Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2018, 03:31 PM   #1

New to Pentax

Hi

I am new to the Pentax cameras but not new to photography. I am an avid hobbyist and bought a K-70 a few months back to add to my collection. I like the camera but I am still learning about it. This may not be the proper place to ask but I have a question about this cameras workings that I can not figured out. I have tried Google, Bing, etc. and no information as to my issue. I could not find an answer in the online users manual either. The question is this. Is it normal for the shutter to click twice in live view and only once in the viewfinder? Is there some way to disable this action? I do not know if this is related but I had a couple of double exposures using a manual lens and that is something I have never had on a digital camera before.

Thanks in advance

07-12-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. Are you sure it's the shutter clicking twice, and not just the mirror being raised?

Any chance you've turned on 'bracketing' or 'multi-exposure'?
07-12-2018, 04:36 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 54bravo Quote
Hi

I am new to the Pentax cameras but not new to photography. I am an avid hobbyist and bought a K-70 a few months back to add to my collection. I like the camera but I am still learning about it. This may not be the proper place to ask but I have a question about this cameras workings that I can not figured out. I have tried Google, Bing, etc. and no information as to my issue. I could not find an answer in the online users manual either. The question is this. Is it normal for the shutter to click twice in live view and only once in the viewfinder? Is there some way to disable this action? I do not know if this is related but I had a couple of double exposures using a manual lens and that is something I have never had on a digital camera before.

Thanks in advance
If I recall the K-70 - like the K-50 has the shutter and mirror tied together in a common block that requires the mirror to drop down before you can fire the shutter - it can't just close and then reopen. This is why using live view does not eliminate shake as much as 2 second self-timer which first raises the mirror and waits 2 seconds before firing the shutter. At least that's what I remember.

So sound wise, the shutter closes and mirror drops (1) and then the mirror goes up, the shutter fires (2) and then the shutter opens again for live view. I don't recall if the mirror has to drop and go back up for that last part.
07-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome

you might want to consider looking at this offer

Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, K-70,K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2 and more DSLRs) - PentaxForums.com

07-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure sure about the number of "clicks", but I do know that there are more noises when taking a photo using live view. In fact, the Canon I have makes the same kind of "double" sound as my K-3 did.
07-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, forgot to say "welcome to the forum". There's a lot of good, smart folks here who'll do their darndest to help you out.
07-12-2018, 05:50 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum!
You will find many helpful people here that can assist you with your camera questions.
07-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #8
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums. Check out the search function or even post a more detailed question in the beginners are and there will be assistance in short order.

07-13-2018, 01:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K-x does the same thing in live view. A little annoying but that is just the way it is.
07-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Think you may well have the answer to your question in the above replies... I'll just say welcome to the forum.
07-18-2018, 12:03 AM   #11
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi from Australia.
07-19-2018, 05:48 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!
Live View operations seem very slow to me as well, though it does have its purpose. When I'm doing tripod work I'll use the timer instead or in conjunction.
07-19-2018, 11:16 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I do not recall turning multi exposure on but I may have. I decided to ignore it until today when I went on an excursion this afternoon and started getting double exposures again when I took a picture that turned out fine but the next shot was exposed onto the first one. I checked for multi exposure and it was not on and the blue highlite was on single frame shooting. The next shot was Ok and the next double exp. again. I limped through the day erasing and reshooting the doubles as I went along. When I got home I still could not figure it out so I decided to reset. I took a few snaps afterwards and still had the double click but no double exposure so I assume I had something out of whack somewhere and the reset corrected it. I will just wait and see. I checked my Canon, Sony, and my Nikon bridge camera and the Canon does click twice (though not as loud) in live view, the Sony does not (but it is mirrorless, and the Nikon does not and it is not mirrorless. Thanks again for the replies. I do appreciate it.
07-20-2018, 05:50 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a problem last year where there was a delay between trigger press and exposure. I could not figure it out, thought maybe the heat was screwing something up. It was almost 100 degrees that day, but nope. I got home in the AC and the problem persisted. I did a factory reset on the camera, and somehow the problem resolved. It took probably 15 minutes to get all the settings back the way I liked, and I never figured out what the problem was.

I'm glad yours resolved as well, these cameras are complex computers after all.

The only mirrorless I have is a Pentax Q. It's very quiet after I turned off all the beeps and whatnot. I see the advantage, particularly for those mirrorless which are strong at video or burst shots like Panasonic. Still, there are distinct advantages to a conventional DSLR. One tool does not make a kit, after all!

Show us some pictures!
07-20-2018, 06:07 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 54bravo Quote
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I do not recall turning multi exposure on but I may have. I decided to ignore it until today when I went on an excursion this afternoon and started getting double exposures again when I took a picture that turned out fine but the next shot was exposed onto the first one. I checked for multi exposure and it was not on and the blue highlite was on single frame shooting. The next shot was Ok and the next double exp. again. I limped through the day erasing and reshooting the doubles as I went along. When I got home I still could not figure it out so I decided to reset. I took a few snaps afterwards and still had the double click but no double exposure so I assume I had something out of whack somewhere and the reset corrected it. I will just wait and see. I checked my Canon, Sony, and my Nikon bridge camera and the Canon does click twice (though not as loud) in live view, the Sony does not (but it is mirrorless, and the Nikon does not and it is not mirrorless. Thanks again for the replies. I do appreciate it.
FWIW, it looks like auto bracketing was on (although usually 3 shots are taken, but there may be a setting somewhere to just take two instead of the default). Anyway, glad you solved the issue.
« Ranking | Hello »