Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2018, 06:52 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the clubhouse!

The 16-45 served me well. Now I use the 18-135 or the 21mm instead. It has a reputation for being a little fragile, but I never had any troubles. It's a great lens indoors or in tight quarters.

08-29-2018, 07:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums! You will find needed and not needed help here
08-29-2018, 08:20 AM   #18
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Tim and welcome to the forums.
08-29-2018, 10:28 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! K-50 shooter myself and really like the feel and performance of the camera. You can get great results with a few simple settings and work up from there.

I suggest setting top dial to "TAV" where you control shutter speed and aperture just like a manual film camera. (K50 manual, page 89 and 90)

The front dial controls shutter while the rear dial sets aperture and ISO "floats" within the range you set to make your shutter/ap combo work. ISO 100 to 1600 or 3200 is a good range - use ISO button and dials to set the low and high end of the range you want the camera to use. (pg 87)

Half press of shutter button lets camera meter the scene and tells you if your settings are good. If the green shutter speed or aperture setting readouts blink in the viewfinder, they need adjusting because the ISO range will not allow your combo to work. Change a setting or expand ISO range. If you shoot with light cloudy to bright light outdoors, you should be able to get good results with a minimum of adjustments. I like setting shutter to at least 1/180 to freeze standard shots, even with stabilization working.

Half press of shutter button also focuses any autofocus lenses unless the camera body switch or lens switch are in "manual". Set body switch to AFS and lens (if equipped with a switch, not all are) to auto. Red focus points flash briefly in viewfinder and picture should look good. Focus screen does not have the film camera split screen fine focus center so I rely on the flashing red lights and the green "stop sign" shape showing up in the bottom of the viewfinder to tell me that focus is correct.

If not already giving you an instant review after each shot, set the LCD to show the picture you took and peek/chimp at each one until you see what you like. (pg 66 and 214)

Look at the LCD at first to make adjustments to dials and settings until you are comfortable looking through the viewfinder while your fingers find the adjustment dials.

Once you are getting pictures you like, repeat. It can act like a manual camera with advanced features. Other modes have their purposes and customization comes with time and practice. Straight out of the box it will still do a great job with little fuss.

Enjoy your new gear and come back anytime to PF for questions or help. And to show off your pictures!

08-29-2018, 11:03 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Tim Quote
Big Tim from Maine, long time user of Pentax film cameras, KX, MX, LX as well s assorted med. format cameras. Now with Pentax K-50 and scared to death of it. Hoping granddaughter and Pentax Forums will help. Recently obtained the DA 16-45mm (seems to be well-liked, why did they kill it?) and DA 55-300 ( not WR) That should get me by as I wrestle with this.

Welcome to the forum. When I went digital in 2012 after over 4 decades of using film it was quite a shock to me too. This forum saved my K5 from being set upon my anvil for delicate adjustments to be made with a 4 pound (2kg) hammer. My advice is to mount one of your fully manual 50mm lenses on it and play around with manual mode for a few days. The biggest problems with these cameras is that it is really easy to make a lot of bad images really fast and, in most situations, speed is the enemy of good photography.

My old SMC 55mm f1.8 screw mount lens did the trick for me and saved my K5 from the anvil. . It slowed my down enough to allow me to think my way through the process at a familiar pace. Once I got the manual process under control I started learning the other camera settings. Lots of friendly help here. Enjoy the new camera.
08-29-2018, 11:36 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Tim! I know what you mean. My first camera was SP500 I bought new in 1971. My first real digital (I've owned a couple of P&S cheapies over the years) was a K-01 I bought roughly five years ago. Now I have a K-3 and use all my old M42 lenses with it.

My suggestion is to buy the K-50 e-book by Yvon Bourque, especially if you don't have a pentax K-50 owner's manual. I find his K-3 book invaluable.

Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, K-70,K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2 and more DSLRs) - PentaxForums.com
08-29-2018, 11:40 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's always the case that the basics will win the game. In photography, it's nailing exposure. Digital gives you wiggle room, particularly with underexposure, but the closer you get to optimal the better. That's where the manual lenses will force you to learn how your camera works. The tools are there - the exposure +/- bar is tiny compared with SLR, but it's there. Focus indicators aren't as obvious as the split-focus screens but you'll get used to it.

08-29-2018, 11:56 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Welcome indeed, and don't be too intimidated (it's all about the exposure triangle as the others have noted) by the camera or afraid to ask. I have a K50 myself and enjoy it a lot, in particular with older manual lenses (check the info on the green button if you feel like it).
All the best,
Hans
08-29-2018, 12:14 PM   #24

Welcome Tim ...from Nebraska
The great members here will answer all of your questions ....and even help you spend your money when you are ready :-)
08-29-2018, 12:58 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Davep Quote
Hi Tim! I know what you mean. My first camera was SP500 I bought new in 1971. My first real digital (I've owned a couple of P&S cheapies over the years) was a K-01 I bought roughly five years ago. Now I have a K-3 and use all my old M42 lenses with it.

My suggestion is to buy the K-50 e-book by Yvon Bourque, especially if you don't have a pentax K-50 owner's manual. I find his K-3 book invaluable.

Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, K-70,K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2 and more DSLRs) - PentaxForums.com
Excellent suggestions!
08-29-2018, 02:04 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome Big Tim! Don't be scared, just go out and shoot shoot shoot!
08-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Hi and welcome! Just keep using it. In fact, put it in P mode and when you look at your shots try to remember the conditions, check your shutter, ISO, and aperture, then duplicate them for a similar shot in M mode.
08-31-2018, 03:22 PM   #28

welcome big tim.
08-31-2018, 03:51 PM   #29

Welcome aboard. There's no reason to hate the K-50 since it's not a film camera and 16gb cards are cheap. Just start playing with it and you'll get the hang of it.
09-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Hi, Big Tim, and welcome to Pentax Forums from Tasmania, Australia.

I’ve been shooting Pentax cameras since 1972, so my transition to digital was early in their history. Hate will turn to love, if you approach things in a slow but steady way. You can shoot with full manual control, just like with your old film bodies, or you can leave in on Auto/Program mode while you get the hang of it, and let the camera take care of focus, shutter speed and aperture settings. Shoot JPEG until you feel confident enough with post-processing to tackle shooting in RAW.

The really nice thing is that you don’t need to wait until you’ve finished the roll of film before you see the results. You’ll be fine. Relax and ask for as much advice as you like. The members here are friendly and helpful.

Many thanks. After reading about the problems some have had with K-50/30 I'm a bit wary. I don't think taking pictures; excuse me, capturing images; will be so much an issue for me as dealing with what to do with them post.