Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2018, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #1

Hello, from the "Battle Born" state

Hi, I'm David from Southern Nevada. Just recently started shooting again, after a looong sabbatical... still using film but am researching for a digital makeover. I'm leaning toward the K-1(not the Mark II) at the moment as far as dslrs are concerned. ML is also a possibility. Joined this forum to see what actual Pentax users are saying and, to be able to interact with y'all. My digital knowledge is improving but still in it's infancy. Will try to research before asking what some may consider a "dumb" question. But, my thinking is is that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. So just bear with me as I work to approach "modern" times & tech in photography.

09-02-2018, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!
Kind regards,
Mark
09-02-2018, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard! You will find a wealth of information and opinions here.
09-02-2018, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello David and welcome to the Forums.There is a wealth of knowledge to be found here. .

09-02-2018, 09:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks folks! Looking forward to getting info on the Pentax line. Don't want to be a C or N fanboy!
09-02-2018, 11:29 PM   #6
Closed Account

Hi from Australia David, welcome aboard.
09-03-2018, 03:42 AM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum. This is a great place to learn (and contribute).

09-03-2018, 04:54 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DesertRat Quote
...still using film but am researching for a digital makeover. I'm leaning toward the K-1...
Hello David. It's good to know that there is more than one person in southern Nevada who has an interest in Pentax digital cameras. When I moved to Las Vegas in 1979, there were eleven photographic equipment retail specialty stores. Now there is only one and it does not carry any Pentax branded equipment. Perhaps when the local daytime temperature is a little more comfortable, we could meet at Spring Mountain Ranch State Park or Clark County Wetlands Park to provide you with an opportunity to see how the Pentax K-1 feels in your hand. Bring your own SD memory card if you want to take some K-1 images home with you. I'm always happy to help if I can.

Dennis
09-04-2018, 02:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum
09-04-2018, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, I'm David from Southern Nevada. Just recently started shooting again, after a looong sabbatical... still using film but am researching for a digital makeover. I'm leaning toward the K-1(not the Mark II) at the moment as far as dslrs are concerned. ML is also a possibility. Joined this forum to see what actual Pentax users are saying and, to be able to interact with y'all. My digital knowledge is improving but still in it's infancy. Will try to research before asking what some may consider a "dumb" question. But, my thinking is is that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. So just bear with me as I work to approach "modern" times & tech in photography.
Welcome to the forum! I am also a looong-time film shooter, but have been mostly into digital for the past decade. Many others here also come from the film-only era. No need to be concerned about asking any "dumb" questions. Many who come to the forum have virtually no experience in photography, except for their cell phone. You are way ahead of their game-point. We have all been at point one at some time or other, and we are still learning, as learning is a lifelong proposition.

I've got some questions for you,. Since you are still using film, what kind of gear are you using (camera model and lenses)? How long have you been into this and do you have particular kinds of photographic interests? What is it about the "full-frame" K-1 that you find especially attractive? The K-1 is a great camera, but for certain particular uses there could be a better choice. Both FF and APS-C have certain advantages. As to a ML or MILC (Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera) there are pros and cons compared to a DSLR, the most major being having an optical viewfinder vs. electronic VF for mirrorless models. Pentax is the only brand of DSLR cameras offering a pro-grade glass pentaprism VF with 100% frame coverage over the entire current model lineup, including the K-70 entry-level model.

(This might wind up getting moved to the DSLR section! Or maybe you could respond there.)

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-04-2018 at 11:29 PM.
09-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Welcome to the forum! I am also a looong-time film shooter, but have been mostly into digital for the past decade. Many others here also come from the film-only era. No need to be concerned about asking any "dumb" questions. Many who come to the forum have virtually no experience in photography, except for their cell phone. You are way ahead of their game-point. We have all been at point one at some time or other, and we are still learning, as learning is a lifelong proposition.

I've got some questions for you,. Since you are still using film, what kind of gear are you using (camera model and lenses)? How long have you been into this and do you have particular kinds of photographic interests? What is it about the "full-frame" K-1 that you find especially attractive? The K-1 is a great camera, but for certain particular uses there could be a better choice. Both FF and APS-C have certain advantages. As to a ML or MILC (Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera) there are pros and cons compared to a DSLR, the most major being having an optical viewfinder vs. electronic VF for mirrorless models. Pentax is the only brand of DSLR cameras offering a pro-grade glass pentaprism VF with 100% frame coverage over the entire current model lineup, including the K-70 entry-level model.

(This might wind up getting moved to the DSLR section! Or maybe you could respond there.)
I have two Minolta Maxxum 7000 bodies, lenses: 50mm/35-70/70-210, various filters, remote release, tripod (of course). Am looking to add a wide-angle. I do mostly landscape & a tiny bit street. I do all my shooting in Manual mode. Got my first SLR in 1973, a Minolta SRT101. Still have it. Got the Maxxum when it first came out, 1987 I think. Got a part-time job just to get it quicker. Shot a lot then stupidly took a long "break". And, NO, it's not like riding a bike! No video desire at this point. Am looking to get an FF digi.; just a personal preference notion. I like the K-1, by specs&reviews I've read. Plus, a 100% optical viewfinder! Just my preference over an EVF. Seems more than suitable for landscape. Plus, the title of one article I read basically said "be different ". It was about the K-1.The Mark II is refined a bit more but reviewers did not like the forced noise reduction in RAW. Would like to see some "real world" info on that aspect since that is the only thing holding me back on the II. Also, Ricoh has some really good glass.....be different!
As far as MILC, I'm drawn towards the Sony A7RII, a bit cheaper than S's newest. Still leaning toward DSLR over MILC. I have no real desire to become a C or N fanboy. But, I do have some time til my digi makeover comes to fruition. My wants may change by that time (4-6mos). Currently, most of my pics are on negs/slides. Need to get a scanner to digitize. Looking toward an Epson V600 but they're getting scarce-ish. Above that, more than I currently want to spend. See a lot of 550s though. So, in the meantime, I'll just shoot film to get my eye/skills back. A lot of great info on UHH. Still need to "wander around this site to see what's all available.
09-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome

Hello David,

I think you will find the K1 a great camera to start out with. I had also taken a long hiatus but had to shoot a family wedding using film about 13 years ago. After that I made the jump to digital and stayed with the Pentax line as I had used two of them shooting film. I think for the most part the learning curve is easier as you get immediate feedback unlike like the film days.

Larry
09-05-2018, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kelvin 5500 Quote
Hello David. It's good to know that there is more than one person in southern Nevada who has an interest in Pentax digital cameras. When I moved to Las Vegas in 1979, there were eleven photographic equipment retail specialty stores. Now there is only one and it does not carry any Pentax branded equipment. Perhaps when the local daytime temperature is a little more comfortable, we could meet at Spring Mountain Ranch State Park or Clark County Wetlands Park to provide you with an opportunity to see how the Pentax K-1 feels in your hand. Bring your own SD memory card if you want to take some K-1 images home with you. I'm always happy to help if I can.

Dennis
Sounds like a good idea! I'm in Henderson so Wetlands is really close. Also, the Desert NWR is just a little bit north, Corn Creek exit. Nice & cool when you get up into the mountains there.
09-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #14
Forum Member

Sounds like a good idea! I'm in Henderson so Wetlands is really close. Also, the Desert NWR is just a little bit north, Corn Creek exit.
Thanks very much for your reply, David. I live in northwest Las Vegas, midway between Desert National Wildlife Range and Clark County Wetlands Park. Desert NWR Corn Creek Station is a little farther with slighter shorter travel time. I like the convenience of public WiFi access and well groomed waking paths at Wetlands Park. Feel free to choose the location that is best for you. Either is fine for me. The intention, of course, is for you to get a feel for the way the Pentax K-1 handles in a real life photographic environment. You can also get a feel for how the various compatible lens generations handle on contemporary Pentax dSLR cameras.

I'll send you a Private Message with my phone number and e-mail address.

Dennis

Last edited by Kelvin 5500; 09-06-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: changed "further" to "farther"
09-07-2018, 12:57 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'm leaning toward the K-1
Welcome to the forum, IMHO a good choice.