Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #1

Hello from Indonesia (Selam dari Indonesia!)

Hello to all,

Thought I better break down and register for this site, since I have been lurking for so long- I am an American expatriate living and working in Jakarta for about two years now. I happened on this site a few months ago when I started considering upgrading my equipment, and have not been able to tear myself away since.

I bought my first Pentax SLR (a ZX-10) in 1999 and immediately became a believer, based on the ease of its use and the quality of pictures it took. I finally broke down and bought a K100D a about 2 years back, after serious resistance to the world digital photography. I msut admit I have not touched the ZX-10 since, although I still miss the sharpness of the shots I could take with it.

Like many of you, I continue to wait and see what Pentax comes out with next, and whether it justifies an upgrade. Meantime, I learn something new from this site every time a log in, and have found the lens reviews invaluable.

Cheers,

Cicak

Last edited by Cicak; 09-22-2008 at 06:07 PM.
09-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Selamat datang! Glad you found this site. Got any pictures to share with the rest of the community?
09-18-2008, 11:33 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Selamat Sore! and welcome.
I'm also an expat in Indonesia - living on Sulawesi for the last two months and trying to get some photos of the unique beautiful bird species here.
I like your name - Cicak ! You should get a photo of one and use it as your member photo.
09-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Welcome! I too am an American expat living in Indonesia. :-) Do you still have the ZX-10? Would you like to sell it? :-)

I bought an MZ-50 (ZX-50) used in January and love the picture quality. I wonder if spare parts can be found for the ZX-10 and ZX-50? If it breaks, do you basically have to buy another used one for parts? I'm worried that this could happen, so I'd like to have another SLR as backup.

I'm also trying to find a prime lens (50mm) for my MZ-50, but don't know where to look here in Indonesia. I called Pentax at PD Cahaya Indah Photo and they have no idea how to help me. They only service digital cameras it seems.

My name is also Paul, btw. :-D

Last edited by knightrider; 09-22-2008 at 10:30 AM. Reason: forgot to turn on instant email notification
09-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
Terima kasih, semuanya! Its great to be here, and also encouraging to see that there are other Pentax enthusiasts on the archipelago. As far as the ZX-10 goes, its not for sale right now, although I have no plans for it other than to keep it in my dry box and reminisce. As far as parts for the ZX-50 goes, I would surf ebay and find comperable cameras to buy and hold.

Unfortunately, I have not found many Pentax dealers in Jakarta, nor much used equipment, for that matter. The last lenses I bought are actually from America- I brought them back with me on my last trip home. Incidentally, one of those lenses was a Pentax FA 50 MM f/1.4, which has proven to be a good buy so far.

Incidentally, I saw the same lens for sale new at a camera shop on the ground floor of the Kuningan ITC (I have lost their card, but I will post it when I find it again!). This same shop actually carries a whole range of Pentax lenses. Quite impressive, but I am sure the prices are not. I am not sure which lenses are compatible with the ZX-50, but you might want to stop by there and check them out.

Happy Hunting,

Cicak

Last edited by Cicak; 09-22-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spelling
09-23-2008, 03:33 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Sama-sama

I'll check out Kuningan ITC next month after the Lebaran holiday is over.
My camera can use any FA lens. I saw an smc Pentax FA 50mm f/1.7 for sale on eBay and it was going for $225 (the "Buy It Now!" price), so they definitely aren't cheap.

I would think they'd be more expensive here, especially when considering the "bule" factor (caucasian foreigners are all thought to be rich here). The small shops will raise the price if they see my face, so I think I should ask my wife to go in and negotiate for me as she's a local.

The price is good for a professional lens cleaning. Pentax said it would be only Rp 100.000 ($11). I've never had the lens cleaned though and keep several of those moisture-absorbent packets in my camera bag. It definitely keeps the fungus away.. haven't seen any of that yet.

I've been here for 5 years and there's still so many sights to see and take pictures of. I wish there was B&W film as I find so many scenes which would be perfect for its use, but can't find any of that for sale here. I just use Fuji Superia 200 for now.

I get all of my film developed in a shop called Surya Photo that uses the Fuji Frontier 340 machine. I have had decent prints from them and film negative scans.

I did try Kodak film once here (ProFoto100, which I assume is the same as Kodak Gold in the US) with Kodak processing and the grain was highly visible with a lack of color in general. I was surprised at all the grain, considering it was ISO 100 and it was daylight.

Sorry for all the rambling. Please do post some of the photos you have taken around Indonesia if you have any online or have the time to. I'd love to see them!
09-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #7

selamat datang!

09-23-2008, 10:56 PM   #8

Original Poster
Paul,

The shop with all the Pentax lenses I was thinking of is called BursaKamera, and its actually on the ground floor of the Ambasador Mall, next door to the ITC. Their phone number is 021 576 0118.

Good Luck! Bawa banyak uang!

Just kidding,

Paul
09-24-2008, 07:15 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Terima kasih banyak!

I'll check it out after the holidays.

Paul
09-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Cicak!

Saya bukan ekspatriat yg tinggal di Indo tapi Chinese Indo yg tinggal di Amerika.

Hope you find it welcome in Indonesia, regardless the different prices for bule

K100D is a good camera for daily need. Make sure you get good lenses like the Limiteds. You'll be amaze on how much better your photos will be. (Sharpness, contrast & rendering wise)

Haven't seen cicak for long time here in US.
Like Knightrider said, if you get a chance, please post one!
09-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #11

Is it really that cheap? or just when I dont look rich? just kidding.. is it all second hand or new?