Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2018, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Greetings from NYC

Hello everyone,

I recently changed systems from Canon back to Pentax after being away for many years. Recently acquired a K1 Mark II with the 28-105 "kit" lens, a Tamron 70-200, Tamron 90mm macro, Irix 15mm, and Pentax 50mm 1.4 prime.

My very first SLR was given to me about 28 years ago by my dad. It was a Pentax ME Super. I learned the fundamentals of photography on that camera and used it for about 10 years off and on before moving to medium format. My MF days were spent mostly with Mamyia RB and RZ bodies. I still have an old Arax 6x6 that I kept for posterity. Once digital took off, I went Canon and remained with them until August 3rd - the day I traded my 5D in and Canon glass for a Pentax K1 Mark II.

Surprisingly, moving to a completely new system didn't require much retraining but I'm still learning the odds, ends, and quirks of my new body. Anyway, thanks for reading. If you're interested in seeing some of my photos, they're available on my website at www.jamespaulsarte.com

Best,
James

08-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax forums. I also have a K-1 II. It is excellent and I am enjoying it.
08-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome to the forum!
08-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome. Being in NYC makes it easy to visit B&H Photo to see Pentax gear.

I'm curious why you picked K-1 instead of the more obvious Canon upgrade of a 5D mark-whatever. Where was Canon coming up short for you?

08-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Welcome. Being in NYC makes it easy to visit B&H Photo to see Pentax gear.

I'm curious why you picked K-1 instead of the more obvious Canon upgrade of a 5D mark-whatever. Where was Canon coming up short for you?
It was more of an emotional decision rather than a rational one to be honest. Plus I've always wanted to go back to Pentax. I just wasn't ready to do it until their FF bodies matured.

And true about B&H. I do like that store very much and I see they have a presence here. However for full disclosure, I did end up buying mine from Adorama which only happens to be a few blocks from where I live.
08-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
Hello everyone,

I recently changed systems from Canon back to Pentax after being away for many years. Recently acquired a K1 Mark II with the 28-105 "kit" lens, a Tamron 70-200, Tamron 90mm macro, Irix 15mm, and Pentax 50mm 1.4 prime.

My very first SLR was given to me about 28 years ago by my dad. It was a Pentax ME Super. I learned the fundamentals of photography on that camera and used it for about 10 years off and on before moving to medium format. My MF days were spent mostly with Mamyia RB and RZ bodies. I still have an old Arax 6x6 that I kept for posterity. Once digital took off, I went Canon and remained with them until August 3rd - the day I traded my 5D in and Canon glass for a Pentax K1 Mark II.

Surprisingly, moving to a completely new system didn't require much retraining but I'm still learning the odds, ends, and quirks of my new body. Anyway, thanks for reading. If you're interested in seeing some of my photos, they're available on my website at www.jamespaulsarte.com

Best,
James
Welcome!

I followed a path similar to you. I started off with a Pentax ME/SE, but moved to Canon because of their FE lenses. Recently I've been lower budget than you - I left Canon after two Rebels in a row let me down, and I'm a happy K-30 user right now. I found that Rebel mechanics were similar enough to the K-30 that learning the Pentax system was straight-forward. I still had a few items left from my previous Pentax time, and they work just fine on my new one.
08-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! You have a great kit!

08-15-2018, 02:15 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to Pentax.
08-15-2018, 07:45 AM   #9
SJM
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums
08-28-2018, 12:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
G'day mate and welcome to the forum

used Bronicas in the studio, mate had an RB, fantastic camera