Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-18-2018, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #1

I'm new to this forum, so give me a chance to say HI!!!
I'm a retired ARMY, 3rd ID who served my country for 15 years from June 1954 to July 1969 and I'm just getting back with my old Pentax ZX-7 camera. Over the earlier years I had the pleasure to take many memorable photos with my Annie (that's my camera) and have shared photos and hundreds of 35mm slides with my grand children and great grand children.
My other passion was to resurrect a 1953 Ford 100 pickup truck which took me and a top notch body shop four years to finish in 2012. It won the best truck of the year at the Super Nationals F100 show in 2012. Took many pictures too. With the encouragement of one of my grandsons to get back into photography. I found Annie tucked away in a retired box in my garage. So I cleaned her up and she still looks like new. Now's the time that I may need some help to locate some Old-School compatible equipment for Annie.
I'm looking for a 70-300mm zoom lens and a flash unit that is compatible with the TTL and manual flash. Have been doing some research on the web with the help of my grandson.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

08-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're very welcome - we look forward to hearing your thoughts and seeing your pictures
08-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums! do you plan to continue to shoot with a film body? - In general, 70-300 zooms are made for the smaller aps-c sensor size and won't cover the corners of full-frame 35 film.
08-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi and welcome to the forum.

08-18-2018, 06:26 PM   #5
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi, and welcome from Australia. Good to have you here.
08-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rollin'Art Quote
I'm new to this forum, so give me a chance to say HI!!!
I'm a retired ARMY, 3rd ID who served my country for 15 years from June 1954 to July 1969 and I'm just getting back with my old Pentax ZX-7 camera. Over the earlier years I had the pleasure to take many memorable photos with my Annie (that's my camera) and have shared photos and hundreds of 35mm slides with my grand children and great grand children.
My other passion was to resurrect a 1953 Ford 100 pickup truck which took me and a top notch body shop four years to finish in 2012. It won the best truck of the year at the Super Nationals F100 show in 2012. Took many pictures too. With the encouragement of one of my grandsons to get back into photography. I found Annie tucked away in a retired box in my garage. So I cleaned her up and she still looks like new. Now's the time that I may need some help to locate some Old-School compatible equipment for Annie.
I'm looking for a 70-300mm zoom lens and a flash unit that is compatible with the TTL and manual flash. Have been doing some research on the web with the help of my grandson.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
Welcome.

Your best choice for any lens for Annie would be a film lens - perhaps a 'FA' lens; most would be used at this point, but there are many fine lenses out there .... perhaps one would even be listed in the Marketplace here.
08-18-2018, 09:01 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I would look at the FA 80-320mm or the FA J 75-300mm (the latter had no aperture ring). Not the fastest to focus, but they'll get the job done

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome to the Forum , look forward to seeing some of your photo's ! Cheers!! Alan from the East Coast of Canada
08-19-2018, 12:06 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, please post some images of your prize winning truck, in the appropriate section of the forum when you get a chance.
08-19-2018, 07:01 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask for suggestion in the film and lens sections. Your will get lots of advice, mostly good
08-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax forums.
08-20-2018, 02:14 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbondo Quote
Welcome to the forums! do you plan to continue to shoot with a film body? - In general, 70-300 zooms are made for the smaller aps-c sensor size and won't cover the corners of full-frame 35 film.
Oh Yes I'm still old school camera buff, although I do have a DSLR. I'm looking into a 70-300 zoom. And thank you for your input.
Rollin'Art
08-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would look at the FA 80-320mm or the FA J 75-300mm (the latter had no aperture ring). Not the fastest to focus, but they'll get the job done
Thanks for your input. I'm currently looking at a Pentax FA 80-320 specs and reviews. This may work just fine for Annie.

Rollin'Art
08-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome

perhaps these charts might prove to be helpful:

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

according to the first chart above your film camera a ZX-7 has a KAF mount

KAF: Provides screw-drive autofocus and supports all exposure modes (P, Av, Tv and M) to the extent the camera/lens combination supports it. It is like a KA mount with a drive shaft for autofocus and with an additional electrical contact allowing the camera to read detailed information from the lens (focal length, actual f/stop, and more).

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-20-2018 at 02:37 PM.
08-20-2018, 07:04 PM   #15

Original Poster
Aslyfox:
WOW!! What a bundle of information. I appreciate you sending this. Had to read twice, but well worth it. I think I'm going with the FA 80-320mm. Love this forum.
Rollin'Art