Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2018, 04:34 AM   #16
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
No, your K-50 didn't receive a repair, it received a modification, i.e. you sanded the plunger:

As an electronics technician and if you would have read all the previous posts and warnings about the sanding method you would then have understood very well that this is not the road to go!

All plungers, also those of the white Japanese solenoids have a sharp edge but those of the white solenoid will not snagg the lining of the body because it is made out of PTFE and not PET like the cheap green one.

There are many reports of failures of sanded green solenoids, I myself came across a few and one was a dead end because further damage happened due to the now more uncontrolled movement of the plunger due to being sanded and thus moving with more play... remember, the PET (or PTFE with the white solenoid) acts acts as a bearing for the plunger.

So if you plan to sell this K50 you better offer this extra information that it was not actually repaired (which would mean exchange with a true working solenoid) but it was modified by using this dreaded sanding method.And you are quite right not to trust it as your wrote:

Well, as said, it is not a repair but a (bad) modification, which will work for some time but often is a timebomb!

---------- Post added 10-25-18 at 02:18 AM ----------

This is one of those posts which as well can be so misleading:

You did solve the problem which actually says that you were not that "good with your hands" this time, things like this happen, no question, but then to warn people to be cautious because you did not study enough all posts and did things in haste.

You
a) went the very wrong way by filing an already faulty part, enough has been written about this, so I am not going to repeat myself.

Which is not a repair but a modification which helps for a short limited time that the camera works again but in many cases has lead to final exodus!

b) warning people before sitting down, checking what went wrong

You see, this is what brings confusion in.

Patience is what is needed, if possible prior the repair.
Patience is also needed for finding out what is the correct route to take!
if i were you i would pick up a used k5 (or a k3ii if you can find one). cheap and they still destroy the sony a6500 on dxo. (lol)

try to repair the k50 by actually taking it to an authorized repair center and having them replace the part.

11-09-2018, 03:57 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by punk_rachmoninov Quote
if i were you i would pick up a used k5 (or a k3ii if you can find one). cheap and they still destroy the sony a6500 on dxo. (lol)
I think you quoted the wrong person, because anybody who knows me in this forum knows that I have a K5 as well as a K3.
DXO to me is not very interesting.

QuoteOriginally posted by punk_rachmoninov Quote
try to repair the k50 by actually taking it to an authorized repair center and having them replace the part.
I would not recommend this because hitherto all repaired K50/30/500's which I had the chance to inspect had the same cheap green China solenoid

again. And this was the very reason why those bodys failed again.
I would only bring it to an authorized repair center if they can guarantee me that the solenoid they use is the white made in Japan one.
02-12-2022, 12:30 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Bigrob Quote
My camera is about 3 years old with 5000 shots on it. After not using the camera for a month or so I found myself at the beach during an August thunderstorm with horizon to horizon double rainbows - and I helplessly shot 30 very, very dark photos. Ugh. After some research I discovered the problem, and a “sort of” solution - I mapped the fx button to optical preview, and I exercise the aperature controller daily. But I can never count on the first shot or two working, so can’t capture anything spontaneous.

Can I really order a new aperature controller from the web and install it? Are these parts reliable/reputable? Does the “filing” solution work? Less risk than busting out the soldering iron, I guess.

Anyway, haven’t seen a post in 2018 on this (or missed it) and wonder if more info is now available.

Thanks in advance for any news or ideas.

Bob rob

---------- Post added 08-20-18 at 06:52 PM ----------

Oops, posted this in the wrong place. Sorry folks.
My aperture problems started right after the warranty expired. I tried all the work arounds I found on the Forums and on the web.
None worked beyond a short time. Just about sent the camera away to be repaired.
Then I heard reports that the problem is with the rechargeable battery pack, not supplying enough amperage/voltage for the aperture motor.
I inserted regular AAA batteries and the problem went away. It has been three years trouble free now.