Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello from virginia!

I just noticed this introduction thread and realized I had not introduced myself.

30 years of electronics repair experience, cycling,mechanics diy everything and amateur photography gradually grew into an astrophotography(AP) project, and from there it backfed into getting a k-50 a few years ago, only to find it very difficult to use the non tether-able camera for AP despite it winning on all other counts: weight sensor, noise, stability, water sealed for outdoor night use, tons of old manual glass that fit etc. I did get tethering to work in some cameras, (just not my own) by helping get a couple different open source guys working together in Linux, which has now spread, an testing for Gphoto2 for months, sometimes hiding my camera behind my oscope at work while I recompiled latest git. :P --maybe one day I'll have one that will actually work for AP. ;-)

Once I had the k-50 and noticed all the cheap old used lenses around I started collecting. I seldom spend more than 30$ for a lens and have way more than I should at this point and duplicates of a few things. One day maybe I'll get up the nerve to let a few back into the wild.

maybe...

Last edited by blues_hawk; 08-26-2018 at 01:05 PM. Reason: left out the Gphoto stuff.
08-26-2018, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi and welcome to the forum!
08-26-2018, 08:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Thanks!
08-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax forums.

08-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome!
08-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum.
08-26-2018, 12:07 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Gallery
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund......... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
gradually grew into an astrophotography(AP) project
Welcome aboard, please post some of those images with us all.
08-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #8
SJM
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hello there. Welcome to the forums

08-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome aboard, please post some of those images with us all.
Okay! I've been putting some in an album so I can just link to them all at once.
Keep in mind that my ap rig is a DIy work in progress. One pic(m37) is not done with my k-50 but I had to share it anyway as it represents quite a bit of work and things that had to all go the same direction for a change. As it was the sky only cooperated long enough to get a few shots in. Such is summer in the mountains.

---------- Post added 08-26-18 at 12:30 PM ----------

I have more but they're hideous! :P
08-26-2018, 12:36 PM   #10
Moderator PEG Gallery
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund......... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
I have more but they're hideous! :P
These all look pretty cool to me... but then I have no knowledge or understanding of the subject matter and I'm quite happy to wondering about all things celestial...
08-26-2018, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome and great photos! Also, welcome to the LBA (lens buying addiction) club!
08-26-2018, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's a mixture of complicated stacking and drawing out dark wispy gas and dust, and...well, octopus wrestling.
Some of those are fixed mount night shots. Only The reddish heart and soul, and the dumbell nebula are done with the tracking system, a modified/motorized "gem", or german equatorial mount. My system is now fully remote, letting me sit at my desk and see all the wonders hiding just beyond our limitations.

I'm also working on a portable "barn door tracker" which is a curved screw lifting a hinge with a single motor. I decied to make a 21st century version and share the firmware, which will be ready soon..sooner if I stop posting all day on PF. :P It has a bluetooth interface for speed control and saves different speed trims for Solar, Lunar, and sidereal(the stars) tracking speeds between startups. The coolest thing is the overall price is less than 100$ even with the nice ball mount. Almost disposable. I'll do an expo on the thing once I get it tested and shake out a few bugs in software.

Last edited by blues_hawk; 08-26-2018 at 01:02 PM.
08-28-2018, 12:21 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum
08-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
G'day mate and welcome to the forum
Thanks!
08-28-2018, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

Wow! Great shots and look forward to learning more on the process (and gear) to take my own. Keep 'em coming!