Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2018, 04:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What are the advantages of a K-1 vs a K-50?

Is there anything other than MP's that is of significant difference?

07-29-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a few generations newer, for one thing. Focus speed/motors/engine will all be far better. It has two card slots, a processor which can drive them, and many other improvements. The K50 is a mid-range unit, the K5 was its flagship series. Since then, a lot has changed. K1 has 14bit recording, not 12. You can look at the side-by-side comparisons yourself.

The K50 is good, my older K5 is good, I still use it. The K3II is better in every way than the K5. Not to say the K5 doesn't have some slight singular advantages, mostly because of the Sony 16MP sensor which has a lovely film-like rendering. The K3II and K1 have no AA filter, resolution is fantastic.

Of course, you will pay for all these differences.
07-29-2018, 05:14 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

everything that the K-50 does or has, the K-1 (and now the 2nd generation) is several years beyond in advances... not to mention just the jump in crop vs full frame sensor...
07-29-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ginnyfoos Quote
The K-1 is several generations newer, and as such has newer tech across the board. The biggest improvement will be in terms of image quality, followed by the user interface, durability, and focusing. All of these things are covered in great detail in our review, so I recommend that you use that as a starting point and follow up with any additional questions on the forum:
Pentax K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

One notable difference is the shutter life, which is 300k on the Pentax K-1- the highest of any Pentax to date. The K-50 does not carry an official durability rating.

Also, note that the K-1 uses the full frame format, which carries with it a set of inherent advantages (more resolution, better for wide-angle, less noise) and drawbacks (larger, more expensive, heavier).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-29-2018, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #5

Although K-1 has advantages I have never been truly disappointed by my K-50
07-29-2018, 07:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The K-1 is significantly more expensive than the K-50.
07-29-2018, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #7
mee
Pentaxian

I'm surprised at the responses you're getting are not really feeding you what you need to know.

Mainly that these are two totally different types of cameras. K-50 uses an APS-C sized sensor while the K-1 uses a much larger sensor ('full frame'). This means that many of your K-50 lenses may not function fully with the K-1 (in terms of the lens covering the entire frame the sensor captures).

It isn't just a megapixels/resolution difference but a physical increase in the sensor's surface space in the K-1. You'll likely need new lenses if you only have DA lenses with your K-50 if you get a K-1.

Next thing is depth of field will be 1 stop more shallow on K-1 than with your K-50. So f/4 on K-50 is like f/5.6 on K-1 or (looking at it from the other direction) f/4 on K-1 is similar f/2.8 on K-50 in terms of depth of field. If you don't understand this, this just means you'll get more subject isolation on the K-1 than you will with the K-50 at the same aperture value.

Field of view will be different too. So to get the same field of view your 50mm lens gets on the K-50, you'll need to get a 75mm lens on the K-1. 28mm on the K-1 is like 18mm on the K-50 and 18mm on K-1 is like 12mm on K-50.

It isn't just 36 MP versus 16 MP. I'd also say the K-1 is noticeably heavier and larger than the K-50. It does have an improved AF system, 14-bit RAW output, an improved metering system, and a tilt-able screen which can be handy.
07-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-1 is a lot better - and K-1 MK II has all the features of both combined.

07-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't think you will notice a huge increase in image quality, unless you often shoot at high ISO, print very large, or have a very high end monitor.
07-29-2018, 11:07 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I don't think you will notice a huge increase in image quality, unless you often shoot at high ISO, print very large, or have a very high end monitor.
That's what I think too!
07-29-2018, 11:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-1 is several generations newer, and as such has newer tech across the board. The biggest improvement will be in terms of image quality, followed by the user interface, durability, and focusing. All of these things are covered in great detail in our review, so I recommend that you use that as a starting point and follow up with any additional questions on the forum:
Pentax K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

One notable difference is the shutter life, which is 300k on the Pentax K-1- the highest of any Pentax to date. The K-50 does not carry an official durability rating.

Also, note that the K-1 uses the full frame format, which carries with it a set of inherent advantages (more resolution, better for wide-angle, less noise) and drawbacks (larger, more expensive, heavier).
this is the major differences and advantages ... please make that as your buy point
significant difference ?? ofcourse
07-30-2018, 03:17 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In general, whatever level you are shooting at now, you will probably continue to shoot at if you upgrade your camera.

Just touching on the differences between crop and full frame, you find that the viewfinder is better on full frame, it is capable of shallower depth of view, better high iso performance, better dynamic range at a given iso, and there are more options from a wide angle stand point.

From a K-1 standpoint, build is better, pixel shift, astro tracer GPS are in camera, auto focus is better, and there are more megapixels. Most everything is better, in fact, except price (of course) and frame rates. I would also mention that if you shoot in crop mode on the K-1 you will get roughly the same number of megapixels as you have on the K50.

As I said at the beginning, the camera may be better, but odds are your pictures will probably look about the same, just maybe with a little less noise and more resolution (that isn't necessarily a negative depending on your skill level).
07-30-2018, 07:30 AM   #13

Better high ISO and more dynamic range.
07-30-2018, 12:18 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

What are the advantages of a K-1 vs a K-50?
I think a lot depends on what your want or expect from your photography...

In the interim you could always go here and compare the two side by side for technical specs.

Pentax K-1 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
07-30-2018, 11:07 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm surprised at the responses you're getting are not really feeding you what you need to know.

Mainly that these are two totally different types of cameras. K-50 uses an APS-C sized sensor while the K-1 uses a much larger sensor ('full frame'). This means that many of your K-50 lenses may not function fully with the K-1 (in terms of the lens covering the entire frame the sensor captures).

It isn't just a megapixels/resolution difference but a physical increase in the sensor's surface space in the K-1. You'll likely need new lenses if you only have DA lenses with your K-50 if you get a K-1.

Next thing is depth of field will be 1 stop more shallow on K-1 than with your K-50. So f/4 on K-50 is like f/5.6 on K-1 or (looking at it from the other direction) f/4 on K-1 is similar f/2.8 on K-50 in terms of depth of field. If you don't understand this, this just means you'll get more subject isolation on the K-1 than you will with the K-50 at the same aperture value.

Field of view will be different too. So to get the same field of view your 50mm lens gets on the K-50, you'll need to get a 75mm lens on the K-1. 28mm on the K-1 is like 18mm on the K-50 and 18mm on K-1 is like 12mm on K-50.

It isn't just 36 MP versus 16 MP. I'd also say the K-1 is noticeably heavier and larger than the K-50. It does have an improved AF system, 14-bit RAW output, an improved metering system, and a tilt-able screen which can be handy.
Thank you to all. A special shout out @mee, that is the technical information that they don't include in the product pages Very helpful!!!!