Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2018, 12:21 PM   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, most of the later Pentax bodies are pretty stunning, enjoy which ever one you choose.

07-23-2018, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by artouiros Quote
I found some K-3 II on ebay for around 800$ new, I guess this could be the one, but as I found it's ehm old? K-70 is the same price on ebay and as I understood in the flagman mid range now?
Both cameras are current, but the K-3 II is outgoing, with a replacement expected (but not confirmed) in the coming months. It's got better durability and ergonomics than the K-70 (refer to our reviews for details).

Both cameras are light years ahead of the K20D, so it's hard to go wrong. Just depends on your priorities and needs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-23-2018, 08:42 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back to your original post, the only mirrorless option is the long-discontinued K-01. It's a cool camera if you can find one second hand, but the lack of a viewfinder can be irksome.

I think a more recent DSLR would be the best option. The KP is the top of the pops at the moment; despite lacking some flagship features its image quality is top notch, and the build and form factor are very sexy IMHO. Perfect for smallish vintage primes. If the price is too high, A K-70 would be next.
07-23-2018, 09:47 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For macro photography, having a tilting screen can be extremely helpful. Even if your knees aren't as bad as mine (too much soccer as a kid), being able to see what you'll get without putting your belly in the mud is great. One of the reasons I went with the KP was that it's stabilization was a bit better than the K3, k3ii, or K-70 - it and the K-1 are the first Pentax cameras with 5 axis stabilization. For macro work, this could be very helpful. The K-70's articulating screen is multi axis, whereas the KP only goes up and down, not side to side. So depending on your priorities, one may be better than another. If, for example, you use a tripod most of the time, then stabilization isn't that important. But if you like to use extension tubes handheld, then better stabilization may be a priority.

Really as a advanced amateur, any of the Pentax bodies from the K5iis to current (maybe not the KS-1) would be great. Good luck with your decision!

07-23-2018, 11:17 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a K-3 for macro and find it a very effective tool - the onboard flash just wins out over the K-3ii for that use imo - a good used one (no longer available new) should be well within budget.
07-24-2018, 03:11 AM   #21

welcome to the forum! a lot of good choices out there. in digital, i have a k3 and k5 that serve me well. check the reviews of various models and i'm sure you'll find something you like.
07-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I found some K-3 II on ebay for around 800$ new, I guess this could be the one, but as I found it's ehm old? K-70 is the same price on ebay and as I understood in the flagman mid range now?
The K-3 II is the present aps-c flagship model, and its features are abundant and advanced. Its build including the weather resistance is really sturdy. It also includes a top of body lcd screen that enables ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture, and EV settings to be viewed. I have used it for wildlife, sports, birds in flight, and landscape, and the images are excellent. You definitely would not be disappointed if you got one, but like I said, if you don't need something right away, you may want to wait for the K-3 II successor for any new features or improvements,

Below is an internet address to the K-3 II offer at Adorama.

https://www.adorama.com/ipxk32.html

Last edited by C_Jones; 07-24-2018 at 09:56 AM.
07-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums!

We still don't know what lenses you have. Will you have to buy new lenses as well, or do you still have the ones you had with the K20D?

If you do need lenses, for flowers and bugs, it's hard to beat the Pentax DFA 100mm f/2.8 Macro. That, plus a more generic lens like the DA 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 should keep you a happy shooter.
07-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums!

I have the K3 and K50, K3's auto focus accuracy is much better than the K50 (in my opinion). Use a top quality glass with K3 and it will keep you smiling for a long time. Low light noise is what I am not a fan of with respect to K3. But a noise reduction software can fix it.

I would go with KP which has advanced focusing and features which should keep you occupied for a long time.

my 2 cents.
07-25-2018, 07:08 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
... a guy like me who just shoots bugs and flowers
When I recently upgraded from a K10D, I chose the KP over the K-70 mainly because low light performance was very important to me. I was shooting a lot in museums and churches where flash is frowned upon. The K-70 is no slouch in low light though, but I figure the KP has a 2-3 stop effective advantage due to higher ISO and better shake reduction.

But I'm not you and it seems that the better low light performance will not be a big deal for you. Only you can tell if the price difference is worth it, or if maybe you'd be better off spending the difference on glass to shoot what you like.

Using older manual lenses appears important to you. Speaking for the KP only, it meters and calculates shutter speed perfectly when using my Takumar SMC 50mm. With my K10D, I needed to make EV adjustments for various apertures. Maybe others can chime in on the K-70's metering with manual lenses.

The good news is that this is not a pass/fail decision: any choice will be light years ahead of your last DSLRs.

Good luck and happy shooting.
07-25-2018, 07:43 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! If you're replacing a D7000 I would recommend a K-3 or K-3 II. You might find a good used one in The Photographer's Marketplace. Just my two cents.
07-27-2018, 03:49 AM   #27

Welcome to the family, neighbor! I would say - K3-II - is the best option in your situation! If your would like to get a look on one - let me know)
07-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #28

I too am looking at a new pentax body. My last DSLR was the k30 and I was quite happy with it. It has been a few years since it was stolen, but I'm feeling the urge to reinvest in photography now. This thread has been helpful -- thanks everyone.
07-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lablabu Quote
I too am looking at a new pentax body. My last DSLR was the k30 and I was quite happy with it. It has been a few years since it was stolen, but I'm feeling the urge to reinvest in photography now. This thread has been helpful -- thanks everyone.
well

since you have the required minimum 10 posts this month

you can join the crowd who will be trying to gain a raffle spot

and then perhaps you can be the winner of the K 1 [ or K 1 II ] that may be given out this month

To recap:

The community must reach 40,000 posts each month
At that point, 4 threads will be created 6 hours apart, and the first 75 posters in each will get a raffle entry
Raffle participants must have at least 10 forum posts in the month of the raffle
The winner is drawn at random, and we will ship a K-1 to the winner
If the community reaches 55,000 by the end of the month, the prize gets upgraded to a K-1 II

There have been some questions regarding the timing of the raffle threads. The raffle threads will go live approximately 1 full day after we reach 40,000 posts, at the times specified above. There will be a test raffle thread several hours earlier so we can ensure that the system is correctly enforcing the contest rules, and running smoothly.

At the current rate it looks like the raffle will happen on July 29th or 30th.

If at the time the winner is drawn, the post count looks like it will reach 55,000 by the end of the July giveaway period, the prize will be upgraded to a K-1 II. Based on the current average posting rate, this does not appear likely.

Adam

Read more at: K-1 Giveaway Announcements - PentaxForums.com

" There have been some questions regarding the raffle thread timing- I have answered them in the sticky.

Given the rate of interest, I'm thinking that for August, we will lower the K-1 II post count requirement, while increasing the K-1 requirement in order to narrow the gap and encourage that final push. Also, all of our June and July top posters will automatically be entered in the raffle. "

July Prediction Page.....what is your guess as to what the July Count will be? - PentaxForums.com

Read more at: why I won't buy a k3 (Warning: Satire Thread) - PentaxForums.com
Read more at: Pentax K-1 Triple Giveaway: Summer 2018 - Giveaways and Events | PentaxForums.com
07-27-2018, 01:41 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
well

since you have the required minimum 10 posts this month

you can join the crowd who will be trying to gain a raffle spot

and then perhaps you can be the winner of the K 1 [ or K 1 II ] that may be given out this month

To recap:

The community must reach 40,000 posts each month
At that point, 4 threads will be created 6 hours apart, and the first 75 posters in each will get a raffle entry
Raffle participants must have at least 10 forum posts in the month of the raffle
The winner is drawn at random, and we will ship a K-1 to the winner
If the community reaches 55,000 by the end of the month, the prize gets upgraded to a K-1 II

There have been some questions regarding the timing of the raffle threads. The raffle threads will go live approximately 1 full day after we reach 40,000 posts, at the times specified above. There will be a test raffle thread several hours earlier so we can ensure that the system is correctly enforcing the contest rules, and running smoothly.

At the current rate it looks like the raffle will happen on July 29th or 30th.

If at the time the winner is drawn, the post count looks like it will reach 55,000 by the end of the July giveaway period, the prize will be upgraded to a K-1 II. Based on the current average posting rate, this does not appear likely.

Adam

Read more at: K-1 Giveaway Announcements - PentaxForums.com

" There have been some questions regarding the raffle thread timing- I have answered them in the sticky.

Given the rate of interest, I'm thinking that for August, we will lower the K-1 II post count requirement, while increasing the K-1 requirement in order to narrow the gap and encourage that final push. Also, all of our June and July top posters will automatically be entered in the raffle. "

July Prediction Page.....what is your guess as to what the July Count will be? - PentaxForums.com

Read more at: why I won't buy a k3 (Warning: Satire Thread) - PentaxForums.com
Read more at: Pentax K-1 Triple Giveaway: Summer 2018 - Giveaways and Events | PentaxForums.com
Thanks, I intend to enter the raffle. I'll be keeping an eye out for when the threads appear...