Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #1

Greetings from New Mexico, USA

Hello! My name is Margaret. When I was 11 years old I received my father’s hand-me-down Pentax Program-A 35mm film camera as my first ever camera and I was hooked on capturing life on film the minute he placed it in my hands. Photography and journalism classes followed as did my father and I building my own darkroom in the garage. That poor camera went everywhere with me the next 12+ yrs or so, throughout Jr High, High School, and on to College when it finally died. Despite in the end it was scratched, dented, beat up, and had layers of duct tape holding the leather case together, I mourned the loss of my beloved camera for many years after. DSLRs at the time were just becoming popular but were not within the budget of a broke college student. Alas, that’s where my dreams of a photography career fell by the wayside. Twenty-plus years later, after focusing on and building a successful career in engineering and construction; I finally purchased a new Pentax K-3 DSLR and have been rediscovering my passion for photography all over again. I look forward to relearning my old photography skills (as well as learning some new ones) and being a part of this Pentax community.:)

08-21-2018, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from upstate NY.
08-21-2018, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Margaret, and welcome to the forums - great to have you with us

Thanks for a nice introduction. You're going to fit in just fine around here

Although I have others, the K-3 is my main day-to-day camera. It's a truly excellent model, with everything you could need.

I'm sure your voyage of rediscovery will be a fun one. Let us know if we can ever help out
08-21-2018, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome.

New Mexico is one of the most photogenic areas of the world if you like road trips. Enjoy relearning photography.

08-21-2018, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums.
08-21-2018, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Margaret! Your K-3 will give you joy for a long time.
08-21-2018, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! I clung to my Pentax Spotmatic for eons until I fell off a dock (I’m a born, trained, full-time professional klutz) and it sunk in a very deep lake. Reluctantly I bought a K-1000 and fell in love all over again, so much that I bought another body from the photo editor at the newspaper where I then worked. Still have both. Since then I’ve had a k-10, k-100, and k-3 II. My cameras have been bounced around on horses, slid down rocky trails with me attached, survived rain and sand and the occasional grandchild who want to “take a picture.” That’s the main reason I love the brand, they just take a lickin’ and keep on tickin’.
Do you live near Albuquerqe? They have a fantastic photo club and I have a friend and fellow Pentaxian I would be happy to put in touch with you? He’s good at explaining stuff to someone whose brain has been bounced around as much as her cameras! 😜

08-21-2018, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax Forum Margaret.

You live in a very beautiful State with amazing photography opportunities - I visit every year to collaborate with a colleague, and have had lots of photographic opportunities over the years, including the Balloon Fiesta last year.

Like you I have a K-3. It is a very rugged and versatile camera.

Best wishes for your photography.

Ross
08-22-2018, 12:27 AM - 1 Like   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by mdubbin Quote
rediscovering my passion for photography
Welcome to the forum, enjoy the journey back to photography with your new camera.
08-22-2018, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #10
Closed Account

Hi from Australia.
08-22-2018, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #11
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another "hi" from Australia, Margaret. Welcome to the Forum. There is no other place for a Pentax user to be! I have a K-3 myself and I am still trying to master all it has to offer.
08-22-2018, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi and welcome to the forum!
08-22-2018, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from Chicago!
You have a similar story to a lot of us, my Father's camera was a fully manual Minolta I used for high school events etc. It was so easy! My girlfriend/wife had the X-700 which we eventually destroyed via water damage, though maybe with a good cleaning it would still work. After that it was a series of decent P&S, then finally back into serious cameras. I keep thinking I'm going to load my K-1000 with some film, but never get around to it.

My wife tends to use the Q when doing stuff, or our little shock-and-waterproof camera - but mostly the phone.

It's been a fun journey seeing what other people are doing.
08-22-2018, 07:27 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you all for the warm welcome!
08-28-2018, 12:37 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum

Nice choice, K-3 is a great camera