Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2018, 06:51 PM   #1

Hello from Toronto!

Hey all!

Not only am I new to Pentax, but I'm also a complete photography fetus. I just got a K-70 as my first dslr and I'm really looking forward to learning the art.

07-08-2018, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome! That's the trouble... Once you get a dslr you'll want to get some lenses
07-08-2018, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good start! Finding the forum was another good idea. You will like it here. If you don't have basic exposure understanding this book is highly recommended:

https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Fourth-Photographs-Camera/dp/1...ntaxforums-20&
07-09-2018, 12:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi, and welcome from Australia.

07-09-2018, 12:41 AM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome

perhaps this info might be of interest:

Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
07-09-2018, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

a few more posts from you this month and you will be eligible:

Pentax K-1 Triple Giveaway: Summer 2018 - Giveaways and Events | PentaxForums.com
07-09-2018, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Good start! Finding the forum was another good idea. You will like it here. If you don't have basic exposure understanding this book is highly recommended:

Understanding Exposure, Fourth Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Bryan Peterson: 9781607748502: amazon.com: Books?tag=pentaxforums-20&
lots of great info available under " Cameras " , " Lenses " and " Articles " sections above

for example

Resources | PentaxForums.com

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/community-favorite-resources-2015.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/exposure-beginner-guide/introduction.html

07-09-2018, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #8

Welcome to rhe Forum. I'm just north of you in King City and have been a Pentax user for over 50 years, Yiks!. As you can see from other responses there is lots of information here and advise. Enjoy your new camera and get out there and shoot.
07-09-2018, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. I just moved home to Toronto after living in NYC for ten years. I hope you enjoy your new camera and this online community.

I picked up my first DSLR about five years ago, and I found it was very helpful to take a hands-on introductory class (mine was six, two-hour lessons) to help get me comfortable with my equipment and shooting in manual mode. It was also a lot of fun and I enjoyed meeting other students, doing short in-class excursions and completing the homework assignments. Henry's Camera offers a 5-week introductory course.

After that, I benefited from some online courses as well as books like Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure.

My work is here: Frog out of Water Photography
07-09-2018, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by ssaadati Quote
Hello from Toronto!
Welcome to both the forum and your new photography journey, enjoy both in equal amounts.
07-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums. The K-70 is an awesome tool for starters. And considering photography as art may be the best way to think about it. What have you picked up as a first lens ?
08-02-2018, 03:45 AM   #12

welcome to the forum. congratulations on the beginning of your journey in photography.
08-02-2018, 11:09 AM   #13
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi and welcome.
08-28-2018, 01:09 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum
08-28-2018, 03:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member