviews once I feel competent enough to know what's up.

I aspire one day to take good photographs (at least more than 2 or 3 per 36exp) and expand into the realms of medium and large format photography. I'd also like to do some pinhole photography and maybe some experimental things.

Photographers that I like (photographers that I know the names of): Lee Miller, Man Ray, Bill Cunningham, David Hockney, Ansel Adams, Helmut Newton, Alfred Stieglitz, Robert Mapplethorpe

I don't know if anyone actually reads these... if you have, thanks for reading!

06-30-2018, 07:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!
I look forward to seeing some participation, there's a big film crowd here
06-30-2018, 09:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do read them! Welcome to the forums
06-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, lots of people read introductions, not all reply quickly. Some almost never; I’m usually in that group. No real explanation. Hey, I didn’t write my own introduction for more than a decade! Lots of ‘doers’ here; almost all doing something else. In so far as my welcome goes: WELCOME, have a good time, its a great place!

06-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of us film shooters here, be sure to check out some of the groups.
06-30-2018, 06:42 PM   #6
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome and best wishes.
06-30-2018, 11:58 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by amci Quote
I don't know if anyone actually reads these...
Welcome to the forum and yes they do... right to the very end.

While your looking for your MX, if you come across an LX, this was the flagship film camera and big sister to the MX.

07-01-2018, 06:50 AM   #8

Welcome. I agree that photography and painting as art forms really complement each other. Look forward to seeing some of your photos!
07-01-2018, 06:56 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! You are already approaching photography like a real Pentaxian.