Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2018, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Using K-50 in Manual Mode--Sample Pics

Recently purchased a K-3ii (lightly used) to maximize my APS-C lenses (35mm f/2.4 & 50mm f/1.8 primes; 18-135 mm macro; 55-200mm macro) as the new K-1 Mark ii is full frame and not completely compatible with these lenses. Before I did though, I was taking excellent snaps with my Pentax K-50--still a great camera, but I wanted some newer features and more MP horsepower from the sensor.

I have been browsing the Pentax Forum for several years (I was a Nikon/Canon guy for decades). In 2005 I bought a Pentax 100D and realized the build quality was amazing and even with only 6.1 MP it still produced credible photos. I sold that and moved up to the K-50 because I love the Pentax color signature (I also use Leicas as a walkabout camera as they have their own qualities), but I guess I must be a true Pentaxian since I have now bought 4 of them and continue to believe they are the Prosumers choice for DSLR camera work.

Hope you all enjoy my sample photos with the K-50 in manual mode (I got used it with Leica and I like the control).

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
08-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums! You'll be right at home here

And congratulations on your new-to-you K-3II... it's a superb camera, I know you'll love it!

Lovely first pics. Looking forward to your involvement here
08-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi and welcome to the forum.
08-06-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No one will ever tell you to turn off Manual to auto... a few will do the opposite. I'm an Av guy - I know what f/stop I want and I generally set my ISO and watch what shutter speed is selected. I sometimes shoot in M mode, but but being able to simply use the exposure compensation +/- almost always works for the effects I want and is quicker for me than M mode in changing lighting. I have no qualms with whatever mode gets the shots.

08-07-2018, 05:39 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!
08-07-2018, 12:17 PM   #6
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand"..............William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, hopefully you will continue to enjoy your photography the Pentax way.
08-07-2018, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Welcome to the forums! You'll be right at home here

And congratulations on your new-to-you K-3II... it's a superb camera, I know you'll love it!

Lovely first pics. Looking forward to your involvement here
Thanks. I love the ruggedness of my Pentax and easily sacrifice some speed for quality. Using Leicas for smaller shoots, I believe Pentax is the Leica of DSLR land. Die hard users who are passionate about their pictures. Looking forward to contributing. There's a lot of excellent shooters here
08-12-2018, 06:34 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Manual mode is the best way if you have the skill and time. Keep it up!

08-14-2018, 04:03 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Thanks for sharing your pictures. Manual mode is the best way if you have the skill and time. Keep it up!
Thanks. I learned on manual mode. I bought my first camera when I was 14 in 1975 (it was a Canon FTBn--I still have it-it's in pristine condition) and I remember how excited I was to shoot in Tri-X Pan 400 film. Even though it was Black and White I thought that was fast and it was flexible enough to step it to 800 with good lighting. Of course I tried automatic cameras but then I bought an old Leica M8 and wow was that fun, except I missed the versatility of SLRs. So, I bought a PENTAX 100d and enjoyed it for 6 years, then the K-50 (which I just sold) and the K-3ii (I'm selling now).

I love the K-1ii because of its heft and speed. I was snapping photos form a moving train on the Ben Franklin Bridge (out of Philly) and was surprised how fast the K-1ii's focus is. The reviews are dead wrong, you can use this camera at NASCAR and produce excellent images.
08-28-2018, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
G'day mate and welcome to the forum

country life is the best mate