Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2018, 06:25 AM   #1

An intro and my K10d impulse buy (which has me worrying).

Hi fellow Pentaxians,

My name's Stuart and I've been shooting Pentax cameras since my Grandfather bought me a Espio 738 when I was about 8. Since then I've used a number of film SLRs and particularly love the ME Super (hope it has fans on here). In all this time I've stayed away from digital because, for whatever reason, I never felt great about the pictures. Even if they were technically good, they didn't inspire me. However, (and maybe it's all this hot weather talking) but I found a cheap K10d and it arrives on Wednesday. I've probably lost my mind buying a 12 year old digital camera but there was something about the pictures I saw online that had a completely different vibe to them. Before I knew it, I'd paid for it. I've probably gone mad but oh well

I'm used to using old gear but this one scares me a bit.

Wish me luck!

07-23-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums, Stuart, from another UK member

I'm a big fan of the K10D. I have two Samsung GX-10 bodies, which are more or less identical to the K10D - just branded differently, and with a slightly different body shape and user interface. The internals, including the all-important sensor, are exactly the same. Of all my cameras, including the K-3II which is my most up-to-date, the GX-10s are my favourites... and there's a healthy K10D / GX-10 following here on these forums.

So long as the camera you've bought is in full working order, you're going to have a ball with it
07-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Welcome to the forums, Stuart, from another UK member

I'm a big fan of the K10D. I have two Samsung GX-10 bodies, which are more or less identical to the K10D - just branded differently, and with a slightly different body shape and user interface. The internals, including the all-important sensor, are exactly the same. Of all my cameras, including the K-3II which is my most up-to-date, the GX-10s are my favourites... and there's a healthy K10D / GX-10 following here on these forums.

So long as the camera you've bought is in full working order, you're going to have a ball with it
Thanks. I really appreciate that. From my reading it seems that keeping the iso low and shooting in good light will produce really nice results.
07-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stuartcarden83 Quote
Thanks. I really appreciate that. From my reading it seems that keeping the iso low and shooting in good light will produce really nice results.
You're welcome

I think most folks would recommend you stick to ISO 400 and below, but I have no problem shooting mine up to ISO 800. Even 1600 is usable in certain circumstances, but shadows can show some banding, so I tend to avoid it if at all possible...

07-23-2018, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stuartcarden83 Quote
Before I knew it, I'd paid for it
Welcome to the forum, you do realise that's the start of the slippery slope don't you.
07-23-2018, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome and congrats on your K10D purchase! Mike is correct - there's quite a few fans here on PF - take a look here and post a few photos when you can: The K10D Club! - PentaxForums.com
07-23-2018, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

A friend of the K10D is a friend of mine

Welcome and congratulations. A lot of people don't understand and dismiss the love some of us have for those old CCD sensors, but don't listen to them There's more to photography than high ISOs... why do we have fast optics like the f/1.4 lenses anyway
07-23-2018, 02:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Hi Stuart. You've chosen a great camera to make the transition from film to digital a bit less painful. Many of us in the K10D club are old school film shooters who use this classic CCD camera because of the film-like results it can give you. So you can be sure that you're among friends here.

07-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! The K10 D is a great camera and probably the best of the ccd sensors. It’s very robust, I’ve had mine since shortly after it was introduced. If it’s been taken care of, you’ll see many more years of service!

Be sure to check out the K10D club on here. There’s some great photos there.
07-23-2018, 02:59 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome

just in case you might wonder this chart shows how your camera of choice will act with the various Pentax lens series

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

your K 10D is on line 4
07-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome. I just received my k10d last week, and I have a k3ii and some film cameras. So your decision makes total sense to me
07-23-2018, 04:07 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K10D is a great camera. I use the K1 now but wont sell the 10. One thing you must be aware of if you intend to use any "K" or M series lenses with the K10D. You can use "stop-down metering in Manual exposure mode, but you will get a progressive overexposure as you stop down the aperture. If you have a hand held light meter, or are happy to chimp the histogram to get correct exposure you will still get great results, but takes a bit more effort.

This was due to a new type of focussing screen introduced with the K10d model and continued for quite some time with subsequent models.
07-24-2018, 08:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
K10D is a great camera. I use the K1 now but wont sell the 10. One thing you must be aware of if you intend to use any "K" or M series lenses with the K10D. You can use "stop-down metering in Manual exposure mode, but you will get a progressive overexposure as you stop down the aperture. If you have a hand held light meter, or are happy to chimp the histogram to get correct exposure you will still get great results, but takes a bit more effort.

This was due to a new type of focussing screen introduced with the K10d model and continued for quite some time with subsequent models.
With most non-A lenses, if I'm shooting at f8, I'll just meter at f/5.6 and switch over to f8. It usually works like a charm
07-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Staying with film when the world is going digital? I was there once. best thing about digital is now you have the ability to take shots over and over and see instantly what you did. No film to develop, no waiting, no money spent on that. Its great. Get to know your camera, the process of exposure and learn and grow and be the camera whisperer that seems to know what settings to use instantly. Have fun, you are just getting started now.
« PENTAX k5 | Hello! »