Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2018, 10:38 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lablabu Quote
Thanks, I intend to enter the raffle. I'll be keeping an eye out for when the threads appear...
Adam posted a test thread for tomorrow - it isn't to win just to see how the system works. You should use it for practice. July Giveaway: Raffle Test Thread, 8pm UTC, July 28 - PentaxForums.com

07-30-2018, 10:55 AM   #32

Photos: Albums
Would consider a K-S2 with HD 35mm f2.8 Macro as a light kit, otherwise if budget permits it, a K-1 with the DFA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR.
08-01-2018, 06:25 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're interested in insect and flower macro in the field instead of a controlled studio setting, don't get mirrorless. IMHO, the speed with which you can use a traditional DSLR is vastly superior. If you're going to use interesting filters etc, a mirrorless might have advantages. Certainly with UV or IR photography it does.

You have plenty of good lens choices in the 100mm range from several suppliers. Pair that with a newer body without the anti-aliasing filter and you've got a macro monster. The K3II I use is fantastic for the purpose. Last year I started shooting with a ring light and that's been a big improvement as well. Have a look at my Flickr albums if you want to see what I'm doing.
08-01-2018, 06:34 AM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lablabu Quote
Thanks, I intend to enter the raffle. I'll be keeping an eye out for when the threads appear...
Adam has listed the new rules for the August contest

including a method where you don't compete for a raffle spot

To summarize changes for this month:
Automatic raffle qualification if you make 180 or more posts in August
Automatic raffle qualification* for our June and July top posters
Threshold for K-1 II decreased to 51,000
Threshold for K-1 increased to 45,000 (this was exceeded in both June and July)
Raffle thread size increased to 80 entries
Total number of raffle threads decreased to 3, all 8 hours apart

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Summer 2018 Giveaway - August Announcements - PentaxForums.com

for macro, I like my SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm Macro

yes it is not WR but the optics of the newest lens the WR are the same as the optics for earlier versions:

" The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades. "

Read more at: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

the longer focal length makes it very good for using it in the field for 1:1 capture

Pentax K-1 Summer 2018 Giveaway - August Announcements - PentaxForums.com