Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Greetings from Indonesia

Hi! I am an American expat living in Indonesia. :-)

I had a P&S Fuji camera in the mid-1990s that got me interested in photography, but it was another 10 years before I actually bought or used another camera. I went for a Fuji Finepix A202 and then finally a Finepix E500.

I got burned out on digital (I took too many useless pics that never ended up being printed out) and found that film better suited my needs. My wife uses the digital now.

I heard a lot about the good reputation of Pentax from a close friend of mine who uses mostly Pentax gear.

So, I then settled on a used Pentax MZ-50 SLR and love it!
A very fine entry level SLR for a low price.

This was perfect for me and I've found that it has indeed sparked in me a more intense interest in photography. I would like to find a better lens as the current one is a cheap zoom (Sigma 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6) and from what I read, a prime lens (50mm) would produce sharper, better quality results and make me work harder for a better picture, which is what I need. I need more of a challenge at this point. :-)

I wonder though: Where can I find spare parts if this one quits working? Can you still order new parts from Pentax and still get service? Where can I find a prime lens that will be compatible with the MZ-50?

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited by knightrider; 09-22-2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: grammatical errors
09-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I wonder though: Where can I find spare parts if this one quits working? Can you still order new parts from Pentax and still get service? Where can I find a prime lens that will be compatible with the MZ-50?
welcome to the forums.

I have no idea about getting parts, especially in Indonesia. I also have no idea if Pentax will still service the camera. sorry I cant be of much help in this respect.

as for the lenses. this is where pentax shines. (in most cases) your camera like all pentax cameras since 1975 use the K mount. this means that every Pentax K mount lens (including manual focus, manual exposure lenses) this also includes any third party K mount lens, will mount on a Pentax K mount camera. unfortunately your particular camera (is that the camera with the plastic mount?) wasn't designed to be able to take advantage of lenses that do not have the 'A' auto exposure setting on the aperture ring. this limits your options considerably when it comes to lens choices. basically any lens from the Pentax A series, forward will work correctly on your camera. anything before the A series and you wont be able to obtain correct exposure (so the manual says).

basically any Pentax (or third party) K mount lens with the 'A' setting is what you can use.

as for a 50mm, in your case (though in all honesty I would likely upgrade to a better Pentax model which will give you access to many, many more lens choices for the K mount as well as the older m42 screw mount.) I would suggest the smc Pentax-A 50mm 1.7 if you want to try manual focus. if you want to stick with auto focus I would suggest the smc Pentax-FA 50mm 1.7. you cant go wrong with either lens, and I assure you that you will fall in love with the photos you will get and the new found joy of photography with a pentax 50mm.

'The' go-to page for K mount information (very helpful)
Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

the lens review database here on the forums:
Pentax Lens Review Database - Main Index

the manual for the MZ-50 (password: Pentax)
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/af/pentax_mz-50_manual_s.pdf

hope that was helpful.
09-23-2008, 03:48 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I would suggest the smc Pentax-FA 50mm 1.7
Thank you very much for all of that information. It was very helpful.
I later looked up that lens on eBay and saw it going for $225 at the "Buy It Now!" price. Is that about how much it should cost?

Mine is the one with the plastic mount (yikes!). Plastic scares me. hehheh.
Maybe I can find an old K1000 around here somewhere. That would really
teach me a thing or two about photography..and no plastic!

Paul
09-23-2008, 04:19 AM   #4
Banned

well there are plenty of older full manual Pentax film cameras that can teach you photography without getting a k1000. as well as plenty of Pentax AF film cameras with full manual control. I am not sure what the current prices are for the FA 50mm 1.7's but I can tell you that ebay should NOT be used as a pricing guide. The FA series as I know is currently 'officially' out of production but pentax still makes them in some quantities.

if you want to buy one new I would suggest keeping an eye on some of the more popular photo retailers such as B&H, KEH, Adorama, and even Amazon. if you don't mind a used one then I suggest keeping an eye on the marketplace here on the forums. you can get great deals from fellow Pentax users who take care of their equipment. I suggest scanning through the selling threads and placing a wanted thread for your lens and see what you can come up with. I don't own this lens as most of my lens collection consits of manual lenses but like any Pentax 50mm (especially with AF) those who own them dont want to give them up. as for your camera: there is nothing wrong with some plastic... your camera was just designed as a basic budget entry-level, I would suggest for an AF film body, going with something in the same series of camera you currently own, but with the ability to use ALL K mount and older m42 lenses (with adapter) as well as having proper manual controls for learning photography, the MZ-5n/ZX-5n would be a great choice. but in the end your current camera is more than capable of taking great photos.

The Photographer's Marketplace - PentaxForums.com

09-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
hai

im indonesian and living in jakarta too. not so many people shooting film lately i think in indonesia. best place to find lenses in Jakarta, especially when we talking old prime lenses probably in old camera market like Pasar Baroe.

or join indonesian Pentax Mailing list.

--
09-23-2008, 01:30 PM   #6

welcome knightrider!

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
hai

im indonesian and living in jakarta too. not so many people shooting film lately i think in indonesia. best place to find lenses in Jakarta, especially when we talking old prime lenses probably in old camera market like Pasar Baroe.

or join indonesian Pentax Mailing list.

--
good to know. I will probably go to Indonesia next year with my grandpa. He wants to go to the place he was born. So I will be in Bandung and Jakarta (he calls it Batavia) for sure then. I will look for those pasars or tokos.
09-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serpiente Quote
welcome knightrider!

good to know. I will probably go to Indonesia next year with my grandpa. He wants to go to the place he was born. So I will be in Bandung and Jakarta (he calls it Batavia) for sure then. I will look for those pasars or tokos.
oke then maybe we can meet that day, and ill show you where the Pasar Baroe is..

LOL