Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #1

Newbee photographer from QC - seeking info his 1st camera

Hi everyone,

My name is Tanguy and i'm in my early 30 and i live in Québec and work in Agriculture. I've be done iphonography since 2012 and using Moment Lenses for a couple of months now. Using those lenses on my iPhone really hocked me on photography. On my last family vacation i was the only one shooting with my phone, most of the other (small) family members where shooting on their DSLR. Which make realized the limitations of my iPhone, even with the nice Moment Lenses on.

Therefore i'm looking for a mid-level camera with a good variety of lenses (i love prime lenses) and a sturdy built. Primarily i was thinking of buying a Fuji because of the great X-series lenses and the wide range of camera body that comes with (from the XT100 to the XH1). However, i know that Pentax (on which my father shot) is the best in class for weather-sealing and offers the same K-mount for most of its camera lineup. The 5-axis stabilization is also quite appealing. I will write a post in the "Product Suggestion" section to ask for your advice.

Many thanks

Tanguy

08-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome, Tanguy.
Good luck with your decision making. There are a lot of good cameras out there. I too find the Fuji products intriguing. It might help to mention the type of things you like to photograph.
08-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Johnyates.

To be honest with you haven't find "my type of thing" yet. I like to shoot landscape but live in a flat countryside where finding good perspective isn't easy. Therefore i'm quite open on the type of photography i would like to do (street, portrait, B&W).

In fact i'm posting here because of this very YouTube video:
08-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The KP is a great smaller DSLR with huge features.

08-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Tanguy , I am from Laval , I just sold my K-5 and got the KP, major improvement. I also got the new DA55-300 PLM who is great with the really fast focus and silent .
. Their a small Pentax Quebec Group on the forum.
I got a great deal on KP 2 weeks ago from Amazon.ca. You can follow price with camelcamelcamel , on the KP
pentax kp | Amazon Product Search | camelcamelcamel.com
08-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax forums.
08-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Essentially, i you're buying new, your choice of body boils down to (in rough order of price/features):
K-70, KP, K-3ii, K-1

Check out the reviews section, where you'll find staff and user reviews and comparisons. Decide on the features that are important to you and that will guide your choice.

Of course feel free to ask more questions if you are struggling.

08-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanguy Quote
Thanks Johnyates.

To be honest with you haven't find "my type of thing" yet. I like to shoot landscape but live in a flat countryside where finding good perspective isn't easy. Therefore i'm quite open on the type of photography i would like to do (street, portrait, B&W).

In fact i'm posting here because of this very YouTube video: 5 Reasons to Buy - The Pentax KP - Affordable mirrorless killer? - YouTube
Welcome aboard. If you want some new perspective, just lie down and look around. Amazing how different things look from only a few feet away.
08-15-2018, 01:56 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanguy Quote
seeking info his 1st camera
Welcome to the forum, we can certainly help you to spend your money.
08-15-2018, 05:42 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! I am intrigued by the FUJI system, they're attractive. They're expensive, too.
08-15-2018, 05:44 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum.
08-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #12
Forum Member

I'd love to get my hands on a KP - it's a fascinating looking camera! But my K-7 is still pulling its weight 9 years later, and I have no excuse on my budget!
On the other hand, I would be hard pressed to give up my top-lcd...
08-15-2018, 08:06 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photography on flat land? Does that even work?/
We need a special section for "flatlanders".

Given your in-expereice, my guess would be K-70 to K-P, decide on price not features. In situations like this always buy the newest model if your budget can afford it.

Persoanlly I'd go for it packaged with an 18-135.

The "starter primes " are the DA 35 2.4, DA 50 1,8, and 40XS.
Or if you are a quality not quality type guy, just buy a 31 ltd.

There are often M, A, F and FA lenses for sale second hand that can get you started with great gear. Part of the fun of Pentax is getting great images with older lenses. With Pentax, picking up old lenses and putting them through their paces is part of the hobby. {entax is bring out new high quality glass like other camera companies. But some of us are using or have used lenses that are 30-50 years old. And with Pentax, all of those lenses make use of the in camera stabilization (Shake Reduction) for excellent hand held images, with every Pentax lens ever made.
08-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

we have a number of members who are from Canada

these charges might be helpful:

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

nothing wrong with buying new but if $ is an deciding issue, there are lots of older models of Pentax Camera bodies which would be great to start with

the K 5 series, K 3 and K 3 II are worth looking at as well as others

Pentax Digital Cameras and Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax K-1 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

be sure to check out what " experienced " equipment is available from members in the market place

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses - PentaxForums.com
08-28-2018, 12:48 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum