Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #1

K-1 Mii Manual mode has 1/3 of the required information to make an exposure

Hello. I just joined the list having just bought my first digital camera. I was hoping I could simply use my K-1 Mark II in the manual metering mode I am used to for film: setting the f-stop on the lens (for maximal depth of field or MTF) and adjusting the shutter speed to get proper exposure followed by a quick bracketing adjustment or two. Instead the viewfinder shows a shutter speed that changes when I move the front e-dial but only shows "F--" rather than the F-stop set on the lens and no comb of exposure values indicating one has chosen the correct shutter speed when the central mark of the comb is illuminated (a digital floating needle), such as my MZ-S film camera has. Does "manual" now mean "we provide 30% of the required information to make an exposure"? Why bother to put the M mark on the dial in that case? Or is there some menu setting I can make to obtain an F-stop indicator and an exposure comb on the M setting? Yes, I can shoot in Av mode and use the exposure override button plus the e-dial but that is an excessive number of motions in place of a simple flick of the finger.

My second question is with Digital Camera Utility 5 on a mac OSX 12.6. When I select one or more DNG files and go to the Tools menu to save a shooting information csv file, in the save window I get "Error, Failed to save shooting information list." Is there a fix for that?

Thanks, Jack

08-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by straton Quote
Hello. I just joined the list having just bought my first digital camera. I was hoping I could simply use my K-1 Mark II in the manual metering mode I am used to for film: setting the f-stop on the lens (for maximal depth of field or MTF) and adjusting the shutter speed to get proper exposure followed by a quick bracketing adjustment or two. Instead the viewfinder shows a shutter speed that changes when I move the front e-dial but only shows "F--" rather than the F-stop set on the lens and no comb of exposure values indicating one has chosen the correct shutter speed when the central mark of the comb is illuminated (a digital floating needle), such as my MZ-S film camera has. Does "manual" now mean "we provide 30% of the required information to make an exposure"? Why bother to put the M mark on the dial in that case? Or is there some menu setting I can make to obtain an F-stop indicator and an exposure comb on the M setting? Yes, I can shoot in Av mode and use the exposure override button plus the e-dial but that is an excessive number of motions in place of a simple flick of the finger.

My second question is with Digital Camera Utility 5 on a mac OSX 12.6. When I select one or more DNG files and go to the Tools menu to save a shooting information csv file, in the save window I get "Error, Failed to save shooting information list." Is there a fix for that?

Thanks, Jack
DSLRs don't have the hardware to sense the current aperture setting. So, set the aperture ring to "A" and use the e-dial on the camera to set the aperture.

If there is no "A" setting, you can still shoot manually, but you have to stop-down meter if you want the camera to set the shutter speed and/or give you an exposure reading. Things will feel different than say, on a K1000.

Make sure you are in M mode in any case, then follow these steps to meter:
How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This may be of help: Manual Metering on Pentax DSLRs with Manual and Automatic Lenses - PentaxForums.com

You may also find this useful: Features5 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING Scroll down to "Hyper Program and Hyper Manual"

If you're using old screw-mount lenses, see this: How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

Lastly, you may also want to look at this article: Pentax Green Button Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Can't help with DCU on Mac, sorry.
08-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It might be easier for you to use something like exiftool, which can read all Pentax metadata.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-03-2018, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

That kind of like saying I just bought an airplane, I was hoping to use the same controls I use in my car.

"Learn how to use your camera." would be my advice.

Start with the histogram, use it and the EV button to correct your exposure. Unilke film, you can see the exact results of your exposure seconds after taking it and correct on the spot. The reason a DSLR doesn't work like a film camera, is no one in their right mind would use one that way. There has been progress. It costs next to nothing to make an expose. Different media requires different skills.

The fact that you used film cameras in no way implies you know how to make the best use of digital cameras. The good thing is there are many of us old geezers on the forum who have been through this process. A better approach is tell us exactly what you are doing. There will be many who did what you used to do, who will tell you how they do it now. And you'll probably get enough suggestions to pick and choose the method that best suits your mindset. But the attitude, "I want to use my digital camera just like I used my film camera." probably needs to change. I taught 15 years of HS photography with K-1000s. Digital is easier, more efficient, and let's you correct on the fly. There really is no comparison in terms of ease of use. Why limit yourself?

Last edited by normhead; 08-04-2018 at 11:58 AM.
08-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Listen to normhead. Digital is a different world. You will soon see how it works and be enjoying the special abilities of your camera. You are unlikely to be disappointed.
08-04-2018, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the links, Adam & Mike. I never would have guessed that the act of stopping down the lens would make a light meter magically appear in M mode. (The manual mentions nothing on this.) The exiftool suggestion was also helpful. Followup readers might like to know (what it took quite a while to dig out) how to add the lens name to the common listing in Terminal: exiftool -common -csv -LensID [dir_name] > file.txt . Jack
08-05-2018, 12:48 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Got here late as usual, welcome to the forum and Pentax photography.

08-05-2018, 01:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks for the links, Adam & Mike. I never would have guessed that the act of stopping down the lens would make a light meter magically appear in M mode. (The manual mentions nothing on this.)
It is hidden away on page 111 of the manual. I am not surprised you didn't find it.

08-05-2018, 02:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum and good luck shooting!
08-17-2018, 09:33 PM   #11

Welcome! It was a learning curve to go from my K1000 to DSLR but it can do soooo much more, faster and with instant feedback. I do still like to shoot through the viewfinder and only peek (chimp) at what I banged out every once in a while to ensure I am on the right track. LR or PS can fix a lot of exposure issues if you shoot RAW. Focus and composition are still key so I let the camera handle the exposure stuff (within limits of course) while I work on those. I have found the viewfinders on K50 and K3 to be much harder to manual focus than a K1000 split screen but autofocus works very well if you set the focus points to match your need and test the lens for front/back focus and correct (see forums for info on that process). Enjoy the camera and all you will be able to do with it.
08-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #12
Ooh! Shiney! Me Want!
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the links, Adam & Mike. I never would have guessed that the act of stopping down the lens would make a light meter magically appear in M mode. (The manual mentions nothing on this.) The exiftool suggestion was also helpful. Followup readers might like to know (what it took quite a while to dig out) how to add the lens name to the common listing in Terminal: exiftool -common -csv -LensID [dir_name] > file.txt . Jack
Hi! Once you know, it’s a cool feature though. I use mostly manual lenses without contacts. I prefer to meter in M with the stop down / DoF Preview lever instead of Green Button to turn on the VF Meter.

.:

Last edited by monochrome; 08-17-2018 at 09:58 PM.
08-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks like your question is answered now so all I can add is...welcome to the forum!
08-28-2018, 12:43 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum