Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2018, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #1

New KP user

Hello! I just recently upgraded my Kx to a Kp last week! I am still new to photography, I used my Kx often but wanted something more professional as I am looking to up my photography game, and using it for my daughters gymnastics- would love some ideas for lenses good for indoor sports (I know, I know, Pentax doesnít do sports..... &#128518 thanks! Here are a couple photos I took from a recent whale watch with my new Kp!

08-04-2018, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SamanthaDG Quote
Hello! I just recently upgraded my Kx to a Kp last week! I am still new to photography, I used my Kx often but wanted something more professional as I am looking to up my photography game, and using it for my daughters gymnastics- would love some ideas for lenses good for indoor sports (I know, I know, Pentax doesnít do sports..... &#128518 thanks! Here are a couple photos I took from a recent whale watch with my new Kp!
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new KP. I also have recently got a KP and have noticed how well it does with higher ISO settings which can correlate to action shooting. Iím sure youíll get lots of lens suggestions, but there are different indoor sports and a big question is how close to the action can you get.
08-04-2018, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Samantha. I do not have the KP but is is clearly a worthy member of the Pentax family. You will find many well informed fellow KP users here.
08-04-2018, 08:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! And congratulations on your new KP. Youíre really gonna love the camera. Iíve been taking hundreds of photos during the past two weeks on vacation, and Iíve only discarded about 10, the rest are all nearly perfect SOOC (or with minimal LR edits).

08-04-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome. Consider the new 55-300 PLM lens (not the older screw drive one).

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

It is pretty much the fastest focusing Pentax lens out there right now and together with the KP should give you the best chance for indoor sports.
It doesn't have the fastest aperture but the High ISO performance of the KP should compensate for that.
08-04-2018, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello, Samantha... welcome to the forums! And congratulations on your new KP - a fine camera

For gymnastics photography, you want something with fast, accurate auto-focus and - ideally - a fast, constant aperture (say, f/2.8 or f/4) to handle low light without bumping the ISO sensitivity up too much. A fast, constant aperture - unfortunately - translates to heavy and expensive.

With the KP, though, this is less of a problem due to the very good image quality at higher ISO settings. Because of that, you could probably get away with using a variable aperture zoom. The newer Pnetax DA 55-300 PLM model that @caliscouser recommended is more than likely your best choice due to the AF speed and accuracy. Plus, it has a great reputation for optical performance.
08-04-2018, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #7
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, and welcome from Australia.
08-04-2018, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I just got my KP , moving from a K-5, I do not feel loosing anything, seem great up to now. Welcome.

08-05-2018, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Samantha.

Kind regards,
Mark
(New Zealand)
08-05-2018, 12:51 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

would love some ideas for lenses good for indoor sports
Welcome to the forum, hope you have deep pockets as the ideal lenses required are fast and long... hence the need for deep pockets.
08-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, hope you have deep pockets as the ideal lenses required are fast and long... hence the need for deep pockets.
Yes! I have noticed the costs of these lenses! Ouch! I currently have a kit lens 18-55 from my Kx and a sigma 70-300 not the best lenses, but Iíve still noticed quite an improvement!!
08-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes! I have noticed the costs of these lenses! Ouch! I currently have a kit lens 18-55 from my Kx and a sigma 70-300 not the best lenses, but Iíve still noticed quite an improvement!!
Just wait Ďtil Mistress LBA gets a grip of you.
08-06-2018, 01:31 AM   #13

Welcome to the forum
08-06-2018, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum

regarding what lens to be looking for, may I suggest investing a little $ and renting a lens or two for your own try out?

I have used LensRentals.com with good result, it is not the only company out there

if you do choose to rent, make sure you get the best " protection " program out there for the equipment

if you find a lens you are interested in and want an " experienced " copy, I have had good luck in dealing with forum members in the Market Place " buy & sell "

this might be of interest to you

For Sale: Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, K-70,K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2 and more DSLRs)

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/295303-sa...#ixzz5NO4KPgf1

Item for Sale
eBooks for the Pentax K-1/K-1 II, K-3/K-3 II, KP, K-5/K-5 II, K-50, K-70, and K-S2

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/295303-sa...#ixzz5NO53A0pn

good luck

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-06-2018 at 02:08 AM.
08-06-2018, 06:07 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The newer motorized focus lenses really are worth the money, they track very well. I haven't played with the PLM version of the 55-300 but the 18-135 has no problem keeping up with the dogs at the park, and has a nice reach.