Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2018, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barthovis Quote
Thanks for that link - I did check it out and it gives me a lot to think about.
Your most welcome.

BTW, there's a special place in my heart for Scotland, besides my great-grandmother being from there
See there's your little bit of Scottish goodness in you.

I have had 3 Westies (all of whom have passed on and I miss dearly).
Would you not consider another?

08-23-2018, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@barthovis Man after my own heart - use the tool best suited (and least compromised) to the task . Adaptability of mounts is a valuable feature for mirrorless cameras.
08-23-2018, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi and welcome to the forum!
08-23-2018, 04:01 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Your most welcome.

See there's your little bit of Scottish goodness in you.

Would you not consider another?
I would have another Westie in a heartbeat. The last two I had were rescues and I might get another rescue sometime. They have so much character

08-23-2018, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax forums.
08-23-2018, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #21
Forum Member

Welcome!
08-24-2018, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

..................................Thanks, Bob. As you saw, the Arch grounds recently got a massive (and much needed) update. I live about a half hour drive to the arch, but have not been there to see the updates yet.

I will look into the Tamron macro. I had not though about needing an additional battery (my last camera came with two batteries). That's another $48
You'll have to give it a re-visit - they were having a grand opening of the new section a couple of days after I was there but all of the new renovated center was open and has really improved the arch with more room for exhibits, etc..

If you go with the K-1, try some Pentax alternatives on the battery. I got 4 Watson batteries and as far as I can tell, they provide the same capacity and performance as the Pentex OEM battery at about $20US. The same charger can be used although Watson batteries are a little on the loose side in that charger so you have to make sure they are making contact when charging.

Two per camera has worked well for me, but if you're a really intense shooter, you might go for more - recharge time is about 5 hours.

Watson D-Li90 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.4V, 1800mAh) B-3704
08-24-2018, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #23
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, most features of most cameras aren't advantages to me (i.e. eye focusing, focus tracking, anything to do with video, etc.). I really only care about image quality and would be happy using the featureless Pentax 67 if it had a digital back. Although the flippy screen on the K-1 is very cool.
That sounds as though Pentax has the orientation that you are looking for. My K-1 has been a terrific upgrade from my APS-C Pentax cameras. It provides me with an image quality that I personally have no need to exceed. YMMV. The flippy screen works very well indeed.

If you do go with Pentax, we look forward to seeing some of your images. Best of luck with your choice. Make sure that you do thorough research. And we're here to help.

08-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
That sounds as though Pentax has the orientation that you are looking for. My K-1 has been a terrific upgrade from my APS-C Pentax cameras. It provides me with an image quality that I personally have no need to exceed. YMMV. The flippy screen works very well indeed.

If you do go with Pentax, we look forward to seeing some of your images. Best of luck with your choice. Make sure that you do thorough research. And we're here to help.

Thanks, Ted. I have not made a decision, and I'm spending perhaps way too much time and mental energy doing research but I'm an obsessive personality.

I have been thinking about upgrading to full frame for a couple years, and would like to have a new camera ready for fall. The K-1 has what I'm looking for, and is highly regarded by everyone who owns, or reviews it, but it requires buying new lenses. Nikon would seem to be a no-brainer, since I have the lenses and spare batteries, but Nikon doesn't have a body that competes with the K-1, or excites me, for anywhere near the price. With a Sony body, I could simply buy a couple adapters and use my existing Zeiss and Nikon lenses, so that should be the end of it right there. But I'm still experiencing cognitive dissonance about the choice and I don't know why

Last edited by barthovis; 08-25-2018 at 04:53 AM.
08-25-2018, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #25
SJM
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
HI Bart and welcome to the forums
08-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But I'm still experiencing cognitive dissonance about the choice and I don't know why
The Sony isnít a DSLR. Fear of the unknown? How does an A7Rxx compare in price to a D850?
08-25-2018, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The Sony isnít a DSLR. Fear of the unknown? How does an A7Rxx compare in price to a D850?
Perhaps apprehension of the unfamiliar Sony A7Rii is $100 more than K-1 II, but comes with two batteries and 1 year of Creative Cloud (which saves me $120).
D850 is $1400 more. Closest Nikon to the K-1 is D810, but it's $800 more, has the same sensor and is an old model at over 4 years on the market. So you see why Sony makes sense
08-25-2018, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps apprehension of the unfamiliar Sony A7Rii is $100 more than K-1 II, but comes with two batteries and 1 year of Creative Cloud (which saves me $120).
D850 is $1400 more. Closest Nikon to the K-1 is D810, but it's $800 more, has the same sensor and is an old model at over 4 years on the market. So you see why Sony makes sense
I think we all understand that if you aren’t already heavily invested in K-mount lenses you have to really want the particular strengths of a K-1 to make Pentax the choice, though they really do extract pixie dust from Sony sensors.

In my case I have the glass and I really don’t like mirrorless bodies.

.:

Last edited by monochrome; 08-25-2018 at 11:13 AM.
08-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think we all understand that if you arenít already heavily invested in K-mount lenses you have to really want the particular strengths of a K-1 to make Pentax the choice, though they really do extract pixie dust from Sony sensors.

In my case I have the glass and I really donít like mirrorless bodies.

.:
No real affinity for mirrorless myself, but the advantage that they work well with adapters is the reason a lot of people buy them. Apparently that has driven up the price of vintage lenses on ebay.
08-26-2018, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Hey, Bart. welcome to the Pentax forums!