Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Program A and Program Plus are not the same camera as the Super A / Super Program. The Super A / Super Program seems better.
is it worth a $40 difference for One camera to say super a instead of program a?

08-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by craveone Quote
is it worth a $40 difference for One camera to say super a instead of program a?
Super Program was the US name, Program A was the international name. And I'm pretty sure the Program A only came in black...(There is an eBay listing that is just wrong)

Program A/ Program Plus was a lower end camera.
08-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
If I pull the trigger for the Super A. I'll pay the extra for the one listed in Japan.
08-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Read the reviews on the link and especially the summaries. These are not the same cameras.

Pentax Super Program / Super A review ? Simon Hawketts' Photo Blog
Pentax Program A short camera review ? Simon Hawketts' Photo Blog

The differences are summarized in the second link and here:

Program A has a lower flash sync speed
Program A has no TTL mode for flash
Program A does not support Shutter Priority
Program A max shutter speed is 1/1000 vs. 1/2000

That's the major differences summarized as far as I know. Both should be relatively cheap. $40 difference from what to what? The starting point matters. $10 vs. $50 - I might still do it.

08-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Read the reviews on the link and especially the summaries. These are not the same cameras.

Pentax Super Program / Super A review ? Simon Hawketts' Photo Blog
Pentax Program A short camera review ? Simon Hawketts' Photo Blog

The differences are summarized in the second link and here:

Program A has a lower flash sync speed
Program A has no TTL mode for flash
Program A does not support Shutter Priority
Program A max shutter speed is 1/1000 vs. 1/2000

That's the major differences summarized as far as I know. Both should be relatively cheap. $40 difference from what to what? The starting point matters. $10 vs. $50 - I might still do it.
The Super A in Japan is around 70 bucks, no lens. The Super Program turns out to be something different. Some of them say super program, or program plus... If I'm going to spend 70 plus on a body with shipping. Might as well get the one that actually says "Super A"

---------- Post added 08-16-18 at 05:46 PM ----------

And after looking at the Super A, it has a weird digital back added to it. Not sure why...
08-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have too many film cameras, but... I did have the LX before the K1000. Both have had a CLA, and both work just as the day they were made. Sometimes I forget I have the K1000 because the LX is such a beauty to use.

I noticed you mentioned several times that parts are getting hard to find for the LX. I have a camera repair man a couple of miles from my current house, who does all of my work. He didn't think it was any harder to get parts for than any other camera its age. (The K1000 may be the easiest to get parts for simply because there were so many produced) Just beware, there are so many accessories that were made for the LX, it can become something of an addiction trying to get all of them.

I do not have an MX, so I can't comment, though I'll probably get one before it's all said and done.
08-17-2018, 05:27 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
I wanted to make sure with what I'm reading that my lenses from my K1000 would work with either a Super A, MX, or LX. I have a SMC Pentax-A 1.2 50mm, SMC Pentax-M 3.5 135mm, and a SMC Pentax-M 1.2 28mm. Will these work? I found a really good deal on an LX, that I may just purchase soon.

08-17-2018, 05:49 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I had an MX, LX and Super A.

I still have the LX, but haven't used it in a while. Great camera, if you get a good one. The word on the internets is that is not easy or cheap to keep them operational. Under the bonnet the electronics changed over the years and some parts now tend to be made of unobtanium.

Of the other two, the Super A gets my vote. The MX is just a bit basic (no auto exposure) in comparison, but it is all mechanical and that is worth considering.

The TTL auto flash that the Super A gives you is worth the extra money over the Program A.
08-17-2018, 06:21 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I had an MX, LX and Super A.

I still have the LX, but haven't used it in a while. Great camera, if you get a good one. The word on the internets is that is not easy or cheap to keep them operational. Under the bonnet the electronics changed over the years and some parts now tend to be made of unobtanium.

Of the other two, the Super A gets my vote. The MX is just a bit basic (no auto exposure) in comparison, but it is all mechanical and that is worth considering.

The TTL auto flash that the Super A gives you is worth the extra money over the Program A.

I'm honestly having a REALLY hard time with figuring out which one to go with. The Super A is closer to my price range right now. The LX is alitte out there. I have found some at REALLY good prices on Ebay, all from Japan. But I'm worried about maintenance in the long run. Don't want to drop that much money only to have to pay the price of the camera or more for repairs.. The LX is gorgeous, and I like the fact that it changes exposure with light in real time. I've been wanting to do more long exposure night photography stuff, and this camera sounds like it does it all. Plus, I'm really looking for some automatic features. I enjoy shooting manual with my K1000 and my DSLR. But there are times I wish I was able to just set it to Aperture Priority and just focus on composition and having fun shooting. The Super A looks like a wonderful camera, but I know the LX surpasses it by a long run...
08-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm honestly having a REALLY hard time with figuring out which one to go with. The Super A is closer to my price range right now. The LX is alitte out there. I have found some at REALLY good prices on Ebay, all from Japan. But I'm worried about maintenance in the long run. Don't want to drop that much money only to have to pay the price of the camera or more for repairs.. The LX is gorgeous, and I like the fact that it changes exposure with light in real time. I've been wanting to do more long exposure night photography stuff, and this camera sounds like it does it all. Plus, I'm really looking for some automatic features. I enjoy shooting manual with my K1000 and my DSLR. But there are times I wish I was able to just set it to Aperture Priority and just focus on composition and having fun shooting. The Super A looks like a wonderful camera, but I know the LX surpasses it by a long run...
The LX has the finest long exposure capability of just about any camera. The TTL metering is fantastic and can react after exposure has started. However film reciprocity failure is something it cannot understand so depending on the film you use this could make this capability less impressive. Of course the -6.5 EV low light limit to the metering is irrationally good. Also the 125s max for Auto exposure is wrong. That's based on a particular ISO and f/stop. I have seen LX's run the shutter over 5 mins and get properly exposed film. I have read about people having > 25 min exposures work out.
08-17-2018, 07:46 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
The LX has the finest long exposure capability of just about any camera. The TTL metering is fantastic and can react after exposure has started. However film reciprocity failure is something it cannot understand so depending on the film you use this could make this capability less impressive. Of course the -6.5 EV low light limit to the metering is irrationally good. Also the 125s max for Auto exposure is wrong. That's based on a particular ISO and f/stop. I have seen LX's run the shutter over 5 mins and get properly exposed film. I have read about people having > 25 min exposures work out.

Thats whats the most attractive about it. The live exposure metering. I shoot weddings, mainly with a DSLR, but I'd love to be able to use a film camera for them that I don't have to think about settings so much. Being able to catch some moments on film would be great! My K1000 is hard to do that with. The LX is looking more and more the way that I want to go. I am alittle hesitant about purchasing from Japan. Mainly for the shipping charge. I'm just finding really the lowest pirces for the body alone are in Japan.
08-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I wanted to make sure with what I'm reading that my lenses from my K1000 would work with either a Super A, MX, or LX. I have a SMC Pentax-A 1.2 50mm, SMC Pentax-M 3.5 135mm, and a SMC Pentax-M 1.2 28mm. Will these work? I found a really good deal on an LX, that I may just purchase soon.
take a look at these charts:

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
08-17-2018, 07:57 AM   #28
Pentaxian

The real time exposure capability of the LX is wonderful. Back in the day there was nothing like it. I once took some shots during a thunderstorm. I dialed in maximum aperture, set the shutter to auto and clicked away. Exposure time was about twenty or thirty seconds. I made a number of shots. For my trouble, I got a wonderful picture of a perfectly exposed landscape with some ominous lightning on the horizon. Being very proud of it, I entered my slide at the monthly photography club meeting.

The judges liked it but said that the lightning was just luck and I didn't get a top score. With a Nikon/Canon/Contax/whatever of the era you certainly needed luck but an LX could make its own luck.The club rules did not allow for debate, discussion or explanation during judging, however. To say the least, I was livid with anger very disappointed. BTW, I haven't been to a photography club meeting in a long time, but that is a topic all of its own.
08-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thats whats the most attractive about it. The live exposure metering. I shoot weddings, mainly with a DSLR, but I'd love to be able to use a film camera for them that I don't have to think about settings so much. Being able to catch some moments on film would be great! My K1000 is hard to do that with. The LX is looking more and more the way that I want to go. I am alittle hesitant about purchasing from Japan. Mainly for the shipping charge. I'm just finding really the lowest pirces for the body alone are in Japan.
The Super A will handle weddings with the TTL flash ability and the basic metering and automation. The LX can do things like go into a dark cellar and take a shot that looks normally lighted without too much complication (film reciprocity needs to be checked.
08-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
The Super A will handle weddings with the TTL flash ability and the basic metering and automation. The LX can do things like go into a dark cellar and take a shot that looks normally lighted without too much complication (film reciprocity needs to be checked.
You Devil!!! lol. The live exposure sounds amazing. Not that the Super A doesn't. It's still a toss up. its going to be either/or, not both lol