Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-18-2018, 06:32 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Who am I?

Firstly I am not new to these forums but rather have not posted here for many years and now that I feel motivated to post this question/comment I have found that my original account has either been deleted or I can’t remember the login. But that is not relevant as far as I am concerned.

A little background on me I joined the printing industry in Australia in the early 80’s and soon after began training as a studio photographer using a Bronica ETRS and large format (10x8”) studio cameras shoot E6 Transparencies. I then took up motorsport photography as I was a fan and had a strong interest in motorsport. At that time I shot mostly E6 film on Olympus gear. My first SLR was an OM1, at the time all professional photographers shoot sports were using Nikon and Olympus wanted a slice of the market so they were both sponsoring events, teams and Photographers to get their name out in the public eye. It was great gear and I was offered a sponsorship which gave a young up and coming photographer access to all the gear and lenses he could dream of…
I was published regularly in several Australian Sporting magazine titles and occasionally in The Fairfax group newspapers.

After many years of this I started to lose the joy of it shooting races became work rather than fun and I decided to put the cameras away. In time I decided that all that gear was a lot of money sitting in the cupboard and sold my gear. By this time I was working in the prepress in the printing industry (where I started out) and I moved into digital prepress working on the screen changed the whole industry and at that time digital SLRs were becoming affordable for the general public. I knew this was the future and decided to look at getting a new camera after some research it soon became obvious that Pentax was ahead of the curve and also the best value for money. So I bought my first Pentax body and lit lens and started shooting for the enjoyment of it again…

These days I shoot for friends and the occasional professional job but mainly for my own entertainment.

08-18-2018, 08:21 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!
08-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums - good to have you with us!
08-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi and welcome to the forum.

08-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome back!
08-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome back! Sounds like you could have a nice chat with @Racer X 69;
08-18-2018, 10:50 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're very welcome - it will be good to hear (more or) your opinions - despite the impression you might have got just now, people here are very open to informed points of view - they might not always agree, but that's how we learn. I look forward to hearing your views and seeing your work.

08-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum. As you may have figured out, there is a fair sized Australian contingent here. Good to have you add to our numbers.
08-18-2018, 04:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome (back) Takker. Sounds as though you will be great resource for many here, through your experience.

As for who you are? Well, I'm guessing early 60's, but beyond that you will need to drop a few more clues....state and camera (as in aps-c, medium format or full frame) purchased may point us in the right direction.

Cheers
08-19-2018, 12:03 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Takker Quote
either been deleted or I can’t remember the login.
Welcome back to the forum, accounts are not deleted, so if you can remember your original details, PM Adam and he'll merge to the two.
08-28-2018, 12:41 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum
08-28-2018, 01:10 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Takker Quote
Firstly I am not new to these forums but rather have not posted here for many years and now that I feel motivated to post this question/comment I have found that my original account has either been deleted or I can’t remember the login. But that is not relevant as far as I am concerned.

A little background on me I joined the printing industry in Australia in the early 80’s and soon after began training as a studio photographer using a Bronica ETRS and large format (10x8”) studio cameras shoot E6 Transparencies. I then took up motorsport photography as I was a fan and had a strong interest in motorsport. At that time I shot mostly E6 film on Olympus gear. My first SLR was an OM1, at the time all professional photographers shoot sports were using Nikon and Olympus wanted a slice of the market so they were both sponsoring events, teams and Photographers to get their name out in the public eye. It was great gear and I was offered a sponsorship which gave a young up and coming photographer access to all the gear and lenses he could dream of…
I was published regularly in several Australian Sporting magazine titles and occasionally in The Fairfax group newspapers.

After many years of this I started to lose the joy of it shooting races became work rather than fun and I decided to put the cameras away. In time I decided that all that gear was a lot of money sitting in the cupboard and sold my gear. By this time I was working in the prepress in the printing industry (where I started out) and I moved into digital prepress working on the screen changed the whole industry and at that time digital SLRs were becoming affordable for the general public. I knew this was the future and decided to look at getting a new camera after some research it soon became obvious that Pentax was ahead of the curve and also the best value for money. So I bought my first Pentax body and lit lens and started shooting for the enjoyment of it again…

These days I shoot for friends and the occasional professional job but mainly for my own entertainment.
Welcome back! Very neat to hear your story come full circle. Look forward to your future contributions.
08-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi and welcome back!
08-30-2018, 02:16 PM   #14

welcome!
08-30-2018, 08:16 PM   #15

Greetings and hope your re-found enthusiasm brings you much joy! Happy shooting!