Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2018, 05:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

Looking to upgrade camera...

Hello everyone, new to the forum, I'll get to the introduce yourself thread in a bit. I'm currently shooting with a Pentax K1000. I do love its simplicity and manual controls. I've been looking at possibly going with an ME Super for alittle more automatic features. I've stumbled across the LX, its just plain gorgeous!!! But after seeing the price tag and the many posts about needing a proper CLA, and how parts are becoming rare I'm deciding against it. The MX however looks just as lovely as the LX. For a camera to be auto or manual, it doesn't matter to me. I'd like the option of manual if I did go with a camera body that had some auto controls along with it. So, I'm asking for alittle direction as to what to upgrade to next? I'll keep the K1000 as a second body, I'd enjoy having two along with me. One for color and the other for B&W. Any help would be appreciated.

08-16-2018, 06:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The experts will chime in soon. I really like the MX and of course the LX. The MX is more rationally priced.
08-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your survey has certainly shown you all the differencies between the cameras.
Just to highlight the difference in every day usage:

The MX offers the same concept as the K1000.
Just a lot of additional features, like seeing the exposure time and (at good light) the aperture in the viewfinder, changeable screens for the viewfinder, DOF preview, self timer, the possibility to use a winder, a motor drive, a data back, or a bulk film back (forgot the name of this device).
Motor drive in connection with bulk film compartment and timer (or photo cell trigger) enabled the usage as a surveillance device.
Not to forget: the MX is smaller than the K1000.

I do own a MX, but it does not get much usage. In the 1980s, for a while a ME Super was my only SLR, and I really loved that camera.
Compared with the MX, it misses the DOF preview, the changeable screens, and does not show the aperture in the viewfinder. But it has manual mode AND aperture priority, which comes handy if unexpectedly a subject worth photographing appears. If you are not prepared, the opportunity may be lost with manual mode only.
The ME Super also has a fall back if the batteries are empty or electronics fail to work: in X mode you can still shoot with 1/125 sec exposure time.

Alternative solutions all depend heavily on electronics, and your question seems to indicate you prefer mechanics with minimum automation.

With all cameras of this age, keep in mind CLA may be needed, even if offered as being in perfect working condition. Every model has its known issues, if so old and likely not been in usage for a decade or more. Some faults may only start showing after you used it for 2-3 rolls of film.

Last edited by RKKS08; 08-16-2018 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Some typing corrected
08-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Any camera you buy from the Pentax film era will probably have a CLA, unless it had one recently (and that will probably be reflected in the price anyway).

Still, great cameras. I wish I had more time and money to shoot film and get it scanned properly.

08-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have a K-1000. It has all of the mechanical ability I need in a film camera. Though I enjoyed being able to use it, I love now having the dslr option.
08-16-2018, 09:08 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This may help also: Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
08-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And while I have never owned one of these I think this is a pretty nice camera option if you can get used to the pushbutton shutter speed controls. I shoot in Av most of the time so it doesn't seem like much of an issue for me.
Pentax Super A / Super Program - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

08-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Super Program has everything the ME Super does plus Shutter Priority, Program and TTL flash. Garry's Camera Repair charges the same for a CLA on both cameras ($50.00 + $8.00 shipping)
08-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Your survey has certainly shown you all the differencies between the cameras.
Just to highlight the difference in every day usage:

The MX offers the same concept as the K1000.
Just a lot of additional features, like seeing the exposure time and (at good light) the aperture in the viewfinder, changeable screens for the viewfinder, DOF preview, self timer, the possibility to use a winder, a motor drive, a data back, or a bulk film back (forgot the name of this device).
Motor drive in connection with bulk film compartment and timer (or photo cell trigger) enabled the usage as a surveillance device.
Not to forget: the MX is smaller than the K1000.

I do own a MX, but it does not get much usage. In the 1980s, for a while a ME Super was my only SLR, and I really loved that camera.
Compared with the MX, it misses the DOF preview, the changeable screens, and does not show the aperture in the viewfinder. But it has manual mode AND aperture priority, which comes handy if unexpectedly a subject worth photographing appears. If you are not prepared, the opportunity may be lost with manual mode only.
The ME Super also has a fall back if the batteries are empty or electronics fail to work: in X mode you can still shoot with 1/125 sec exposure time.

Alternative solutions all depend heavily on electronics, and your question seems to indicate you prefer mechanics with minimum automation.

With all cameras of this age, keep in mind CLA may be needed, even if offered as being in perfect working condition. Every model has its known issues, if so old and likely not been in usage for a decade or more. Some faults may only start showing after you used it for 2-3 rolls of film.
WOW, thank you for this... it would be nice to have DOF preview, not that its needed really. I have found a black ME Super that looks fantastic. I honestly love the black bodies of the KX, MX, and LX. Not that I do alot of street photography, but even when trying to shoot the kids, or the wife when she's not looking, it'd be nice to have aperture priority. We also shoot weddings, which I do use a DSLR when doing so. I bring my K1000 to get shots here and there, so AP would be nice to have in those situations as well. If it wren't for the price tag, and the rare parts for an LX, I would totally pull the trigger on one...
08-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I had a Super Program, bought new but sold long ago. I have only good memories of it. Fantastic camera, highly recommended. The extra automation that is has over the ME Super is worth having, especially TTL auto flash.
08-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The Super Program has everything the ME Super does plus Shutter Priority, Program and TTL flash. Garry's Camera Repair charges the same for a CLA on both cameras ($50.00 + $8.00 shipping)
I just found a couple of these, I may just go with a Super Program for now. I'm not completely ready to spend a few hundred dollars on a new body just yet. I figure having a camera with aperture priority for a bit will be fine for now.
08-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi and welcome to the forum!
08-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, as soon as you manage to get deeper pockets, an LX should be at the top of your list, as IMHO there is no finer camera, I still have a couple myself.
08-16-2018, 02:20 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, as soon as you manage to get deeper pockets, an LX should be at the top of your list, as IMHO there is no finer camera, I still have a couple myself.

I'm starting to question if I should just hold off and wait until after the holidays to start saving for a LX. I'm just ready to move on from my K1000 already...

So, the Super A/Program A. When searching on ebay for Program A i'm finding Program Plus. Is this the same?
08-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by craveone Quote
I'm starting to question if I should just hold off and wait until after the holidays to start saving for a LX. I'm just ready to move on from my K1000 already...

So, the Super A/Program A. When searching on ebay for Program A i'm finding Program Plus. Is this the same?
Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Program A and Program Plus are not the same camera as the Super A / Super Program. The Super A / Super Program seems better.