Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2018, 09:36 PM - 6 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Very happy K1 user

Hey Pentax people, The forum is a great place and I have been using it a lot since i laid my hands on a Pentax. I switched from Canon to Pentax 1,5 years ago. It changed my career (maybe even my life)
Whenever I pick up my good old 5D mkII I feel sorry for her. She has helped me out in so many occasions and everyone always thought she was great. But now I have Her. K1 gives me more love and satisfaction, she's like a dream and when you wake up, she's still there. Waiting to be touched, handled and worked on. People don't look at me anymore. They look at my camera and think nothing of her. They ignore her, they let you do your thing, anonymous. They won't steal her away or want to take her home. They miss out on the greatest thing under 2500 dollar. They don't know, but they think they should buy a Canon and soon they want to buy a Sony. Because their corporate pimps push them with marketing budget, fake reviews and non-users with a following on youtube.
But not my K1. She was not pimped to me. She called me from a dusty shelve in a run down shop somewhere in Holland. Covered in dust waiting to be touched. And as it goes with a first touch, it was spot on. I fell for her. Like a log. 'My life will change' I told my wife, who runs the budgets in our company. She accepted my new love and was allright with the change. There have not been regrets. One could even say that K1 gave me the opportunity to take shots in impossible conditions where the Canon totally refused and still create a stunning image. I was happy.
Until the dust settled. K1 was a clean lady but not able to keep herself up for long. Where MK2 kept herself clean on revival, K1 wasn't able to shake her dirt off. She refused to clean herself resulting into polluted views and dirt over her looks and images. Disappointment sank in, but the love stayed and even grew after I simply forgave her. I decided to help her out cleaning and we never spoke about it. She's still my no.1. Although her taller sister with bigger options is lurking in the distance glaring at me. I hope she won't call out my name. I do not yet want to part from K1 and end up calling out 645....

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Christoph Bij; 07-28-2018 at 11:28 PM.
07-21-2018, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Christoph Bij Quote
I fell for her. Like a log. 'My life will change' I told my wife
Welcome to the forum, I don't think Lady Kerrowdown would have been quite so understanding, had I said those words to her.
07-21-2018, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's what makes for a great relationship: a little help for your muse. Looks like she is taking care of you as well!
07-23-2018, 01:32 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, I don't think Lady Kerrowdown would have been quite so understanding, had I said those words to her.
She knows it’s only the love of sensor beauty. A mere Freudian relationship than anything else. But, alas, Lady Kerrowdown might surprise you when choosing the words, rightly.

Thanks for having me onboard!

---------- Post added 07-23-18 at 01:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
That's what makes for a great relationship: a little help for your muse. Looks like she is taking care of you as well!
Thank you! She does take care. As does my lovely wife 😉
And isn’t K1 a thing of rare beauty?

07-23-2018, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Yes, the K-1 is a think of beauty. To me it is a camera made by photographers.

Great images! Keep them coming.
07-23-2018, 02:23 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Welcome to the forum. Yes, the K-1 is a think of beauty. To me it is a camera made by photographers.

Great images! Keep them coming.
Thanks Twilhelm, for your kind words. It’s a lovely camera. And gives photography a different perspective.
07-27-2018, 06:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
she does! and a relationship like that is worth a K1.

07-27-2018, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice! Thanks! The K1 seems like such a flexible and powerful tool.

I think there's a phenomenon when you're very comfortable with a tool or equipment, it becomes a part of you. It's less noticeable because you're not paying it special attention. Look at guitars in the hands of a master, it fuses with the person.

I like the pancake primes because they're so unassuming, so unlike the massive zooms people see and get nervous around. Oh, it's just a cute little camera. They're some of the best glass ever made, IMHO, and are so easy to use I find myself barely looking at the camera when I'm using them.
07-27-2018, 10:33 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Very nice! Thanks! The K1 seems like such a flexible and powerful tool.

I think there's a phenomenon when you're very comfortable with a tool or equipment, it becomes a part of you. It's less noticeable because you're not paying it special attention. Look at guitars in the hands of a master, it fuses with the person.

I like the pancake primes because they're so unassuming, so unlike the massive zooms people see and get nervous around. Oh, it's just a cute little camera. They're some of the best glass ever made, IMHO, and are so easy to use I find myself barely looking at the camera when I'm using them.
You’re so right about the guitar thing! The camera has become an extension of the arm and brain at some stage. I never got the chance to fit a pancake. I will look those up! I do use older lenses. I was given an M42 Zeiss Tessar and attached it with the 5 dollar Pentax ring. We shot 2 campaigns with it. The client wasn’t too excited until they started sending out the material. It has this vintage modern look that everyone is after. So many options for K1!
Can you send me s link for the pancakes? That would be awesome! Thanks so much
07-28-2018, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #10

welcome to the forum!
07-28-2018, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #11

Excellent shots, welcome !
07-28-2018, 11:26 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rickxx Quote
welcome to the forum!
Tnx rickxxx!

---------- Post added 07-28-18 at 11:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mnj11 Quote
Excellent shots, welcome !
Tnx mnj11!
07-29-2018, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Christoph Bij Quote
You’re so right about the guitar thing! The camera has become an extension of the arm and brain at some stage. I never got the chance to fit a pancake. I will look those up! I do use older lenses. I was given an M42 Zeiss Tessar and attached it with the 5 dollar Pentax ring. We shot 2 campaigns with it. The client wasn’t too excited until they started sending out the material. It has this vintage modern look that everyone is after. So many options for K1!
Can you send me s link for the pancakes? That would be awesome! Thanks so much
They are the 21mm, 40mm, and 70mm lenses. The 40mm has an older M40 version as well. That has an aperture ring, so can be used on older film bodies. DA lenses require auto aperture control.

SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Watch for them used, they show up pretty frequently.
07-29-2018, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum.
Beautiful photos!
07-29-2018, 11:26 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
They are the 21mm, 40mm, and 70mm lenses. The 40mm has an older M40 version as well. That has an aperture ring, so can be used on older film bodies. DA lenses require auto aperture control.

SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Watch for them used, they show up pretty frequently.
You could also look for the manual Pentax-m 40mm which I think is full frame. I have the Pentax M 40 and it is nice, I also have the 21mm limited which is stunning, but you would possibly have to use it in crop mode to stop vignetting. Another one to look for is the smc da 40mm f2.8 xs which looks more like a cap than a lens. It is funky, cheaper than the 40mm ltd and rated slightly higher