Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2018, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Aloha from Big Island Hawaii!

Hi,

I have been here maybe a bit over a week now and enjoying everything I am learning here. It feels good to know there is a community of Pentax users who can stand by each other in our professions and hobby of creating photos..

I decided to make the switch from my Nikon and could think of no better value for an upgrade than a Pentax k70 until I can afford a K-1 or K-1 II. Seriously have my eye on the August but maybe wishful thinking lol.

It's been 12 years now that I have been messing around with Photography as a hobby and started to take it more seriously when I got a license marketing deal with Getty through the EyeEm community which I recently left due to a change in their privacy policy.

Up until a month ago I did not know much about Pentax but being the obsessive person that I am, hunted down every little nitpicking thing that a fine photographer would want, and this is it. So, nice to meet you all!

I've attached some images I took with a Nikon Coolpix P530 over the past three years. Looking forward to being inspired by everybody's talent here!

Just keep snapping..

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX P530  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX P530  Photo 
08-17-2018, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
cool!
and welcome
08-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks mikeSF !
08-17-2018, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Nice shots! Welcome!

08-17-2018, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #5
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Haute Wada Quote
So, nice to meet you all!
Good to meet you too !! Hi from Australia, and welcome aboard the Pentax forums.
08-17-2018, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Dandy Quote
Nice shots! Welcome!
Thanks!

---------- Post added 08-17-18 at 09:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Good to meet you too !! Hi from Australia, and welcome aboard the Pentax forums.
Thanks and Cheers!
08-18-2018, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum. You are getting good shots with your current gear. I'm sure the quality will improve even more when you have an SLR.

(Keep posting photos).
08-18-2018, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #8
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the clubhouse! Nice work you're presenting - hope to see more

08-18-2018, 06:30 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Welcome to the Forum. You are getting good shots with your current gear. I'm sure the quality will improve even more when you have an SLR.

(Keep posting photos).
Thanks so much!!

---------- Post added 08-18-18 at 06:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Welcome to the clubhouse! Nice work you're presenting - hope to see more
Thank you )
08-18-2018, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Hi and welcome to the forum.
08-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much
08-19-2018, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #12
Moderator PEG Gallery
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund......... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" William Blake
Aloha from Big Island Hawaii!
Welcome to the forum, enjoy all that it has to offer.
08-19-2018, 02:21 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, enjoy all that it has to offer.
Thanks Kerrow! I am enjoying and learning so much already!

---------- Post added 08-19-18 at 02:27 AM ----------

Today's Fave Capture - A currently unidentified but rare and endemic plant to Hawai'i - possibly called an 'Ohe. I adopted it last year and it is doing well and braving the heavy rain and thunder that we had up on Kilauea Volcano today. Brave little guy <3

[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 08-19-18 at 02:51 AM ----------

So I am also trying to figure out how to meter myself into a staged low light self portrait. I am working with the kit lens 18-150 mm is it? If ya got tricks or suggested lenses, would love to know what you would do! Thanks for viewing

Last edited by Haute Wada; 08-19-2018 at 02:52 AM.
08-19-2018, 03:29 AM   #14
Moderator PEG Gallery
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund......... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" William Blake
If ya got tricks or suggested lenses, would love to know what you would do!
Hi Vei, I'm probably not the best guy to be asking... as I'm old an "old school" photographer with fast manual prime glass.

I see from your online presence that your already offering photography services of various types and rates, are you doing these yourself or sub contracting the work out?

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 08-19-2018 at 03:36 AM.
08-19-2018, 06:56 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Hi Vei, I'm probably not the best guy to be asking... as I'm old an "old school" photographer with fast manual prime glass.

I see from your online presence that your already offering photography services of various types and rates, are you doing these yourself or sub contracting the work out?
Hi Kerrow! Yes, I do offer services locally here on the Big Island, I am prepped to sub contract out to select local artists for digital rendering or for full development of graphic designs and some video work if I am directing a campaign that I am unable to record myself. As far as Photography, I perform the work myself

I definitely wish I were mature enough to call myself "old school" in the practice of Photography but I have worlds to achieve as far as gear to get things to the level of big city type of work. I am dying to get a K1 because the resolution would allow me to work on more textile quality things but everything in good time.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your take on the value of my rates? I do want to have as much critical feedback as possible because I try to provide some insight to my clients about where goals ought to be vs. the temporary needs. It would help me a lot to have your input on how to maximize in the area of achievement for general projects from a photographers point of view.

---------- Post added 08-19-18 at 07:02 AM ----------

I do like to point out to my clients that branded photography should include studio and lifestyle looking photos for the long haul and reiterate the value of having several pictures in cycle for social media, etc. And then there is the value of client/audience sharing which is how I came up with my "Power of 3" package which includes three business in one collective (and possibly periodic) photo shoot.

I am really just starting out but made a general outline just because the work actually came to me.