Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2018, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #1

I had a Pentax, now looking for another one

Hi pentaxforum, I had a Pentax K20D like 8 years ago when I was just starting enjoying photography. I sold it somehow and bought a nikon d7000 (which I found to be beter than my k20d, I thought so) And I must say that I really don't like that decision. I haven't noticed any advantages for a guy like me who just shoots bugs and flowers, and with my Pentax I had alot of vintage lenses, I use them now ofcourse with the adapter, but that's not the same, I did really like sensor stabilization (don't remember exact how it was called) on pentax, was working very good on vintage lenses.

Now I want to buy a new camera as a present for me, I came to a decision to get a Pentax, but I am not really into nowadays cameras. What should I get? A DSLR or a Mirrorless? These mirrorless cameras look so cute but have no idea how they will perform. I am not pro and not making money out of photos, just a hobby in whci hI want to invest a bit.

An old image shooted with K20D, I see it's a tradition for newmember to do so:

---------- Post added 07-23-18 at 08:55 AM ----------

have no idea how to change title, it is supposed to be "now looking for another one"

Attached Images

07-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

may I suggest that you start:

under " Cameras " you will find " in depth reviews " and user reviews of the Pentax camera bodies

Pentax Digital Cameras and Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

you will also find a " tool " which allows you to do side by side comparisons

Pentax K-1 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

plenty of members of the forum will be eager to give your their opinion on how to spend your money

you may also want to qualify for and enter the contest for a K 1 camera:

To recap:
The community must reach 40,000 posts each month
At that point, 4 threads will be created 6 hours apart, and the first 75 posters in each will get a raffle entry
Raffle participants must have at least 10 forum posts in the month of the raffle
The winner is drawn at random, and we will ship a K-1 to the winner
If the community reaches 55,000 by the end of the month, the prize gets upgraded to a K-1 II

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/events/pentax-k-1-triple-giveaway-summ...#ixzz5M5uBfd66

you need to post 9 more to qualify
07-23-2018, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

There are plenty of options... What is your budget ? What lenses do you have ?
07-23-2018, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by artouiros Quote
. . . have no idea how to change title, it is supposed to be "now looking for another one"
try editing and then choose " go advanced "

I think that lets you modify the title

07-23-2018, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

these charts might be helpful

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
07-23-2018, 09:35 AM   #6

Original Poster
> There are plenty of options... What is your budget ? What lenses do you have ?

My budget is like ~800eur for body, so I did a bit of research and I can fit in this budget with a K-70 or KP, which I really didn't understand - is KP better than K-70 or it's just newer series with some techy new stuff? If talking about modern lenses, for K-mount I have a sigma 17-70 and and that's all, if talkin about vintage ones I have a Takumar SMC 135mm, a zenitar 16mm & Sirius MC 28mm
07-23-2018, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
actually I bought these pentax lenses when I already had nikon, just found a good deal and why not, also have some m42 vintage lenses, I really like vintages lenses

07-23-2018, 09:57 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I sent a message to a moderator who should be able to help you fix the title.

As for current bodies - the K-70 is the best choice for jumping back in if you want new. If used will work, then give us a budget and we will give you some ideas. The K-30 and K-50 are nearly the same camera as one another with different styling. The K-20D is a higher end body, the K-7 and then the K-5, K-5ii/K-5iis, K-3, and K-3ii all followed it successively. The K-70 is 24mp and has some features that you will not find in those higher end bodies until you get to the K-3ii - in fact it may outperform even that camera in overall image capabilities. The low end K-70 is very capable. It lacks an option for a battery grip, has only 1 card slot vs. 2 in the K-3 series. It has an onboard flash which the K-3ii lacks. It does not have the super quiet and long life shutter of the K-3ii series.

K-1 is also an option if you want to shoot legacy lenses in the same view they had on film - it is a full frame and expensive but the only real option if you want a 35mm lens to look like it did on 35mm film. The rest will crop the image as the K-20d did so there is no problem using them, just pointing out the possible options.
07-23-2018, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you liked the K20D, definitely look at the K-3 or K-3 II, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-23-2018, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums.

I would recommend a dslr like the K-3 II if you are interested in aps-c, or if you wait you may want to get its newer successor. The name of the image stabilization in the Pentax cameras is "Shake Reduction" which is contained in the camera itself. I had a K-20D also when I got my first dslr. It performed well for its time, but the newer models are of course advanced in technology and performance. If you are interested in the full frame type shooting, the K-1 or K-1 II are available to choose from. The K-1 II being the newest model.

Good luck with your decision.
07-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you liked the K20D, definitely look at the K-3 or K-3 II, IMO.
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I would recommend a dslr like the K-3 II if you are interested in aps-c
I found some K-3 II on ebay for around 800$ new, I guess this could be the one, but as I found it's ehm old? K-70 is the same price on ebay and as I understood in the flagman mid range now?
07-23-2018, 10:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

>
My budget is like ~800eur for body, so I did a bit of research and I can fit in this budget with a K-70 or KP, which I really didn't understand - is KP better than K-70 or it's just newer series with some techy new stuff?
Both are good cameras and the KP is definetely higher end than the K-70. There are some more techy stuff on the KP, the most significant probably being the significantly better AF. The main difference, IMHO, is the design and finish. But these are really a matter of personnal preferences... The question is then do you need the things the KP offers over the K-70 ? For some people, these are worth paying more while for others the K-70 will do just fine. Both willbe a huge upgrade featurewise from the K20D and a significant one from the D7000.

Your lenses will work equally fine with both camera. However, the K-70 will allow you to buy an additional lens or accessory (like a flash) for the same budget. But the
07-23-2018, 10:58 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I found some K-3 II on ebay for around 800$ new, I guess this could be the one, but as I found it's ehm old? K-70 is the same price on ebay and as I understood in the flagman mid range now?
" old " only as in not in production any more

you may still be able to find some new in box.

they stopped production last year

a new one in the K 3 series is expected to be produced but no idea when

The K-3 line will continue! - Page 49 - PentaxForums.com
07-23-2018, 10:58 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-70 is going to give better image quality from what I am reading and hearing from those who own both - however it will not be as full featured and will not be as awesome in some other ways. First the battery is smaller. Second there is no optional grip. Third there is only one SD slot not two. There is a way to compare cameras in the Forum, go under cameras and use the comparison tool. Select a group that contains one of the two cameras and then remove others and add the one missing. You can get a feature by feature breakdown.

The K-70 is not a camera I have used. I currently own a K-3. You can get a K-3 used for under $500 these days. The K-3ii does not have a flash, but does have the built in GPS. It also has the ability to do pixel shift high res pictures (which gives high color and detail accuracy to still subjects (moving subjects are no longer prohibited but they use only 1 of the 4 frames for their detail and may or may not turn out as expected).

You would not regret buying the K-3, or the K-70, or the K-3ii. I personally skipped the K-3ii and bought the older K-3 when I made my purchase because a built in flash was important to me. The K-70 wasn't out then.

The K-P is another choice - it has better low light (high ISO) performance than any APSC Pentax and has a grip option but it is not quite the successor to the K-3ii - (smaller buffer, one slot for SD, different ergonomics, smaller battery in camera - though the grip uses the larger one).
07-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely consider the K-3II as it has a much better build quality than the K-70 also the shutter life is substantially longer than the k-70 or the KP. The K-3 will give you many years of great photos.

Larry